Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Run Fat Boy Run - The lazy mans guide to Ironman and Marathon training.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭griffin100

Ha I was feeling good about my new HM PB until I looked at Bambata's log - 1.29 HM with a few minutes walking :eek: .... different class.

8 Nice hilly miles this evening in the cold and wet but was enjoyable. Was pushing the pace a bit on the hills as I need to start getting a feel for holding close to MP when running upwards. Avg. pace 8.35 / HR 166.

Tuesday
    Finally back into the pool for my second swim of the year. Spent most of the first few hundred meters swallowing water :rolleyes: When you're a mediocre swimmer like me it doesn't take long for swim technique to be lost. 1,500 session:
    200 x 5 off 5 mins (coming in on 4.15-25)
    100 x 5 off 2.30 (coming in on 2.10ish)
    Total pants of course but it's a start. It's not too dissimilar to where I was this time last year and I was happy with where i got to last Summer so I'll keep plugging away.

Wednesday
    8 mile run at lunchtime today (or 13kms for you youngsters)
    5 km @5 min / km pace
    5 x 800m @ 5km race pace (4.00-4.10 min / km pace) followed by 2 min jog
    2km cool down @5.30 min/km pace

Enjoyed that session, it was the first of the 5km pace sessions in the plan.

Had a weight in this morning as it was the first of the month - down by almost 2kgs in the last month so good news. Now hitting 87kgs which was my IM race weight last summer, would be nice to get down close to 81kgs, which for me would be like reliving my 20's again:D

Six nations rugby this weekend to be watched........you know you've got issues when the thoughts of the six nations automatically reminds you of the turbo trainer......its where I've watched the last 3 years matches :pac:

Thursday
    5 mile recovery run. Got in a few hills and ran faster than I probably should have. Avg pace 8.23 min / mile.

Friday
    Back into the pool for my second swim of the week:D
    Did 1,000m straight in 23 minutes dead......absolute sh1te. Finished off with 500m mixed drills and 100m repeats. Really poor. I've identified a couple (only a couple?) of flaws in my stroke I'll work on next time......

Saturday
    6 miles easy run. Was supposed to be 8 miles but my legs felt crap and my HR was all over the place. Did not feel great so knocked it on the head early.

Sunday
    Nothing......missed my LSR. Family stuff came first and tbh I still felt crap so I didn't bother trying to squeeze it in after family stuff. The only good thing was that it was a recovery week so it was a medium LSR - 14 miles - so missing it is not going to be a big issue me thinks. That's the second LSR I've missed in the programme but both were recovery week LSR's so not tooo bad.

Monday
    This is the biggest week in the P&D programme - 55 miles - going to be an interesting week.

No rest day needed due to the missed LSR so 7 hilly miles. Concentrated on trying to keep as close to PMP as possible on the hilly bits as this could be an issue on the hillier parts of Conn. Held a nice pace over the middle hilly 5 miles. Overall averaged 8.14 min/mile pace (PMP is 8 min/mile).

Tuesday
    Back into the pool last night and concentrating on the flaws that I think are in my stroke, namely:
    1. Despite getting better at this I still have a tendancy to cross in front so concentrated on keeping the arms wider than usual
    2. For some unknown reason I pause at the start of my left arm recovery for no reason......dont do it with my right hand (could be that I'm not a balanced swimmer due to my tendanct to always breath to the right)
    3. During the pull phase I tend to turn my hand inwards slightly so that I'm not catching as much water as I should.

With this in mind did:
    400m fc wu
    200m mixed drills - one arm and fist drills
    100m x 4 off 2.15 coming in on 1.55 - a big improvement on a few days ago so very happy
    200m mixed drills
    1,000m straight in on 21 minutes with a very low perceived effort - 2 minutes quicker than last week and getting towards my target 1,000m time in the pool which is as close to 20 mins as possible
    40m cd
    2,040m overall

Really really happy with that session. Getting back to my mediocre self :D

Wednesday
    Plan called for 11 miles with 7miles @ HM pace. Nervous about this one as on my last HM pace run I almost died......2 miles wu / 7 miles @ HM pace / 2 miles cd. My HM race pace is according to McMillan 7.36......miles clocked were
    7.39 / AHR 162
    7.36 / AHR 168
    7.29 / AHR 172
    7.23 / AHR 165
    7.28 / AHR 168
    7.33 / AHR 169
    7.26 / AHR 168
    Avg Pace 7.31
    AHR 167

I cheated a bit and took a flat route but I'm very happy with that, especially the AHR which is well down on my previous HM pace runs, it's actually closer to my target MP HR so I think the fitness is improving. I plan on racing a HM closer to Conn and will be aiming to break 1.40.

Still have a 12 mile and a 20 mile run to do this week.........:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Lex Luther

Great run on Wednesday - a real confidence booster I'm sure ...all looking good so far.
    My money is on you getting an "official " PB between now and Conn if you do race a half.
    Good luck with rest of week.
    LL

Great run on Wednesday - a real confidence booster I'm sure ...all looking good so far.
    My money is on you getting an "official " PB between now and Conn if you do race a half.
    Good luck with rest of week.
    LL

I've entered this - http://www.bohermeenathleticclub.com/Half.html

4 weeks out from Conn so I should be in peak condition........sub 1.40 in mind (i.e. 1.39.99).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

griffin100 wrote: »
    I've entered this - http://www.bohermeenathleticclub.com/Half.html

4 weeks out from Conn so I should be in peak condition........sub 1.40 in mind (i.e. 1.39.99).

With the training times you've been running recently 1.40 is too soft a target.
    At the very least you should be hitting sub 1.35 or even closer to 1.30.
    Don't sell yourself short.

Git101 wrote: »
    With the training times you've been running recently 1.40 is too soft a target.
    At the very least you should be hitting sub 1.35 or even closer to 1.30.
    Don't sell yourself short.

Jaysus Chris, 1.35 might be doable on a good day running downhill with the wind behind me but there's no way a 1.30 is on the cards yet.

Thursday
    Swim: 100 x 10 off 2.15 in on 2-2.03 / 200 mixed drills / 200 x 3 off 4.30 in on 4.10-15 / 200 mixed drills / 200 cd
    Technique was a bit all over the place tonight.

Friday
    12 mile run at lunch time today........if you call taking such a long break 'lunch'. Decided I was going to do as many hills as possible as is my usual with these weekday steady paced runs. Straight away HR was all over the place and I couldn't keep it down. Decided to ignore the HR and concentrate on taking it easy on the flats and downhills and pushing hard on the hills.

12 miles done at avg, pace of 8.24 min / mile - AHR 166 / 708ft of climbing.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/148478267

Happy with that amount of climbing. To put that in perspective as far as I can make out the first half of Conn has 400ft of climbing and the second half around 700ft. I did almost all of my climbing today over the first 9 miles so that's the equivalent of the all the climbing over the second half of Conn in a 9 mile stretch. Still scared witless by the thoughts of the second half of Conn though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

You wont even notice the hills in the first half, there is only one I can remember of note and as I was fresh it was no problem. The scenery in my opinion is much nicer the first half so its all good. Theres a lovely downhill into Leenane as well so be careful on that one I pushed too hard there trying to gain time and got caught on the 1st nasty hill coming out of Leenane.

Rolling for the next few miles and then the one that did the real damage to me was the one at around the 18 mile mark which isn't even that big. I got down on myself at that stage and mentally its tough as you can see the big one coming up in the distance and you are just thinking how am I going to get up that one.

You are in great shape though, I will be interested in seeing what you do in Bohermeen, sub 1.40 will be no problem

catweazle wrote: »
    You wont even notice the hills in the first half, there is only one I can remember of note and as I was fresh it was no problem. The scenery in my opinion is much nicer the first half so its all good. Theres a lovely downhill into Leenane as well so be careful on that one I pushed too hard there trying to gain time and got caught on the 1st nasty hill coming out of Leenane.

Rolling for the next few miles and then the one that did the real damage to me was the one at around the 18 mile mark which isn't even that big. I got down on myself at that stage and mentally its tough as you can see the big one coming up in the distance and you are just thinking how am I going to get up that one.

You are in great shape though, I will be interested in seeing what you do in Bohermeen, sub 1.40 will be no problem

I did the Conn half a couple of years ago in 1.59.xx but I was about 1.5 stone heavier then and had never run more than 10 miles before. If I can the halfway in 1.43-44ish and then repeat my 2hr half from a few years ago I'd be well happy with that :)

• Advertisement

Saturday
    A nice slow 5 mile recovery shuffle. 9.30 min/mile pace at a AHR in the low 140's.

Sunday
    20 mile run to give me a 55 mile week, the peak mileage in this P&D plan and my biggest run week ever. Decided to break the run into 3 parts, a steady 13 miles at around 8.40 min/mile pace; 6 miles at PMP; 1 mile cool down.

13 miles in 1.52hr / avg pace 8.37 / AHR 154
    6 miles in 47.28 / avg pace 7.54 / AHR 179
    1 mile cool down in 8.43

The first 13 miles were very easy and I held the pace with a reasonable HR easily. Into the next 6 miles at PMP and again I found them very comfortable despite the very elevated HR. Did the final mile as a cool down to complete the 20 miles.

20 miles in 2.48.14 / avg pace 8.24.

Very quick recovery and no sign of the little niggles that have been annoying me this week.....except for the occasional numbness in my left leg which causes my leg to buckle, don't know what the cause is but it's manageable.

That's the end of this phase of the training. The plan has 4 weeks of 'race prep' followed by a 3 week taper left, with one 20 mile run and a long run with 14 miles at PMP left. I think I'll probably modify this somewhat and try and get a 4th 20 mile in with 16-17 miles at PMP.

another very strong run, right to plan - well done Griff.
    LL

Yesterday was a rest day and have to say I was surprised at how good the legs felt. Normally the day after a 20 miler I'm broke.

Back to kms for today's run, I have to say I agree with Jim Royle on the whole kms thing, bloody europeans pissing about :D

Today: 13kms - 8kms at 5 min km pace / 600m x 5 with 400m recovery @ 5km pace.

The 600m repeats hurt. I was aiming to hold 4.15ish km / min pace. I did the first two up a steep hill to see what is felt like and I thought my lungs would burst; these were a bit slow at 4.20-25. Back on the flat I held 4.10ish pace for the last 3 reps. I must do a 5km race soon and see if I can better my current unofficial pb of 21.31.

Been a few days........

I was due to do 12 miles on Wednesday but had a sore throat. Decided not to risk it just in case it got worse. Thursday I felt better but didn't get a chance to get out during the day and Thursday evening was a dinner thing with one of my bigger work contractors. Now I had a dilemma, did I cancel the dinner so I could run or did I go and take advantage of an all expenses paid night out in a two star michellin restaurant. Needless to say Friday was a write off with a severe hangover :)

Saturday was down in the P&D plan as a race of up to 15kms so i decided to substitute this with a 10km TT to see if I could get close to the 44.45 ish that McMillan says I should be capable of if I'm in 3.30 marathon shape. I wasn't in the mood when the time came to head out. It was cold, wet and bloody windy. However I had a new inspiration to get me to HTFU.......my 6 year old son.......let me explain.

Saturday morning was swimming lessons for the two older kids but as the older one was at a birthday party the little chap had the teacher to himself. At the start of the lesson she says to him 'let's see how far you can swim today?' and off he set to do a length. The most I've ever seen him swim in one go is two lengths........today a determined 6 year old swam 10 lengths of a 25m pool without any break and had to be stopped from trying to more. 250m in just under 10 minutes. I was gobsmacked as was his teacher. I asked him afterwards about it and he told me 'I was tired after two lengths Dad, but I wanted to keep going.' How could I not get off my lardy ass for a 10km run after that?

Did a 3 warm up and then started my 10km. I had in my mind to target as close to 44 mins as possible. Probably started off a bit fast but first 3km's felt ok but then the next km was into a strong wind and I suffered. Kms no. 7 and 10 were also into the strong wind. I tried to sprint the last km but the wind held me back. When the Garmin beeped for 10km I hit stop and had a look.....43.10..... a new unofficial PB by over 90 secs..... was absolutely delighted. Km splits were 4.09 / 4.15 / 4.16 / 4.25 / 4.18 / 4.21 / 4.23 / 4.21 / 4.20 / 4.17. Avg HR 181. Did 3km to cool down.

Sunday came back to earth with a bang when due to family stuff I missed my LSR. I got 10 of the 17 miles required done. A bad week overall distance wise but the 10km PB was a high point. No swimming either.

Today managed to get a 12 mile run in. Didn't take a rest day as my LSR yesterday was short but I still found it very difficult. I have sore muscles in places that aren't usually sore after a run, a holdover from Saturdays run I think. Managed to hold 8.25 pace for the 12 miles.

An important week this week, want to try and get at least a 16 mile PMP run in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

The story about your son has put a smile on my face and will definitely help to inspire me in times when I'm feeling a bit like I'd rather be lazing about. And I'm impressed at your "in your face" attitude about hills. They'll be no worry for you. In fact, let them be your friend. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Good running you might be in 41 minute shape under race conditions. Fair play I could never muster the determination to do that in a training session

Dory Dory wrote: »
    The story about your son has put a smile on my face and will definitely help to inspire me in times when I'm feeling a bit like I'd rather be lazing about.

He's a funny little chap alright, not overly competitive but sports mad and pretty determined. He's actually a good little runner as well, last year he was crowned the fastest 5 year old over 60 meters in the county :D I worry about him sometimes especially when he pushes himself hard like on Saturday as he had a heart condition as a baby (we almost lost him at 9-10 weeks old). In fact he still has the condition but is currently symptomless but he will probably need some invasive treatment in a couple of years. His cardiologist says there's no issue with him being so active but it's hard not to worry.
    Good running you might be in 41 minute shape under race conditions. Fair play I could never muster the determination to do that in a training session

Maybe close to 42.30 on a good day I think. There's a flat 10km close to home in a couple of weeks I might have a go at. I actually never thought I'd go under 45 minutes ever. I wounder if I spent a season concentrating on the 5 and 10km distances could I get close to 40-41 minutes? Probably not ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

You really seem to be flying at the moment...well set up for a good day out in Conn.

He's a funny little chap alright, not overly competitive but sports mad and pretty determined. He's actually a good little runner as well, last year he was crowned the fastest 5 year old over 60 meters in the county :D I worry about him sometimes especially when he pushes himself hard like on Saturday as he had a heart condition as a baby (we almost lost him at 9-10 weeks old). In fact he still has the condition but is currently symptomless but he will probably need some invasive treatment in a couple of years. His cardiologist says there's no issue with him being so active but it's hard not to worry.

Definitely hard not to worry, but perhaps the exercise is making the heart stronger. Awww....crowned the fastest 5 year old over 60 meters in the country....yet another griffin100 story that's put a smile on my face. Thanks. :)

And I agree with Izoard...you are flying.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Definitely hard not to worry, but perhaps the exercise is making the heart stronger. Awww....crowned the fastest 5 year old over 60 meters in the country....yet another griffin100 story that's put a smile on my face. Thanks. :)

And I agree with Izoard...you are flying.

Fastest 5 year old in the county, not country.......and it's a small county at that :D

Feeling good at the minute so hopefully I can keep it up and stay injury free.

• Advertisement

Fastest 5 year old in the county, not country.......and it's a small county at that :D

Feeling good at the minute so hopefully I can keep it up and stay injury free.

Oops. But don't count that possibility out down the road!! ;)

Wednesday
    After a day off yesterday 7 miles today. Again did the run over hilly terrain (as as close as you can get to hills in South Dublin :rolleyes:). Covered 440ft of climbing over the middle 5 miles which is not too bad and compares well with the profile of Conn. Averaged 8.05 min / mile which I'm very happy with as this is not too far of PMP. HR was high but that's to be expected. I don't plan on running the big hills at 13 miles and 19 miles in Conn at full MP but I'd like to be comfortable getting up them, maybe 30 secs slower than MP and without my heart rate going mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Wednesday
    After a day off yesterday 7 miles today. Again did the run over hilly terrain (as as close as you can get to hills in South Dublin :rolleyes:). Covered 440ft of climbing over the middle 5 miles which is not too bad and compares well with the profile of Conn. Averaged 8.05 min / mile which I'm very happy with as this is not too far of PMP. HR was high but that's to be expected. I don't plan on running the big hills at 13 miles and 19 miles in Conn at full MP but I'd like to be comfortable getting up them, maybe 30 secs slower than MP and without my heart rate going mad.

Jaysus...feet? miles?

The sooner you get back to proper tri unit measurements the better....

Izoard wrote: »
    Jaysus...feet? miles?

The sooner you get back to proper tri unit measurements the better....

I know, I can't get my head around this climbing in feet, I'm used to cycling in km's and climbing in meters....but I run in miles so have to climb in feet.....does that even make sense:confused:

I swim in meters
    I run in miles
    I cycle in kilometers
    Awww....crowned the fastest 5 year old over 60 meters in the country....yet another griffin100 story that's put a smile on my face. Thanks.

I dug this out just for you Dory:) This is junior winning the Carlow Community Games Under 6 Boys 60M Sprint Semi Final (phew). He is the one closest to the camera, No. 5. Watch for the faller at the finish.

You may need to lower the volume, there's a couple of over excited parents to be heard :)

Thursday
    P&D called for a 9 mile run with 5 x 1km intervals at 5km pace thrown in (even they are mixing their distances:)).

I was never going to get the full 9 miles in so shortened it a bit. Did 1.5km warm up and then 5 x 1km @ 5km race pace + 500m recovery jog (9km in total).

McMillan says that my new 5km pace based on my new unofficial 10km 'PB' is 4.09 per km, whilst 4.19 per km would be 3.30 marathon shape (am I starting to get anal about this pacing lark:confused:).

Intervals came in on:
    3.54 / HR 173
    4.11 / HR 179
    3.58 / HR 177
    4.18 / HR 177
    4.08 / HR 176
    Avg pace 4.06 km

I completely blew up on the 4th interval and was heading back to the office when I HTFU and did the final interval. I'm pretty tired now, thankfully tomorrow is a rest day from running. Not too bad, happy enough with that. Kms 1 and 3 were helped slightly by the first 250m being slightly downhill, whilst kms 2 and 4 were in reverse so last 250m on each of these was uphill. I made km no. 5 as flat as possible as at this stage I was on my knees.

Oh...he's a cute little fella....and FAST!! Wow! What a great video - he was like a streak of red flashing by. And loved the audio - pride and excitement all the way through. Thanks for digging that precious video out for me! :):):)

And nice work on those gut wrenching intervals. I hatehatehate intervals. Well done to you!

Friday
    Into the pool for one of my increasing rare swims.

400m wu
    200 drills (one arm)
    300-200-100 off 2.15 per 100m. Came in on 6.10 / 4.10 / 2.07
    200 drills (one arm and fist)
    300-200-100 off 2.15 per 100m. Came in on 6.20 / 4.14 / 2.10
    200 cd
    Total 2,200m

Actually very happy with that. I can see an increase in overall fitness due to the running which helps with the swimming but technique still needs some work.

Sunday
    Having spent all day out with the kids enjoying the good weather on Saturday I didn't bother with the 5m recovery run.

Plan had Sunday as 18 miles with 14 at PMP. This would be the longest PMP run in the plan. However because I'd done 13.1 miles at PMP already a couple of weeks ago I decided to try and push on to around 16 miles PMP.

Initially starting off I found my breathing was very labored for the first few miles. I have a bit of head cold but nothing major. I just couldn't seem to keep the HR down and the breathing relaxed - I blame the bottle of Merlot I had consumed on Saturday night :rolleyes: I settelled into a nice rhythm after a few miles and was fairly conformable. I did enough hills so that the first 13 miles matched the profile of the first half of Conn. At about 14 miles my legs started to feel numb and I couldn't actually work out if my pace was dropping or if I was still going ok without looking at my Garman - a strange feeling. I held the PMP for 17 miles feeling pretty good and was going to try and get to 18 but decided that might be pushing it a bit as mile 18 was a long hill. Dropped down in pace to do last 2 miles as a cool down and close to recovery run pace. Total 19 miles / 17 @ PMP.

PMP splits: 7.54/58/54/55/55/47/46/53/48/49/54/51/55/46/50/54/46
    Total: 17 miles in 2.13.43. Avg Pace 7.52 / AVG HR 167 (my target AVG HR in Conn is 165)

A good week overall with a couple of good sessions. Next weekend is the HM race and the plan at the minute is to start off at between 7.20-25 pace and see how it goes. With this race in mind I think I'll avoid interval and speed work this week other than maybe a few strides.

Very good run again Griffin ....methinks your PMP may require downward revision though ?
    Sunday will be a good test ...I predict a 1.37 finish for you ..or better.
    LL

Lex Luther wrote: »
    Very good run again Griffin ....methinks your PMP may require downward revision though ?
    Sunday will be a good test ...I predict a 1.37 finish for you ..or better.
    LL

Don't know about revising the PMP downward. What do you have in mind? :) If Conn was flatter I might consider it.

Tuesday
    Lovely 8 mile run in the dark at home. It's been weeks since I ran at home in the dark on the back roads. Took it really easy and averaged 8.35 min/mile. No ill effects of Sundays 17 mile PMP. Was a bit of a pain when my head torch failed, was still bright enough for me to see, but cars has trouble seeing me. Slowed up a bit towards the end when I got caught up in a very large funeral procession on a back road and had to stand in a field as it passed.

• Advertisement

You are flying. Can't wait to read you post-mortem after your half this weekend. :)

Advertisement