Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

He said on a podcast not too long ago that he'd been asked many times to move to 98 to do breakfast and "take one for the team". He said no for ages, but eventually said yes as he wasn't enjoying doing the lunchtime show as much and wanted a new challenge.

I'm guessing that if the breakfast show on 98 had been a success, the plan would probably have been that they would eventually replace Ian Dempsey. But obviously that didn't work out and now it'll end up being a duo like Fergal Darcy and Paula McSweeney that will replace him. This forum will spontaneously combust!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

jezzer wrote: »
    surely foley would have known that going to a failing dublin only station was a bad move? straight away he lost the majority of his listeners.. nobody goes from national to regional? he had made all the right moves before that, going from spin and 98 up to national radio then he fecks it all away...it was never going to work for foley on 98, its dublin only and i would imagine his fan base is predominantly outside of dublin, hes not a breakfast style presenter and 98 was already past the point of no return, perhaps complacency on foleys part?

This argument again? Christ...

They were bored and unhappy on lunchtimes, wanted something new. Dempsey was going nowhere, so there were no openings at Today FM in the foreseeable future. 98 was in the same group, so a "transfer" situation was probably desirable so as not to burn bridges. As Ray tells it, he was asked to go to 98 to try and rescue it. His friend was PD at 98. It gave them an opportunity to try breakfast radio out. If it had worked, they could realistically have spent 5 years there, then transferred back to Today FM if the current Dempsey situation continued, all with it being able to be spun as happy moves as opposed to defections.

It was a gamble, it didn't pay off. But IMO trying something new and failing is better than doing something you're not happy with anymore just because it's working.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

He said on a podcast not too long ago that he'd been asked many times to move to 98 to do breakfast and "take one for the team". He said no for ages, but eventually said yes as he wasn't enjoying doing the lunchtime show as much and wanted a new challenge.

I'm guessing that if the breakfast show on 98 had been a success, the plan would probably have been that they would eventually replace Ian Dempsey. But obviously that didn't work out and now it'll end up being a duo like Fergal Darcy and Paula McSweeney that will replace him. This forum will spontaneously combust!

wouldnt mind seeing Paula McSweeney spontaneously combust!

Take one for the team? well he certainly took one and got flung out after it...

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    This argument again? Christ...

They were bored and unhappy on lunchtimes, wanted something new. Dempsey was going nowhere, so there were no openings at Today FM in the foreseeable future. 98 was in the same group, so a "transfer" situation was probably desirable so as not to burn bridges. As Ray tells it, he was asked to go to 98 to try and rescue it. His friend was PD at 98. It gave them an opportunity to try breakfast radio out. If it had worked, they could realistically have spent 5 years there, then transferred back to Today FM if the current Dempsey situation continued, all with it being able to be spun as happy moves as opposed to defections.

It was a gamble, it didn't pay off. But IMO trying something new and failing is better than doing something you're not happy with anymore just because it's working.

no opening in todayfm at the time.....look at it now!!!!!

Also it looks like a lot of bridges got burned between foley and todayfm... i wonder does his mate the PD of 98 feel guilty for ruining foleys radio career?

dempsey seems to be leaking listeners over the past few years, i wonder will it ever come to a point where they move to oust him?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

no opening in todayfm at the time.....look at it now!!!!!

You're right, it's a shame he didn't hang around for 4 years waiting for Ian to start losing listeners in the hope of moving slots. What an idiot he truly is.

• Advertisement

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    You're right, it's a shame he didn't hang around for 4 years waiting for Ian to start losing listeners in the hope of moving slots. What an idiot he truly is.

ah well i dont think thats fair as i'm sure Iano will be about for another while

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Surely current management at 98fm have to bear responsibility for the mess? The breakfast is still losing listeners, how is that a success?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭KReid

carnin wrote: »
    Who knows? Jealousy? Considering this was back when Ray was at his peak on Today FM and Dermot and Dave were stuck on 98fm breakfast... or maybe Ray took the last Jaffa cake at a communicorp radio presenters conference, or maybe he just didn't like him on the radio.

Either way, I think that was where the animosity started.

Stuck on the number 1 breakfast show in Dublin.... don't think they where stuck.

Describing Ray's radio career as ruined is total hyperbole. He is still working in radio and TV, albeit on a much smaller scale than before. How do we know that's not exactly what he wants? Maybe working less and spending more time at home with his kids is his own choice and not because he can't get work? Some people need to keep in mind that just because he or Alan says certain things on the podcast doesn't necessarily mean that it's a full reflection of their actual lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 loumasry

KReid wrote: »
    Stuck on the number 1 breakfast show in Dublin.... don't think they where stuck.

Did D&D ever make it to number one in Dublin?

I know they left both the 98FM drive programme and Today FM lunchtime worse off then when they started them, which is an ominous sign for their new bosses.

• Advertisement

loumasry wrote: »
    Did D&D ever make it to number one in Dublin?

I know they left both the 98FM drive programme and Today FM lunchtime worse off then when they started them, which is an ominous sign for their new bosses.

is that true? i always assumed their rise upwards was due to their popularity? or maybe its just because Dermot was on the republic of telly?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Hans_Memling

I never understood Foley's appeal.

Describing Ray's radio career as ruined is total hyperbole. He is still working in radio and TV, albeit on a much smaller scale than before. How do we know that's not exactly what he wants? Maybe working less and spending more time at home with his kids is his own choice and not because he can't get work? Some people need to keep in mind that just because he or Alan says certain things on the podcast doesn't necessarily mean that it's a full reflection of their actual lives.

ah i dont know, foley always came across as ambitious, filling in for Martin King of all people and doing a graveyard shift on a cork radio station is hardly what anybody in broadcasting wants to do?

I have to say i really enjoy him on the 6 o clock show, hes very witty and quick, just what you need on that type of show, maybe more TV is what he should do, however i dont know where he would slot in, replace darcy with foley?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Testament1

ah i dont know, foley always came across as ambitious, filling in for Martin King of all people

But he's not filling in. He's said this numerous times in the podcast that people don't seem to get that the Friday night thing on TV3 is his himself and Muireanns own slot, not a fill in job to give Martin and Lucy an evening off.

Testament1 wrote: »
    But he's not filling in. He's said this numerous times in the podcast that people don't seem to get that the Friday night thing on TV3 is his himself and Muireanns own slot, not a fill in job to give Martin and Lucy an evening off.

but that doesnt make sense? its martins gig? and if foley stands in, then martin gets a night off?

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭lambayire

Martin does Monday - Thursday.
    And has done so for ages.

Ray and Muireann do Friday.

lambayire wrote: »
    Martin does Monday - Thursday.
    And has done so for ages.

Ray and Muireann do Friday.

but it makes no sense really? why not get ray to do the whole week?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

I don't get the confusion...like its baffling. Since The Seven O Clock Show (now Six O Clock Show) launched it has been Martin King and Lucy Kennedy Mon-Thurs with a different team on Friday with a slightly more "fun" vibe to it. Previously it was Mairead Ronan (Farrell) and Anton Savage, then Ray took Anton's role and the co-presenter role alternated for a while between Louise Duffy, Mairead and Muireann amongst others. Ray and Muireann worked well together and were given the show so now every Friday it is their show.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,416 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Jezzer which part aren't you getting ? Martin king does Monday to Thursday and ray and muireen do Friday. It's fairly straight forward to be honest.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Jezzer which part aren't you getting ? Martin king does Monday to Thursday and ray and muireen do Friday. It's fairly straight forward to be honest.

I just dont get it, its martins show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭DopeTech

It's like this morning on ITV. It has different presenters on a Friday. Don't over think it. It's not rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,416 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Martin is the main presenter Monday to Thursday. Ray is the male presenter along with muireann O Connell on Fridays. Jezzzer this isn't a declaration of war from Luxembourg. It's fairly simple to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Testament1

I just dont get it

https://youtu.be/OXypyrutq_M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

Has Foley ever given his opinion on the new generation of presenters, Fergal Darcy, Chris and Ciara, Louise Mcsharry etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SparklersJo

Is there any way to get Ray's Red FM show? Does it have a podcast or anything? I've done a quick search, but nothing came up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Is there any way to get Ray's Red FM show? Does it have a podcast or anything? I've done a quick search, but nothing came up.

With the paid for version of TuneIn you could schedule it to record the shows. It will start playing them out through the phone speaker when it's recording so best to set your media volume to 0 the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Im with Jezzer on this one, Ray and the woman just fills in for Martin and Lucy

liam7831 wrote:
    Im with Jezzer on this one, Ray and the woman just fills in for Martin and Lucy

But how are they fill-ins when they present the show on the same day every week? It's a regular gig, not just when one of the other presenters are off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

But how are they fill-ins when they present the show on the same day every week? It's a regular gig, not just when one of the other presenters are off.

They fill in for Martin on a Friday, it's simple really

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭ Violet Young Birthday

Your not missing much it's nothing like his Today fm show it's a very "safe" show

Advertisement