Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Removing a ree trunk

Options
  • 06-02-2011 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi there,

Was wondering if anyone had any advice for removing a tree trunk from the garden. I've attempted to identify the root system of the tree (palm tree ish) so as to leave no roots behind when digging it out. Mini digger arriving next week to do the business. Any tips or advice for this procedure would be greatly appreciated. If anyone knows a comprehensive website to identify trees I would love to know where it is as I've had no luck finding a good website. They all seem to fall short of what I need to know

Regards

Gezza123

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

It's probably a Cordyline which doesn't have a very deep root. Easy enough to remove, simply excavate soil around rootball which tend s to be dense and compact, usually (depending on age of tree) 900mm across and probably 500-900mm deep. Remove soil around root perimeter and also under rootball. Use tree trunk to lever rootball by rocking backwards and frowards and eventuaslly rotating to remove smaller radial roots. Once rootball should eventually come loose and detached in position, it should be an easy task to pull out. Can be heavy, but usually 2 guys should manage it.

Tip: Do not cut trunk < 1500mm from ground as this is a very useful method to lever tree.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Tip: Do not cut trunk < 1500mm from ground as this is a very useful method to lever tree.

+1 to the above.

leave a good 2-3 feet above ground,and use this as a lever.

No harm to dig around the tree stump and dig down and chop out the roots with an axe or pick axe.

This will free the stump up a bit and make it easier to remove.:)

I used the hydraulic grab bucket of grab hire lorry to basicly pluck out the 3 large Cordyline tree stumps from my back garden.

All 3 gone in a matter of minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Gezza123

Thanks for that.

Advertisement