Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Reserve - Interview/Report-Writing (see Moderator note: POST#1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭iandromiskin

Hi,

Don't worry too much about it, we all felt the same after coming out of that interview, even me. I even think I was asked the same about being part of a team and identifing people who arn't or are less than capable. It sounds like you answered correctly by saying you would prefer to be part of team, as lets face it the reserves will and are a part of a much larger team. The Garda sort of has to act or perform in a certain way, its not personnal, a reflection on your performance or an indication of how you got on, just a means of impartiality really. I can't remember getting a hand shake either. Hang tight. You should get a letter soon enough, I was a week (though I got an email sooner), telling you how you got on.

I know it doesn't help much, but we all went through it and felt the same. 'Oh God, if only I had said this or that'. The whole purpose of the thing is to get an indication of who you are and how you would work within the organisation. You'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Thanks Ian,I hope you are right,fingers crossed,will post here when I hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 on standby

Hi all just did my test today,then after into the interview in with the super and the public jobs rep,test was grand,think I messed the interview though,was asked about team work and would I prefer to be a team member or a leader,thought they wanted me to say member and said that a team member was my preference....which he picked me up on as conflicting with earlier comments on how an underperformer should be dealt with,not a very nice guy either,no handshake at all no smiles,feel I messd up now,although the public app lady was very good and made me feel at ease,who makes the decision? is it both or just the super? any feedback from you guys would help.:confused:[/QUOTE

leinsterdude, Don't worry. I've done many an interview in the past and felt I messed up, but didn't. I would say he just wanted to see your reaction. You will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pat1187

yes, I agree with standby ?, It is natural in interviews to try and tell them what " they want to hear " so its likely they will understand that and take it into account.I have interviewed a lot of people in my previous jobs and it is difficult to define what exactly swayed me in choices but a lot would have to do with personality types and enthusiasm, that sort of thing.
    Also part way through this process we are told we were to '' meet with our local area Superintendent '' which I took literally and when he started asking questions somewhat aggressively I got a bit thick and ended up criticizing the force for what I saw as shortcomings so I figured I was finished, but no,everything worked out in the end. so best of luck and try not to worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

Done my interview back in May. Was told i passed it about 2 weeks afterwards. Been waiting ages for this medical. But if i pass it, training starts in Templemore on the 1st weekend in November.

• Advertisement

Hi,dont know if I passed this but got gr2 form today,is this a good sign?Thanks.

Hey, well done. Would appear you made it through the interview. Same thing happened to me - I got the GR(2) then a letter in the post. As the previous post said, this form does not mean your there yet, you still have to get security clearance, be interviewed by two more Garda and the medical. It will take time and patience.

You are going to love that form, NOT. You have to list all your relatives, brothers, sisters, aunts and uncles. They don't want cousins etc, but if you have any relatives abroad expect a long wait. Your next test after submission is patience and patience and more patience as its going to take ages, I mean it. I was waiting 6 months, and some guy in my group was waiting at least 8, but you may be lucky.

Anyway, wait for the letter for official confirmation, but it appears your onto the next stage. Congratulations.

Hi,just got the letter and I have passed,delighted,now the GR2,next hurdle.

yes, congrats Leinsterdude, and dont forget your friendly health board ( birth and deaths register) if you are stuck looking for elderly relatives dates of birth etc.
    See you Saturday K.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baton charge

pat1187 wrote: »
    yes, congrats Leinsterdude, and dont forget your friendly health board ( birth and deaths register) if you are stuck looking for elderly relatives dates of birth etc.
    See you Saturday K.

Yeah see you there nice and early Pat.Hope to see those boots gleaming with a bit of good old fashioned spit and polish.Think I will get Stevie boy to give you the once over just in case.

• Advertisement

Yeah see you there nice and early Pat.Hope to see those boots gleaming with a bit of good old fashioned spit and polish.Think I will get Stevie boy to give you the once over just in case.

If you see him before I do, tell him I finally got my Hep.B money

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baton charge

pat1187 wrote: »
    If you see him before I do, tell him I finally got my Hep.B money

I will certainly will pass on that info.He was not a happy bunny up to last week anyway perhaps like you he has been paid in the meantime lets hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

I will certainly will pass on that info.He was not a happy bunny up to last week anyway perhaps like you he has been paid in the meantime lets hope so.

Can one ask what Hep. B money is?

I'd be curious to know that too, but it may be private ? On a similar question, are the Reserves vacinated against Hep B and other similar occupatinal hazards ?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Highlander

Hi All

I've received letter advising interview and test in Dublin in early December, reding through the educational requirements, it states you must have either English or Irish and a second language in Leaving Cert, I don't have the second language, will this rule me out from the start, I have the Leaving Cert, can I request an exemption on the second language?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭controller

Highlander wrote: »
    Hi All

I've received letter advising interview and test in Dublin in early December, reding through the educational requirements, it states you must have either English or Irish and a second language in Leaving Cert, I don't have the second language, will this rule me out from the start, I have the Leaving Cert, can I request an exemption on the second language?

Thanks

I think from reading it if you have Irish & English, this will suffice, as If you do have irish, it states on the next line grade for English or other language. But someone else might want to clarify this for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Highlander

controller wrote: »
    I think from reading it if you have Irish & English, this will suffice, as If you do have irish, it states on the next line grade for English or other language. But someone else might want to clarify this for you.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

well, I did the written test and interview last week.

written test went OK.

not sure what they thought of me in the interview but I suppose time will tell.

The Superintendent said that the Reserve Gardai currently out on the job were geting on very well and that the whole scheme has been a great success.

My interview went ok but thought I didnt pass,super was not very friendly,but I did so dont worry,has anyone any thoughts on this,dropped gr2 a month ago,got a call for a chat to my local station last week,does this mean things are progressing quite fast?

Interview

My interview went ok but thought I didnt pass,super was not very friendly,but I did so dont worry,has anyone any thoughts on this,dropped gr2 a month ago,got a call for a chat to my local station last week,does this mean things are progressing quite fast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

got a letter today telling me I've passed the interview and written test stage:) and that the Gardai would be contacting me about what happens next.

apart from the GR2 form and security clearance, are there more interviews now:confused:, in my local station..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭francie81

Hi people,

I signed up to the Garda Reserve and am going for Interview on thursday BUT I see alot of you that already attended says it consists of your own community involvement like voluntary forces that you are or were a part of BUT the thing is I have never been or contributed to my community apart from playing gaelic football so my reason for applying was to have a new challenge and having it on top of my day job because after all I do only work a 39hr week. Can someone gimme advice of some sort, like is it really worth my while going if am going to thrown questions that leaves me looking into space?????

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

francie81 wrote: »
    Hi people,

I signed up to the Garda Reserve and am going for Interview on thursday BUT I see alot of you that already attended says it consists of your own community involvement like voluntary forces that you are or were a part of BUT the thing is I have never been or contributed to my community apart from playing gaelic football so my reason for applying was to have a new challenge and having it on top of my day job because after all I do only work a 39hr week. Can someone gimme advice of some sort, like is it really worth my while going if am going to thrown questions that leaves me looking into space?????

Thanks
    I wouldn't worry about it too much, give them loads of spiel about how into your community you are, tell them your on your local residents association etc etc. Seriously at the end of the day you do not have to have served on loads of voluntary boards to be accepted into the Garda Reserve, all you have to prove is that your care for your local community, and how you feel that reservists can assist in the local community. Also have something prepared on working as part of a team, and how you deal with new challenges. Good Luck with your interview

Thanks for that gilly. Am just gonna go in there and be myself and answer the questions as best I can. What is the exact procedure like am kinda confused because mines at 1/4 to 10 with my written test @1, does it actually take 3 1/2 hrs for the whole process?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

Thanks for that gilly. Am just gonna go in there and be myself and answer the questions as best I can. What is the exact procedure like am kinda confused because mines at 1/4 to 10 with my written test @1, does it actually take 3 1/2 hrs for the whole process?

The interview will take no more than half an hour, so on the basis that your doing your interview in Dublin, this will then leave you plenty of time to do all your Christmas shopping in the nearby Jervis Shopping Centre, returning at 1 for the written test which again will take no more than half an hour :) Best of luck.

Women always find the time eh!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭geo1212

Women always find the time eh!!!

priceless

My interview was alright but I wouldn't be overall happy with it so am not upbeat of progressing, I really felt lost when the SUPER asked me about team work and what would you bring, so I think being motivated and in some sort of organisation really does boost your chances, and as for the written excercise well I felt I could have done better in that I think I actually delayed alot of time going through the incident and as a result didn't quite finish off my report proper I also thought 1/2 was abit tight but then I suppose when it comes to the crunch you can't delay time in the force, ahh well atleast I give it a go I went up there with nothing to lose (albeit a days pay). Anyone like to comment about they're experience?

My interview was alright but I wouldn't be overall happy with it so am not upbeat of progressing, I really felt lost when the SUPER asked me about team work and what would you bring, so I think being motivated and in some sort of organisation really does boost your chances, and as for the written excercise well I felt I could have done better in that I think I actually delayed alot of time going through the incident and as a result didn't quite finish off my report proper I also thought 1/2 was abit tight but then I suppose when it comes to the crunch you can't delay time in the force, ahh well atleast I give it a go I went up there with nothing to lose (albeit a days pay). Anyone like to comment about they're experience?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭colliegG

Ah I wouldn't worry too much Frankie. You never can tell with the interviews. I thought I'd blown it when I had the interview with the super in my local station. I wasn't really thinking and said something like, "jeez it's a really long process to get in isn't it?" He replied with "Well what do you expect? It's not the boy scouts after all" or something similar. Thought for sure he'd think I wasn't treating the Reserve with enough respect and wouldn't recommend me or somesuch. He did though and I was worrying for nothing.

Advertisement