Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical & How long have you been waiting?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭colliegG

Can anyone tell me what happens after you pass the medical? Before I went for it I was told to expect to go to Templemore a couple of weeks after passing it but I have heard nothing since and the medical was about a week ago. That was the last thing I had to do. I don't wanna have to ring up or whatever but I have no details at all. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭geo1212

colliegG wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what happens after you pass the medical? Before I went for it I was told to expect to go to Templemore a couple of weeks after passing it but I have heard nothing since and the medical was about a week ago. That was the last thing I had to do. I don't wanna have to ring up or whatever but I have no details at all. Thanks.

As far as we were concerned, we were told at the medical that we had passed it, so assuming you were told you passed, I would ring the Reserve office at the Depot and ask them what the story is. You dont say how long ago you did the medical, but if its a couple of weeks or so, they will probably get to you soon, they could still be waiting on your background check to come back, it can take a while if you have relations abroad, as they have to wait for other forces to do their own checks on any relations living outside Ireland before they can give you the all clear. Maybe some of the other Reserves who went through the proces after me could be of more help.

Thanks Geo. The reason I'm wondering is the Reserve office phoned me before I did the medical to ask about dates I was available to go to Templemore. I said the beginning of December and they said that was ok on condition of passing it. Last week I was told at the medical that I had passed but have heard nothing back from the Reserves since about heading down. I read in someone elses post that they got an email almost immediately confirming details.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Dee5

Hi CollieG (not too sure if that your user name) I had my med about two weeks before the first date for Templemore. I passed the med and was just waiting on a call.
    Finally at half four on the Friday I called them again and was told that I was invited to the college the next dat etc..
    I would buzz the Reserve office and just ask them.
    My file was buried seemingly

Thanks Dee, yeah it's an odd one. I tried col as my username but I had to add a couple of random letters!! Anyway I took your advice and called them and they said I should get an email on monday with the details so that's grand. Nothing to worry about I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Hi,anyone got tips to avoid the doctor charging for signing this form?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pat1187

Hi,anyone got tips to avoid the doctor charging for signing this form?

no, my doctor didn't charge me because I was a civic minded volunteer, if yours does, considering how much they earn from the government, I would consider changing doctors. Make sure you tell him/her its unpaid volunteer work.

Hi,anyone know exactly where the medical is in Phoenix park,is there just one main entrance or a few,dont want to be late,thanks.:cool:

Hi,anyone done one this week,if so how did it go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

Hi,anyone done one this week,if so how did it go?
    when is your medical
    could u explain how it went
    what stuff did they test for and the like

• Advertisement

paul666 wrote: »
    when is your medical
    could u explain how it went
    what stuff did they test for and the like
    Hi,medical was last week,fairly straightforward but they do test things properly,sight,sound,lungs,wieght...all the things that may infringe on the job,seems the same one as the Army,if you are healthy at all you will be ok,have you got yours soon?

paul666 wrote: »
    I only sent in my background checks just over a week ago. havent heard anything about a medical yet.
    do your background checks have to come back clear first before been sent for a medical?
    And did they check your teeth? i think i may need a filling ive made an appointment see see a dentist just in case.

Hi,dont think backround checks need to be done it depends how busy they are,some people do the medical and then dont get through,no gurantees,they do briefly check your teeth but only visually so would need to be fairly bad to hold you up on that.....Murphy,why did you have the hep b shots? do all trainees have them?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

questions questions:D

just wondering if anyone has passed the medical with a BMI higher than 30 or maybe knows someone that has?

do they make an allowance if everything else is within limits and is the medical less stringent for the Reserves than for the regular force?

did interview with sargeant and he said I might get called soon which doesn't give me enough time to get my weight down..

don't want to waste all their time by failing the freekin thing, and also, can the medical be repeated or would you have to go through the whole process again?

sorry about all the questions and thanks in advance if anyone has the answers, PM if necesary:)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 wetgarden

lehanemore wrote: »
    questions questions:D

just wondering if anyone has passed the medical with a BMI higher than 30 or maybe knows someone that has?

do they make an allowance if everything else is within limits and is the medical less stringent for the Reserves than for the regular force?

did interview with sargeant and he said I might get called soon which doesn't give me enough time to get my weight down..

don't want to waste all their time by failing the freekin thing, and also, can the medical be repeated or would you have to go through the whole process again?

sorry about all the questions and thanks in advance if anyone has the answers, PM if necesary:)

Lehanmore,

I'm not sure about what the situation is if you MBI is over 30 or whether the medical can be repeated again or not, but to answer your other question (as far as I know), the medical is the excactly the same standard for the GR as for the FT Garda. In fact the whole process is the same (medical, vetting process etc.), the only difference being the level of training given (which obviously is much longer) and also the preliminary aptitude tests where there are more,at least that's what I think!!!

Why don't you e-mail/phone the Garda Reserve Dept in the Garda headquarters in Dublin in relation to repeat medicals at gardareserve@garda.ie

Phone: 01-6662568/70/71
    Fax: 01-6662572

They should get back to you within the next day or so.
    :D

wetgarden wrote: »
    Lehanmore,

I'm not sure about what the situation is if you MBI is over 30 or whether the medical can be repeated again or not, but to answer your other question (as far as I know), the medical is the excactly the same standard for the GR as for the FT Garda. In fact the whole process is the same (medical, vetting process etc.), the only difference being the level of training given (which obviously is much longer) and also the preliminary aptitude tests where there are more,at least that's what I think!!!

Why don't you e-mail/phone the Garda Reserve Dept in the Garda headquarters in Dublin in relation to repeat medicals at gardareserve@garda.ie

Phone: 01-6662568/70/71
    Fax: 01-6662572

They should get back to you within the next day or so.
    :D

Thanks for that Wetgarden:cool:

I guess I'll go do it first and see what they'll fail me on ( a bit like the NCT:D)
    then I'll go through the channels from there.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 leo bowes

leo bowes wrote: »
    i am still waiting for a call for my medical,i have had a meeting with the sargeant, but have not met with the superintendent yet,its a waiting proccess im afraid. has anyone else recieved a date for there medical yet?? can anyone reply to this

i am still waiting for a call for my medical,i have had a meeting with the sargeant, but have not met with the superintendent yet,its a waiting proccess im afraid. has anyone else recieved a date for there medical yet?? can anyone reply to this

I'm in the same boat as yourself although I've met the Super.
    I'm prepared for a wait of at least 9 months, in reality no one can tell you when you'll be called, just wait it out and work on your physical fitness (only if you need to, of course:cool:)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Mountain Man

Anyone going for medicals next week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 scanner man

hi mountain man did you get a date for your medical yet

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭MasterSun

I am MasterSun.

Regards.

I'll meet you there, Mountain Man.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Story1970

Received a medical questionaire last week by email which my GP must sign and take with me for medical ( No date yet ) ! was wondering if this is a good sign ? am I nearly there ? any advice welcome :mad:

Story1970 wrote: »
    Received a medical questionaire last week by email which my GP must sign and take with me for medical ( No date yet ) ! was wondering if this is a good sign ? am I nearly there ? any advice welcome :mad:

I received same but also with a list of dates for me to revert with the one that suited. I would give them a ring/email, it seems strange to ask for a form to be filled in and then no date to produce same at medical.

Regards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Story1970

Thanks I'll give it a little longer. Still waiting for the Super Interview date so we'll see what happens .... Good luck with the medical

Story1970 wrote: »
    Thanks I'll give it a little longer. Still waiting for the Super Interview date so we'll see what happens .... Good luck with the medical

Thanks Story1970, this is the last hurdle for me after many months of waiting. Best of luck with the interview, just be yourself.

MasterSun wrote: »
    I'll meet you there, Mountain Man.
    :)

Passed the medical today, last hurdle thankfully completed and received a call this afternoon from GR office to say I'm starting on the 26th. How did you get on MasterSun? Anybody else there today from this thread?

Passed the medical today, last hurdle thankfully completed and received a call this afternoon from GR office to say I'm starting on the 26th. How did you get on MasterSun? Anybody else there today from this thread?
    Congrats, Mountain Man!

unfortuantly,
    I did not pass mine, Failed the eye test. so disappointed..
    I was the 6th person to see the doc upstairs, i was told only 2 passed b4 me.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

Congrats, Mountain Man!

unfortuantly,

Sorry to hear that :( ,what's the story now, did he say you can go off and correct them then come back and do it again or what ? :confused:

Also what does the eye test fully entail ? How far away from the eye/snellen chart are you made to stand when doing this test ?

Congrats, Mountain Man!

unfortuantly,

Very sorry to hear that Master Sun. That’s a lot of disappointed people on the day then. I was the 1st I think, Doc very quick but thorough.

As CO19's question, were you deferred? Do you have glasses or will you go to an optician? Try to give it another go if they'll allow it
    I wear glasses (last 3 months only) but didn't need them for eye test as I passed even with my weak left eye.

CO19 - chart is approx 8-10 feet away, read down to the approx 5th line (6,18) with one eye covered, repeat with the other eye and that's it. He does a few more tests with an eye box for colour, peripheral vision, etc.

Are you going for a medical?

Very sorry to hear that Master Sun. That’s a lot of disappointed people on the day then. I was the 1st I think, Doc very quick but thorough.

As CO19's question, were you deferred? Do you have glasses or will you go to an optician? Try to give it another go if they'll allow it
    I wear glasses (last 3 months only) but didn't need them for eye test as I passed even with my weak left eye.

CO19 - chart is approx 8-10 feet away, read down to the approx 5th line (6,18) with one eye covered, repeat with the other eye and that's it. He does a few more tests with an eye box for colour, peripheral vision, etc.

Are you going for a medical?

hi Mountain Man,

I wear glasses, but they didn't let me to wear it during the test. I was only able to read the top 2 lines, so they suggested i should do a laser treatment
    if i really want to join the force. Of course, i have to pay the expense myself.
    anyway, they kept my file and gave me some time to think about it.
    But i have no intention of having the Eye surgery so soon, so i'm gonna wait a few yrs and re-apply from the start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 scanner man

what age are you mastersun as do they not take this into account when undertaking the eye test

Advertisement