Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River Moy Daily Reports & Updates

• 15-03-2013 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭

For anyone interested in fishing on the River Moy in County Mayo, Moyfisher is now doing daily reports and updates on catch's and river conditions. You can find him at moyfisher.wordpress.com. The site is now live and the first report is now up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

Good site. Have fished the east mayo a few times and would love to join the club but cant afford to. Think its a few hundred euro but first have to buy 14 full day tickets :( .

I also like fishing the cloongee stretch but cant afford paying the daily day tickets either. Does anyone know why they dont do any yearly tickets like other stretches do.

Ill be joining the foxford stretch this season as ive been told that if i live 10mie radious then its only 100euro for the season. im not to far from the stretch and cant wait to get out on my boat on the moy this year. Im hoping to break my 12lb record and heres hoping the next one is in the 20s lol

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

newbie2013 wrote: »
    Good site. Have fished the east mayo a few times and would love to join the club but cant afford to. Think its a few hundred euro but first have to buy 14 full day tickets :( .

I also like fishing the cloongee stretch but cant afford paying the daily day tickets either. Does anyone know why they dont do any yearly tickets like other stretches do.

Ill be joining the foxford stretch this season as ive been told that if i live 10mie radious then its only 100euro for the season. im not to far from the stretch and cant wait to get out on my boat on the moy this year. Im hoping to break my 12lb record and heres hoping the next one is in the 20s lol

Did you say you we're going to put a boat on the moy?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

I'm sure if you drop moyfisher an e-mail he will give you some advise.
    http://moyfisher.wordpress.com/contact/

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

Flysfisher wrote: »

Did you say you we're going to put a boat on the moy?? :confused:

Yeah, the boat aint that heavy to carry onto the moy and where i fish is deep enough water so wont have any problem with getting stuck anywhere unless i got to some places on the east mayo.

Why did you comment with the confused face. Dont you know people fish from boats in ireland ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

Yeah, the boat aint that heavy to carry onto the moy and where i fish is deep enough water so wont have any problem with getting stuck anywhere unless i got to some places on the east mayo.

Why did you comment with the confused face. Dont you know people fish from boats in ireland ;)

Surely this has to be a wind up?

I'm not even going to get involved.....

Did you not have all the ins and outs of this explained to you last year on another forum?????

• Advertisement

Really? In 40 years of game angling in Ireland I never knew anyone fished from boats, sure I thought those things were magic carpets, thanks for that fulfilling enlightenment ;)
    By the way, which moy fishery are launching your magic carpet in?

I see Moyfisher has had his first cast of the year on the river Moy. Should be some interesting reports in the coming days, when the river levels rise's.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Several places where people use boats to fish for salmon in Ireland. I've seen it on the Moy at the Joinings, the Bann, Shannon, Lee and the Munster Blackwater in the tidal stretch. In Scotland, they use a big chain and the gillie pays it out as you go down the best beats while you fish with a double-hander on many of the big salmon rivers. I resume this is about rivers? Plenty of lakes obviously where you can catch salmon from a boat on the fly

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭tootsy70

Mr Bumble wrote: »
    Several places where people use boats to fish for salmon in Ireland. I've seen it on the Moy at the Joinings, the Bann, Shannon, Lee and the Munster Blackwater in the tidal stretch. In Scotland, they use a big chain and the gillie pays it out as you go down the best beats while you fish with a double-hander on many of the big salmon rivers. I resume this is about rivers? Plenty of lakes obviously where you can catch salmon from a boat on the fly

I would agree. I think the poster above is having the wind up because i have also seen boats on the moy, just below foxford when i was there a few years ago for a weeks fishing.

I dont know the laws concerning fishing from boats in ireland but id take a guess that its perfectly legal to fish in a river from a boat, infact i would prefer it rather than having to cross fields,clime fences etc.. that and the fact that ive walked through fields before with my son fishing, and the animals werent to happy we were there so we had to do a bolter.

Just as im typing this, i remember stopping at a bridge just outside of foxford(its the east mayo stretch if i remember correctly) and there was a sign saying boats for hire so clearly its possible to have a boat on this river.

• Advertisement

Mr Bumble wrote: »

Where is the joinings, would this be at the start of the river at ballina, if so ive also seen boats here on my way to inishcrone from the foxford direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

As I understand things , its the actual "fishery owners" have the boats , at

eg Foxford and Mount Falcon also in the (Ridgepool for those lacking

mobility usually
    ).

The only other people who put a boat on the freshwater Moy are the Fishery

Officers and recreational canoeists( who usually respect that its a major game

river). I never heard of an individual angler coming along and launching himself

or herself into a fishery with their own craft.( except poachers of course). I

suspect the fishery owner would have alot to say about the matter.

Park Royal wrote: »
    As I understand things , its the actual "fishery owners" have the boats , at

eg Foxford and Mount Falcon also in the (Ridgepool for those lacking

mobility usually
    ).

The only other people who put a boat on the freshwater Moy are the Fishery

Officers and recreational canoeists( who usually respect that its a major game

river). I never heard of an individual angler coming along and launching himself

or herself into a fishery with their own craft.( except poachers of course). I

suspect the fishery owner would have alot to say about the matter.

What would poachers be doing with a boat, sure that would just show what their at. Arent poachers suppose to do it without anyone noticing.

Can you tell me why a fishery owner wouldnt be to happy with someone fishing from a boat. Im not big into my fishing but i would have thought you'd get a better fishing experience having a boat and it would also save you from walking through wet fields with all your kit. IMO i cant see a fishery officer telling you to get off the river if your on a boat, maybe if you were acting the maggot but if you werent getting in anyones way, annoying other fisher men then i couldnt see it being a problem.

Lovely fish , thanks for the pic

just under 19lber caught on the fly. stuff i could only dream about

Michael%20Dentch%20200413%2018.75lbs.jpg

100_1222_01.jpg

9lb caught & released on East Mayo Anglers yesterday by moyfisher.

http://moyfisher.wordpress.com/2013/04/30/moy-report-30th-april-8-am/

mayo.mick wrote: »
    100_1222_01.jpg

9lb caught & released on East Mayo Anglers yesterday by moyfisher.

http://moyfisher.wordpress.com/2013/04/30/moy-report-30th-april-8-am/

Excellent stuff, we have a real angler on our hands here.

Nice fish but i think someone is telling porkies. It doesnt look 9lb to me, if it is, excuse me

• Advertisement

tootsy70 wrote: »
    Nice fish but i think someone is telling porkies. It doesnt look 9lb to me, if it is, excuse me

Moyfisher is a very genuine guy, wouldn't tell "porkies"! I will check it with him, could be a typo in the post?

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Moyfisher is a very genuine guy, wouldn't tell "porkies"! I will check it with him, could be a typo in the post?

Does it look a 9lber to you ?

Does it look a 9lber to you ?

was just talking to moyfisher and he reckoned about 8lb 15oz ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I would agree. I think the poster above is having the wind up because i have also seen boats on the moy, just below foxford when i was there a few years ago for a weeks fishing.

Probably this spot? There plenty of boats around there, you can see where they tie up if you look closely.

Probably this spot? There plenty of boats around there, you can see where they tie up if you look closely.

Come to think about it, i have seen pictures on the internet with boats on the moy on this spot. How much do they hire them out for ?

Come to think about it, i have seen pictures on the internet with boats on the moy on this spot. How much do they hire them out for ?

Not sure and can't see it on any website but i have definitely seen boats out and about with ghillies. I can PM you a local ghillie service if you are interested.

Not sure and can't see it on any website but i have definitely seen boats out and about with ghillies. I can PM you a local ghillie service if you are interested.

Yeah please.

I checked online and seen this

edit.. link not working but its on the downhill house hotel , day out on boat for x amount

That's near the estuary in Ballina probably?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

That is the mooring point for the boat used by The Foxford Fishery, a private beat that has to be booked in advance.
    The boat is not for use for fishing, merely to transport clients to different parts of the beat.

• Advertisement

That is the mooring point for the boat used by The Foxford Fishery, a private beat that has to be booked in advance.
    The boat is not for use for fishing, merely to transport clients to different parts of the beat.

Are you sure about that, i recall seeing people fishing from it but perhaps they were merely en route.

Advertisement