Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catholic Church's Eucharistic Congress 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

If this was a Muslim or Jewish event people and someone criticised it, they'd immediately be accused of being a bigot but the Catholic church is fair game?

I hope it's a successful event :cool:

To be fair you seem to be the bigot.
    If this was a jewish or muslim event and posted here people would critisice and mock just the same.

Or maybe your right its just the RCC thats critisiced and no other religion in the world has ever been mocked and ridiculed :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

There's going to be some smell of piss left in croke park after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Statio Orbis takes place in Croke Park on June 17th. Tickets are as scarce as the Madonna concert and only the most dedicated parishoners will be able to get their hands on them.

I just hope to God it won't be a happy-clappy Vatican II type affair and those crusty protesters who insist that church-goers have blood on their hands RE: child abuse will be kept well at bay.

Crusty protesters? How do you define crusty? And what objection do you have to citizens exercising their fundamental right to protest? Especially in view of the fact that many of them feel the church needs to do a lot more to tackle the issue of screwing children before it lavishly celebrates 1,580 years of screwing people's heads.

No one has said churchgoers have blood on their hands. It's the thought of what's been on some of the priests' hands, given where those hands have been:eek:, that upsets people.:pac::pac:

Don't worry that I'll be there pissing on your picnic. I wouldn't be found dead within ten miles of a gig like that, with only "the most dedicated parishoners (sic)" able to get tickets.:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Will try and get to this.

I bet you'll burst your gut laughing at the whole thing. A friendly word of advice, though. Don't wear your sash. :):):)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

pmcmahon wrote: »

After?
    What about during?
    I suspect there might be something fishy going on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Hes got the whooole world *CLAP* in his hands

He got the whole world in his hands

he's got a kiiiids **** *CLAP* in his hands

he's got a kids **** in his hands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

pmcmahon wrote: »

your going then? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

your going then? ;)

you're
    FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

forfuxsake wrote: »
    you're
    FFS

tut,tut : )

deco nate wrote: »
    tut,tut : )

yeah tut, tut

your, you're
    their, they're, there
    definitely

fcuk everything else

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 BlackCatMeoww

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Crusty protesters? How do you define crusty? And what objection do you have to citizens exercising their fundamental right to protest? Especially in view of the fact that many of them feel the church needs to do a lot more to tackle the issue of screwing children before it lavishly celebrates 1,580 years of screwing people's heads.

No one has said churchgoers have blood on their hands. It's the thought of what's been on some of the priests' hands, given where those hands have been:eek:, that upsets people.:pac::pac:

Don't worry that I'll be there pissing on your picnic. I wouldn't be found dead within ten miles of a gig like that, with only "the most dedicated parishoners (sic)" able to get tickets.:D:D

The people who protest regularly outside the Pro-Cathedral (block people's way, howl abuse and spit in people's path) do blame Mass-goers for the abuse. Now I'm not saying that you align yourself with the hardcore anti-Church brigade, but when they engage in those kinds of tactics, they're no better than the type of recreational protesters (i.e. crusties) who set up camp outside the Central Bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

The people who protest regularly outside the Pro-Cathedral (block people's way, howl abuse and spit in people's path) do blame Mass-goers for the abuse. Now I'm not saying that you align yourself with the hardcore anti-Church brigade, but when they engage in those kinds of tactics, they're no better than the type of recreational protesters (i.e. crusties) who set up camp outside the Central Bank.

Yes, but by continuing to go to Mass you are thereby supporting the Catholic Church, which many would interpret as meaning you don't think the sex abuse scandals were bad enough to turn you away from it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

I am horrified by that comment. My cousin is retarded. Retarded means slow not buckfcukin' stupid

How dare you! My cousin is religious, thus stupid, but she does NOT fück bucks. Retract that statement at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    Yes, but by continuing to go to Mass you are thereby supporting the Catholic Church, which many would interpret as meaning you don't think the sex abuse scandals were bad enough to turn you away from it

That's an interesting POV, that by practicing their faith - attending Mass is integral to the faith - all Catholics are guilty. Here, anti-Church sentiment leads naturally to contempt for practicing Catholics. That was a comment worth noting, because what flows logically from it is very disturbing.

marty1985 wrote: »
    That's an interesting POV, that by practicing their faith - attending Mass is integral to the faith - all Catholics are guilty. Here, anti-Church sentiment leads naturally to contempt for practicing Catholics. That was a comment worth noting, because what flows logically from it is very disturbing.

You don't understand. What I'm trying to say is attending Mass is a show of support for the Church, and organisation that unashamedly hid paedophiles and rapists. Many find this baffling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

These holier than thou ignorant Atheists, should take a leaf out of Louis CK's book and try and learn about the Church instead of making childish jokes about people's beliefs:

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

I addressed this in my short post, any attempt to say Mass is not integral to Catholic faith is being deliberately disingenuous. I only highlighted your post because it was an interesting comment, but a disturbing one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

You don't understand. What I'm trying to say is attending Mass is a show of support for the Church, and organisation that unashamedly hid paedophiles and rapists. Many find this baffling.

I think that most who attend Mass would rightly be disgusted and dismayed by the abuse scandals and the cover ups - and most practising Catholics I know would have difficulty containing their anger at those responsible, particularly at the top, when the subject comes up. However, they would also feel that the church is as much them as it is the Pope and the bishops, and the don't see why they should be pushed out. Also, many would attend as they would like and respect their priest. The Vatican and the bishops don't own the Church - they may think they do though.

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    I think that most who attend Mass would rightly be disgusted and dismayed by the abuse scandals and the cover ups - and most practising Catholics I know would have difficulty containing their anger at those responsible, particularly at the top, when the subject comes up. However, they would also feel that the church is as much them as it is the Pope and the bishops, and the don't see why they should be pushed out. Also, many would attend as they would like and respect their priest. The Vatican and the bishops don't own the Church - they may think they do though.

It can't have disgusted and dismayed them that much if they continue to support the organisation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

It seems to me there is a deep distrust within the Catholic Church amongst its members and many people rethinking about the faith. Why not become a Protestant? Could be another option if you disagree with the Church now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,042 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It seems to me there is a deep distrust within the Catholic Church amongst its members and many people rethinking about the faith. Why not become a Protestant? Could be another option if you disagree with the Church now.

Stop trying to convert people Keith, it's rude!

It can't have disgusted and dismayed them that much if they continue to support the organisation!

What I am saying is that they aren't supporting the organisation, they are practising their faith and living it within the local parish. For example, someone could attend Mass, make a donation to the priests of the parish, and withold a contributions to diocesan funds. It is difficult to see how such a person is "supporting the organisation". Are you suggesting that individuals with a strong faith don't have the right to practice it because of the criminal acts of some of the clergy?

I think that most who attend Mass would rightly be disgusted and dismayed by the abuse scandals and the cover ups

the rest, however, think the little buggers had it coming (if you'll pardon the pun)

Because replacing one load of imaginary friends with another is futile. Why not start throwing virgins into Etna to see if it will address the debt crisis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Because replacing one load of imaginary friends with another is futile. Why not start throwing virgins into Etna to see if it will address the debt crisis?
    I was putting that option to people of the Catholic faith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

It seems to me there is a deep distrust within the Catholic Church amongst its members and many people rethinking about the faith. Why not become a Protestant?

There aren't free from scandals either, they have have own high profile abuse cases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Catholic Church's Eucharistic Congress 2012.

Is this a bit like the Golden Clerics or something?

the rest, however, think the little buggers had it coming (if you'll pardon the pun)

It pains me to say it, but there is a small minority who think that the whole thing is blown out of all proportion, or that we shouldn't be talking about it because non-Catholics abuse children too. I prefer not to discuss it with them because it's pointless, and lets face it, f**k them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

These chaps are a lot more fun www.ukeristiccongress.com In Whelans Front Bar every second Saturday (Tomorrow) 7pm - 9pm

You also enjoy twiddling with small instruments?

• Advertisement

It pains me to say it, but there is a small minority who think that the whole thing is blown out of all proportion, or that we shouldn't be talking about it because non-Catholics abuse children too. I prefer not to discuss it with them because it's pointless, and lets face it, f**k them.

they'd probably enjoy it, never met such people but I believe you the exist, for me they are just as guilty and should be ashamed. :mad:

Advertisement