Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

An Introduction to Game Development using Unity [Galway]

• 07-03-2011 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

This coming Monday 14th of March at 6pm (in 091 Labs, Galway) is the first in a series of workshops dedicated to game development. Game development can be an exciting and creative hobby, and the with rise of tools like Unity it is now easier than ever for one person to develop and release a game.

What is Unity?

Unity is a integrated 3D engine and authoring tool, designed to make game development as quick and easy as possible. Whereas in the past using similar engines/tools has also meant limiting your game in regards to speed, customisation or graphical prowess, Unity gives you a lot of control and a great modern, and fast, 3D engine.
    And of course, Unity is also completely free (even if you sell the game).

Who should attend?

Anyone who has interest in game development.
    It is expected that those who attend will have, at least, a basic understanding of a programming language (variables, loops, functions etc.).

What will I learn at the workshop?

The workshop aims to develop in participants a broad understanding of game design and implementation concepts such as game play, physics, sound and 3D graphics.
    In this first workshop each participant will be creating a basic game along the lines of Marble Madness. All assets (3d models, textures, sounds etc) will be provided.
    This will cover the following topics:
    • The Unity Editor Interface
    • Setting up a Project & Scene
    • Using the Inspector
    • Scripting object behaviours using JavaScript*
    • Using Physics (PhysX)
    • Adding Sound
    • Creating the HUD (GUI)
    * For simplicity we will using JavaScript during this workshop, however if there is demand I will cover using C# at a later stage. Unity has it's own JavaScript/C# compilers and all scripts are compiled during the build process (not JIT), increasing the speed of the scripts in-game

What do I need to bring?

A laptop (or PC) capable of running Unity: http://unity3d.com/unity/system-requirements
    Unity itself will be provided on the day, but preinstalling it would be good: http://unity3d.com/unity/download/

Where and when is the event being held?

At 091 Labs, 14th March from 6pm to 11pm.

How much does it cost?

The event itself is free, with a suggested donation of €5 to 091 Labs for non-members (to help keep these events going).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭padair

I would love to go to something like this but I am not in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

I'd love to go to this too but I'm not in Galway that often anymore :(

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

sounds interesting but ive only done a little programming before C++ and a bit of ASP back in my college days :pac: would I be wasting my time attending?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Faerdan

As long as you understand variables and loops you'll be fine. :)

I presume its Bring Your Own Laptop?

• Advertisement

Yes indeed, I forgot to mention that in the post.

We do have space for a pc if you've no laptop. :)

Last night went very well.

We had seven attendees (with two others who couldn't stay due to other comittments) and by the end of the session each person had created a marble game where you maneuver a marble around a track collecting diamonds.

A simple beginning but not bad for four hours.

Next week we'll be improving on the marble game by adding an improved GUI (at the moment it's just text), obstables (a turntable maybe), turrets and boosters (doing these will teach about interactions between objects).

I'm not sure about the day, Monday is good for me but three other people who want to attend are busy on Mondays.

If anyone else would like to join us next week let me know and I'll get the project from last week to you so that you can have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Any chance these workshops could be recorded and youtub-ed? (or any presentations used, linked to)

Would give those of us interested, but unable to attend in Galway the chance to learn some basics :)

I do like that idea. It looks like I'll be re-running the first (introductory) workshop some time in the near future for those who had to leave early or couldn't make it due to other comittments.

I'll see about getting a charger for my camera. :)

Faerdan wrote: »
    I do like that idea. It looks like I'll be re-running the first (introductory) workshop some time in the near future for those who had to leave early or couldn't make it due to other comittments.

I'll see about getting a charger for my camera. :)

Would be very much appreciated! Been trying to get myself back into programming (haven't in years) but finding the motivation very difficult while trying to learn from pages upon pages of text!

Much easier to have someone show you the ropes!

• Advertisement

I know what you mean.

Unity is very good, but the official tutorials are severly lacking. They give you a full completed project and a PDF document with a tutorial written by someone who seems to forget that the person using the tutorial doesn't know Unity as well as they do.

Everyone who attended the introduction really enjoyed it.

Wow Unity is very powerful. Just had a flick through the site there on my phone lol

Has tonnes of modern features. Im assuming its OpenGL based?

Even better.

You game is essentially platform agnostic, you use the build system to generate a native application for each target platform.

When building on Windows Unity uses DirectX and on all other platforms it uses OpenGL (OpenGL ES for mobile platforms).

So you could develop a game for web browsers and then later on buy an iOS and/or Android license ($400) and build it for those platforms too.

You might need to decrease the texture/mesh resolutions for the mobile version, and add tilt/touch controls, but that's about it.

Here are two nice videos of recent Unity additions:

Deferred Lighting
    http://vimeo.com/14832454

Beast Lightmapping (Lightmap Baking)
    http://vimeo.com/13361651

And here is a nice video for those interested in Unity on Android:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrG9AEq1PCU

I think this is the coolest Unity game I've seen. The browser based Battlestar Galactica Online:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMjFrUr5zIU
    http://battlestar-galactica.bigpoint.com/ (Go here to play, it's in open beta)

i'd love to get involved in this over the summer if i'm back in galway

It would be great to get a community of game developers (serious & hobbyist) going in Galway.

Then later in the Summer we could organise a GameJam, where people get together for 24 hours to create a game based on a theme (it's fun and helps to develop skills).

Hey all,

The next session is next Tuesday 22nd of March, and the workshop will be held every Tuesday thereafter (it suits people better).

If you didn't attend the first session, don't worry, we'll provide everything you'll need to catch up.

In the next session we'll be adding turrets, powerups and a proper GUI to the game.

We'll also be covering some of the work done in session one, in more detail.

Missed it this monday due to work :(
    will there be an opportunity to do yesterdays workshop again?
    Also check out
    www.interstellarmarines.com
    http://www.nplay.com/BeGone/for more unity developed games :)

Hey man,

The workshop is on this evening from 6pm, can you make it? (It'll be Tuesdays any more)

Faerdan wrote: »
    Hey man,

The workshop is on this evening from 6pm, can you make it? (It'll be Tuesdays any more)

Dang! cant go this evening either :( but I will be free from next week on, would i be able to d/l a sample project to cover this tuesdays work?

Yes of course, I'll upload it tomorrow afternoon.

Were you at last week's session? I don't have anyone's username. :)

• Advertisement

yup, was there last week, guy who won the snickers :D

Ah, I do remember your name, but I'll keep it off here in case you don't want your true identity known. :)

I'll get some notes and a copy of the updated project to you tomorrow.

Hey guys,

We had two people who were new to the workshop, one who missed a good chunk of last week and another who wanted a better grasp on the basics, so we ended up covering a lot of last week's content, just in more detail (we did things like having the diamonds/pickups add themselves to a counter on the Marble (for the target score), added a diamond pickup sound, and had the diamond shrink when collected rather than just disappear).

We also made better use of functions to tidy the code, and had more interaction between object components in the scripting.

I'll upload a sample project within the next day or two (with the above additions).

So next Tuesday (29th March) we'll be covering the content that I had prepared for this week.

-Mark

how are these workshops going? any links to anything created so far? :)

They're going quiet well but I haven't had time to put anything together to post online.

At the very minimal I'll add comment's to one of the lad's sample projects and upload that.

Hi all,

Sorry for the short notice but I have to postpone this week’s Unity workshop to next week (it’s my partner’s birthday and I hadn’t clicked that the 5th is tomorrow).

We'll be back again on the 12th April.

Thanks,
    Mark

Hi all,

Due to a number of committments and work being very busy I'm going to have to put the Unity workshops on the backburner for a while.
    I would like to continue them again in May but I'll just have to see how things go.

I'm always available to answer any questions or just have a chat about Unity, feel free to e-mail me at [email]faer_dan@g_mail.com[/email] (remove the underscores).

Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Regards,

Mark

Advertisement