Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My boiler fires up Ok but then stops about 2 minutes

Options
  • 22-11-2015 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I'm not used to ths type of heating systems, I got 500 ltrs of Kerosene, switched it on, it fires up, the thermostat set on 3 on a scale from 1 > 5. less than 3 minutes, it turns off. nothing looks wrong, and it won't work again. If you turn the thermostat for higher number, lets say 4, it'll kick in again for the same amount of time before it turns off. Increase the thermostat to Max, it'll run for the same amount of time, then it dies again. inside the house there is no sign of any hot waters been pumped into the system. what's going On with my boiler? any idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

Check the circulating pump

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

KK4SAM wrote: »
    Check the circulating pump

+1
    Put your hand on it to see if it's running. Careful it may be very hot. If running, you will feel a very slight vibration.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Boeingman

I just Checked the circulating pump, and it's so quiet, no noise no vibration

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Boeingman wrote: »
    I just Checked the circulating pump, and it's so quiet, no noise no vibration

Was this the first time youve used the boiler since the summer?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Was this the first time youve used the boiler since the summer?

Yes, This is the first time, I don't own the house, I rent it. and it's the first time to get the heater on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Boeingman wrote: »
    Yes, This is the first time, I don't own the house, I rent it. and it's the first time to get the heater on

Your pump may simply be seized. There is a large nut or screw on the front of the pump. If it's a big black but, just unscrew it and move it left/right. If it's a big screw, then unscrew fully, put a straight screwdriver into it and turn it. Put back large screw head.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Your pump may simply be seized. There is a large nut or screw on the front of the pump. If it's a big black but, just unscrew it and move it left/right. If it's a big screw, then unscrew fully, put a straight screwdriver into it and turn it. Put back large screw head.

I checked the pump, Removed the screw, I put in the screwdriver and it moved freely and smoothly both ways, fired the boiler, put my hand over the pump, it was as cold, quiet and still as I last checked

I guess that means either it's dead, or no power reaching it for some reason.
    I live in Cork City, any advice on shops/workshops where I can get spare parts and or technicians, those who won't overcharge me to get it fixed?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Where is the pump located?
    Check that room stats are turned up.
    Does the pump need to be plugged in somewhere to work?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Wearb wrote: »
    Where is the pump located?
    Check that room stats are turned up.
    Does the pump need to be plugged in somewhere to work?

The pump is connected directly to the power feeding the burner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Jimmy_M

had same problem a few weeks ago - pump was actually new-ish....

After trying it a few times over a few weeks (i wasnt living there at the time) i eventually called someone out, telling him the pump was dead.
    Murphy's law - He arrived, switched on the boiler and miraculously all the rads started heating...

Been working away ever since. I put it down to something lodged somewhere - mine is old and in an awful state i can hear the gank and debris running around the system when its running.

• Advertisement

Jimmy_M wrote: »
    had same problem a few weeks ago - pump was actually new-ish....

After trying it a few times over a few weeks (i wasnt living there at the time) i eventually called someone out, telling him the pump was dead.
    Murphy's law - He arrived, switched on the boiler and miraculously all the rads started heating...

Been working away ever since. I put it down to something lodged somewhere - mine is old and in an awful state i can hear the gank and debris running around the system when its running.

I contacted the landlord this morning, she said she'll be sending somebody up this evening to check it out. It seems gonna be another freezing butt night, I'll wait and see what the gentleman is gonna do about it. I hope for another miracle just like yours Jimmy

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

Don't keep us in the cold,what did he find ?

KK4SAM wrote: »
    Don't keep us in the cold,what did he find ?

:) Sorry for late coming back to you lads, Been so busy enjoying a Tropical climate in my house ^_^
    Well, It was indeed the circulating pump. Is deaaaaaaaaaaaad, he got a brand new one and we are back in business.
    Thank you all for your contribution in this topic,
    Wishing you all warm and cozy homes ;)

Advertisement