Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Finding accommodation on the day in Japan?

Options
  • 27-10-2014 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭

I'm off to Japan for 2 weeks next month (flying out the 28th), and so far only have my first 4 nights accommodation in Tokyo booked.
    After this I'll head for Hakone, Kyoto and Hiroshima/Miyajima.

I'd like to have some freedom to change my plans a little and spend a few nights in other spots.
    Would it be difficult to find somewhere reasonably priced if I arrived in these areas on the day? In particular Miyajima.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Caybar

I wouldn't try turn up on the day, Japan isnt the easiest place to get around and negotiate these types of things, you'd also get better rates if you book in advance.

Kyoto in particular is very crowded during November, would be hard and/or very expensive to find somewhere on the day.

For Hiroshima, you might not need to stay over, If you started early you could spend a few hours at the peace memorial/museum then a few hours at Miyajima, then get a train back to wherever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

There's not many places to stay on Miyajima itself and I would expect them to get booked pretty early in advance. There's no need to stay on the island though - it's only a short trip from Hiroshima where you'll have many more accomodation options.

At the end of the day I suppose it comes down to how much money you have and whether or not you're willing to pay for that extra bit of freedom. Many people don't book accom until the last minute but more often than not you'll pay for it and/or be stuck somewhere less than ideal. You may also have to deal with the added stress of not being able to find a place/only left with very expensive/far way/crap places. IMO it's not worth it but to you it may be!

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

How about http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2032.html for accommodation down past Osaka .

if you ever bump into http://tokyoplaces.com/ it would be better to avoid any of the rooms the guy has on offer , he was reported recently for running a flop house without a license and for stitching up tourists plus not refunding deposits.

Finding accommodation on the day might be hard, especially if you don't speak Japanese. Consider the following:
    1. couch surfing - there are certain people willing to put others up for the night in their apartment/house. I'd be careful, though!
    2. All-night karaoke! I'm not suggesting you sing all night! Just go to a karaoke place and sleep in the room! Granted they'll probably kick you out around 5/6am, but the trains will be running by then.
    3. Internet cafe! This is my personal favourite. Book a booth in one of these 24-hour cafes. Make sure you go for the Japanese style booth with the padded floor (take your shoes off!). You can sleep here as long as you want and it's surprisingly cheap. Not to mention many of them have food, drinks bars, lockers and showers!
    Just a few ideas:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

Thanks for all of the advice!

Decided to book everything beforehand. Seems the smarter option.

As suggested I'm staying in an Airbnb in Hiroshima for 2 days. I'll visit Miyajima while there.
    As for Kyoto I booked 2 days in a budget hotel and 3 nights in an Airbnb apartment just north of the station.

Any suggestions for a good area of Tokyo to stay in for my last 4 nights?
    I'm in Asakusa at the start of the trip so I'd like something a bit different, but reasonably central.

• Advertisement
Advertisement