Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tesco Homebrew?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

H.O.T.A.S. wrote: »
    Tesco Clarehall are stocking some stuff. Coopers kits, a lot of Youngs bits and bobs and Geordie kits. Wine making paraphernalia as well.

how much were the coopers diy kits?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

The Coopers Bitter kit in the image on the previous page was 17 euro - the homebrew shop I bought mine from has the same kit for 14.50 - not a lot in the difference really

I was wondering how much the DIY kits are, the total package with the fermeter, bottles, beer kit etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Seaneh wrote: »
    I was wondering how much the DIY kits are, the total package with the fermeter, bottles, beer kit etc.

I didn't pay any notice to them TBH. But I think they where around €80, but not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I kinda regret buying my kit (though it's handy) it would be just as easy to use a food safe mayonaise tub or something!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

Generally everything is a little more expensive (5 to 10%) than the Homebrew Company or Homebrew West.

Tube wrote: »
    Generally everything is a little more expensive (5 to 10%) than the Homebrew Company or Homebrew West.

In that case, sure, just nip into homebrewwest so, they are just down the road from tesco and if they are near the same/cheaper in price, may as well support the little guy.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Sky King wrote: »
    I kinda regret buying my kit (though it's handy) it would be just as easy to use a food safe mayonaise tub or something!!

I have a chef friend so got two food safe buckets from him. One about 20L, the other about 9-10L. I added a tap to the bigger one and I regularly use it (e.g. it's in use now). I slightly prefer the fermenting buckets for a few (all small) reasons:

1) they're bigger
    2) they have measurements on them (this helps at priming time)
    3) you can see into them without opening them

All fairly minor things as I said. For the cost of a tap and a few minutes of your time boring out a hole it, they're great value though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have got many containers over the years. If you know somebody who lifts weights they might take protein powders which can come in big tubs. I have a rock solid 15L protein powder drum, I planned on doing a half kit in it.

I got 20L veg oil ones from eddie rockets, you have to be sure to clean all oil out as it would effect the head, it was a bit flimsy but had a handle and cap so is OK. Best one was a solid 25L one with cap & handle which had washing up liquid in it, got this in a restaurant in college. Again needs proper rinsing.

Since they are typically charged to get rid of waste a restaurant might be only too happy to have people take them. Maybe email around some local ones. I had a plastic lined metal veg oil drum once, but it is not really meant for repeat use.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭H.O.T.A.S.

how much were the coopers diy kits?

If memory serves me correctly I think they were between €90-99

Coopers cans were €17 and Geordie kits between €12.95 to €15

Equipment like Youngs trial jars, hydrometers and sanitizer was all around the €4 mark.

As mentioned no Dextrose or Beer yeasts (wine yeast though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

H.O.T.A.S. wrote: »
    As mentioned no Dextrose or Beer yeasts (wine yeast though)
    Most tescos will have shamrock glucose either in the baby section and/or in the baking section. Same thing as dextrose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

I was in Tesco Clearwater today and they have added a home brew section.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

Does clearhall have one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

tteknulp wrote: »
    Does clearhall have one ?

yip

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

clarehall seems to have restocked everything today :D

Anyone know if the one in Balbriggan has homebrew stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Thinking of heading to Maynooth today, are they still stocking HomeBrew gear?

[Quote=Son0vagun yes

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Piercemeear

Anyone know if Clarehall stocks bucket fermenters? I got one in Naas a while ago, but I've only on the bike today so Clarehall's the only place in shooting distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Piercemeear

To answer my own question: Cycled out to Clarehall (oh god, the rain) and there was an empty space where the bucket fermenters should be. A lady checked on her hand-held barcode device and said they were no longer stocking that item (the 25l bucket).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Tullamore has started to stock now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Does Artaine Castle stock homebrew stuff?

Does Artaine Castle stock homebrew stuff?

Dont think so ,clarehall does

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Hunter Mahan

I'm thinking of starting a new hobby, does anyone know if they have these kits in Cork or Kerry?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 barbazal

Iv recently got a home brew kit from tesco wexford and think its brillant but its a 2 hour round trip to get supplys would be brill if they had them in waterford

Welcome to boards.
    barbazal wrote: »
    Iv recently got a home brew kit from tesco wexford and think its brillant but its a 2 hour round trip to get supplys would be brill if they had them in waterford

You'd save a fortune in petrol buying online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 barbazal

Ill have to theirs so much more available online :)

Weird, clarehall have moved the stock a bit and are charging 20 quid for the coopers kits, the youngs stuff is at the end of the aisle and there's barley wine, mild, lager and scottish heavy kits for 3.50!, some discounts on the wine kits too! Grabbed two barley wine and one scottish heavy, 10.50 for the lot. Might just throw the three into a bucket and see what sort of monstrosity comes out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Going to head up in the morning pick up some of that, thanks for the tip

Where in the shop is it? Last time I was there it was over in the homewares section

• Advertisement

Going to head up in the morning pick up some of that, thanks for the tip

Where in the shop is it? Last time I was there it was over in the homewares section

The discounted stuff is on the end of that aisle, there was a good few cheap kits left this evenin'.

Advertisement