Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New UPC 100mb Thomson TWG870UIR Router

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Just did some more tests with Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH running DD-WRT (DD-WRT v24-sp2 (02/17/11) std) in the DMZ zone of the Thompson and got 9.71MB/sec downloading an ISO from heanet. Is it normal for speeds to fluctuate a lot? See attached screenshot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

careful this router overheats.

i get less than half a meg dl ul now (was getting 50mb/s before it overheated.... will need to order a new router tomorrow from upc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 snac

And interesting. My transfer rates have dropped significantly since I had my phone transfered to UPC and consequently been leaving the router on 24x7.

Will check it out. Thx for the heads up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭Zardoz

What are the default settings for nameserver and gateway on this modem ?
    I have changed the router ip address to 192.168.1.1
    Should the nameserver and gateway be the same ,192.168.1.1 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

These are my glorious 100mb speeds! Was getting decent speeds for a while by the last few weeks it has gotten worse and worse...

test2.png

I've been doing a load of tests all day... It topped out at around 6mbps earlier, other times it drops the connection... Doing my head in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

unklerosco wrote: »
    These are my glorious 100mb speeds! Was getting decent speeds for a while by the last few weeks it has gotten worse and worse...

test2.png

I've been doing a load of tests all day... It topped out at around 6mbps earlier, other times it drops the connection... Doing my head in.

Nice ping times though. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 snac

Let us know how you get on with them.

My speeds have been varying recently from 65mb - 103mb, with pings ranging from 6ms to 60ms... So long as I get an average above 75mb, I'll be quite...

• Registered Users Posts: 45 rez

This issue with no bridged mode is quite the headwreck. Is there somewhere I can go and register my displeasure with UPC locking this out? I have my existing Cisco 1800 doing PPPoE over my old DSL and intended to just switch this to plain DHCP with the new router.

Not being able to do this means a lot of work and being forced to use this thomson as my internet gateway which won't do what I need or have the horsepower for all the NAT.

The web interface doesn't seem to have any option to do it or to upgrade to new firmware. If I do a nmap on it it does show a 'closed' tcp port 23 (telnet) but there doesn't seem to be any CLI access either, this stays down constantly.

rez wrote: »
    This issue with no bridged mode is quite the headwreck. Is there somewhere I can go and register my displeasure with UPC locking this out? I have my existing Cisco 1800 doing PPPoE over my old DSL and intended to just switch this to plain DHCP with the new router.

Not being able to do this means a lot of work and being forced to use this thomson as my internet gateway which won't do what I need or have the horsepower for all the NAT.

The web interface doesn't seem to have any option to do it or to upgrade to new firmware. If I do a nmap on it it does show a 'closed' tcp port 23 (telnet) but there doesn't seem to be any CLI access either, this stays down constantly.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71665694&postcount=452

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RedCardinal

Had an engineer in the house yesterday, as international speeds have been variable and generally poor. Using speedtests on UPC's HU and AT sites I was getting sub 5Mb on 50Mb line (NL was much better at ~40Mb).

Speedtests to US (dslreports.com) were worst, showing downloads sub 1Mb but uploads doing nicely at about 2-3Mb. So I got on the blower to them. Went through level 2 support who arranged for engineer to come.

He came, checked a few things then called his Regional Management Centre. After a short while checking some other things they told him that there is a known issue with the Thompson boxes affecting speeds. He asked should he swap out and was told not to - that there would be a fix coming in a few weeks.

Begs the question - if they know about a problem why aren't they telling people? Also why waste all the time and resources field testing when they know there's a problem with the boxes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

I have a quick question. I got the Thomson Modem & Wireless reuter today. Its all setup and working fine directly connected to the PC. Getting good speeds too.

I have my old NetGear Reuter here that i have all wireless network settings / open ports / homegroup setup through etc and id like to just keep using that an disable the wirelss option the Thomson Reuter.

I had a quick read through roasts post - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71665694&postcount=452 so thanks for that.

I just want to know for me to achieve as stated above do i need to go through all of that as per roasts post or is there an easier option? Im handy enough with networking etc but the post seems somewhat involved.

Cheers

MarkJD wrote: »
    I have a quick question. I got the Thomson Modem & Wireless reuter today. Its all setup and working fine directly connected to the PC. Getting good speeds too.

I have my old NetGear Reuter here that i have all wireless network settings / open ports / homegroup setup through etc and id like to just keep using that an disable the wirelss option the Thomson Reuter.

I had a quick read through roasts post - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71665694&postcount=452 so thanks for that.

I just want to know for me to achieve as stated above do i need to go through all of that as per roasts post or is there an easier option? Im handy enough with networking etc but the post seems somewhat involved.

Cheers

No worries.
    seeing as everything you need is already set up on the Netgear, then the best thing to do is keep that, and follow the instructions in the post. Its the easiest way to do it, AFAIK, unless someone's come up with something different. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Thanks again for the quick reply.

So did this had it all working fine, Internet and wireless was going through the old Netgear router. Trouble is i was only getting 15MB download and 3mb upload.

Through the Thomson im getting 49MB Download (on the 50mb option) and 4.9 upload.

Think the Netgear might be just old and not up for the latest speeds. I guess ill just deal with any new port forwarding / open ports i need to setup along the way. Would i be wrong in presuming that this will be as easy to do through the Thomson management page as it was on the Netgear one?

Thanks again!

So did this had it all working fine, Internet and wireless was going through the old Netgear router. Trouble is i was only getting 15MB download and 3mb upload.

Through the Thomson im getting 49MB Download (on the 50mb option) and 4.9 upload.

Think the Netgear might be just old and not up for the latest speeds. I guess ill just deal with any new port forwarding / open ports i need to setup along the way. Would i be wrong in presuming that this will be as easy to do through the Thomson management page as it was on the Netgear one?

Thanks again!

No worries.
    Over wireless? Is the Netgear set to broadcast at wireless-N? If not, that might be the cause of the slow speeds.

The Thomson is fine for forwarding ports etc, but the downside to it is that it has limited slots available to do so. :(

-Mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Thanks again!

If you enable upnp on the Thompson you should not have to set up anty rules.

I am using a second router with the thompson, no special setup. Enabled upnp on both. Getting Nat type 2 on a ps3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

journeyman wrote: »
    I've just got the Thomson router / modem as I've moved up to the UPC 50Mb service.
    However, I can't find anywhere in the router admin screens to set up static IPs for my LAN devices (i.e. to map IPs to the MAC addresses of each device so that the router always hands out the same IP to each device).
    Anyone? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

roast wrote: »
    No worries.
    seeing as everything you need is already set up on the Netgear, then the best thing to do is keep that, and follow the instructions in the post. Its the easiest way to do it, AFAIK, unless someone's come up with something different. :)

would this work with Airport Extreme too?

PrzemoF wrote: »

Off the top of my head, I can't recall if there is the option to do so. I assume there would be. I'll check later for you.
    would this work with Airport Extreme too?

I've never used one of those particular routers myself, but I would assume so, if its a typical ethernet router.

Off the top of my head, I can't recall if there is the option to do so. I assume there would be. I'll check later for you.

I've never used one of those particular routers myself, but I would assume so, if its a typical ethernet router.

I'm getting the 100mb installed saturday. Hopefully easy to connect the airport extreme to it as nedd acces to NAS drives attached to it

I'm getting the 100mb installed saturday. Hopefully easy to connect the airport extreme to it as nedd acces to NAS drives attached to it

Cool. Just follow the instructions on the link below, and you should be sorted. :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71665694&postcount=452

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

that's static DHCP, and not every device will have it. just checked on my thompson and it doesn't seem to have it as an available option, although my linksys/tomato router that i have hanging off the thompson does.

vibe666 wrote: »
    that's static DHCP, and not every device will have it. just checked on my thompson and it doesn't seem to have it as an available option, although my linksys/tomato router that i have hanging off the thompson does.
    Thanks, looks like I'll have to buy another wifi N router and bridge them :-(

Or investigate if there is a dynamic port forwarding....

Thanks, looks like I'll have to buy another wifi N router and bridge them :-(

Or investigate if there is a dynamic port forwarding....

What devices are you trying to set up? Is there any option of setting a static IP on said devices? Instead of the router flinging the same IP to the device, the device would just request the same IP when it is turned on.

I never tought of doing it that way - I always forced it from the router side! Definitely there is the option on those devices as they are 2 laptops. I want to have static IP for some software (ekiga, remote desktop and soon maybe a ftp server).
    Thanks!!

I never tought of doing it that way - I always forced it from the router side! Definitely there is the option on those devices as they are 2 laptops. I want to have static IP for some software (ekiga, remote desktop and soon maybe a ftp server).
    Thanks!!

Ah thats cool, no worries. Yeah, you're probably better off setting static IP's on the lappys as opposed to static DHCP. :)

I thought you might have been using something else, like a Windows Phone 7 mobile.... no options to set any static IP. Or DNS. Curiously enough, theres Proxy settings. Silly Microsoft. :p

[..] I thought you might have been using something else, like a Windows Phone 7 mobile.... no options to set any static IP. Or DNS. Curiously enough, theres Proxy settings. Silly Microsoft. :p

You won't find a piece of M$/Appl€ in my house :D

I've now all 3 wifis (in 2 laptops) on static IP - thanks again roast!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

I noticed in my Thompson router it has 5GHz mode, Which is weird because with the older firmware(the last modem UPC gave me that wouldn't update for some reason so they replaced it.) Didn't have this option there. The tab was there but no 5GHz was.

I wasn't aware this router had 5GHz!!

What are the login details for that Thomson modem please. I'm trying admin and blank password and not allowing me in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

What are the login details for that Thomson modem please. I'm trying admin and blank password and not allowing me in

IIRC it's the other way around.... blank login and admin is password.

• Advertisement

Thor wrote: »
    I noticed in my Thompson router it has 5GHz mode, Which is weird because with the older firmware(the last modem UPC gave me that wouldn't update for some reason so they replaced it.) Didn't have this option there. The tab was there but no 5GHz was.

I wasn't aware this router had 5GHz!!
    Doest it work for you? I cannot force my laptop with realtek rtl8188 dongle to connect to the router when in 5 GHz mode.

Advertisement