Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Walter Becket

14 inches from the front of the stove or past the door when open which ever is more is my understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Shanry wrote: »
    Hi
    I have bought a Carraig Mor 30kw boiler and am getting a granite slab cut to size. I'm at a loss to know how far it should project out from the stove, does anyone have one and can you help?
    Building Regulations website states 'the hearth projection should be at least 500mm' but this seems very excessive?
    Usual guide is how far the door opens and an inch or 2 more. I recently fitted a Stratford eb25 kW and regret not doing this as only protruded about 10 inches and it leaves the wooden floor a tad messy! I thought the same as you originally that it would be protruding a lot- changed my mind since I am going to add granite to it if I can get away with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

where do you get hearth slabs? are they sourced from builders' providers or headstone cutters? I want to fit a Henley Aran 6kw, rear exiting flue, to a standard fireplace. Would I need to put a flexible flue pipe down the chimney or can i just get a short joining pipe fitted?

regards
    Stovepipe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

gomamochi1 wrote: »
    Usual guide is how far the door opens and an inch or 2 more. I recently fitted a Stratford eb25 kW and regret not doing this as only protruded about 10 inches and it leaves the wooden floor a tad messy! I thought the same as you originally that it would be protruding a lot- changed my mind since I am going to add granite to it if I can get away with it!

Safety issue isn't it, rather than cosmetic? Stoves are safer than open fires in some senses with regard to sparks and lighted objects shooting out of the fire. But fires and adjacent wood floors/ other combustibles are potentially a dangerous mix.

Free standing stoves are probably more dangerous for small children though as they protrude more and the surfaces can get very hot.

Stovepipe - stone cutters probably best for a custom piece. I've used floor tiles to good effect which would be a cheaper solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

Shanry wrote: »
    Hi
    I have bought a Carraig Mor 30kw boiler and am getting a granite slab cut to size. I'm at a loss to know how far it should project out from the stove, does anyone have one and can you help?
    Building Regulations website states 'the hearth projection should be at least 500mm' but this seems very excessive?

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,37240,en.pdf
    page 27 300mm from frt of stove

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Shanry

Stovepipe wrote: »
    where do you get hearth slabs? are they sourced from builders' providers or headstone cutters? I want to fit a Henley Aran 6kw, rear exiting flue, to a standard fireplace. Would I need to put a flexible flue pipe down the chimney or can i just get a short joining pipe fitted?

regards
    Stovepipe

I'm getting mine made by a fireplace company in Kildare. It's beng cut to measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Triboro

BarryD wrote: »
    Safety issue isn't it, rather than cosmetic? Stoves are safer than open fires in some senses with regard to sparks and lighted objects shooting out of the fire. But fires and adjacent wood floors/ other combustibles are potentially a dangerous mix.

Free standing stoves are probably more dangerous for small children though as they protrude more and the surfaces can get very hot.

Stovepipe - stone cutters probably best for a custom piece. I've used floor tiles to good effect which would be a cheaper solution.

What would be best floor tiles around a stove to take all that heat? Think someone mentioned porcelain before, would they be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Urgent question. We have a Boru 600i inset stove (non-boiler) that was fitted yesterday. The fitter packed rock wool around the back and sides of the stove.

He did not put any insulation under the stove, which is testing on one inch of mortar, on top of two rows of blocks lying on their sides. The stove is therefore about 18 inches from the floor.

He also did not put any insulation on top of the stove or around where the smoke outlet pipe meets the stove.

This doesn't seem right to me. Can anyone advise me of the following:

Do I need insulation under the stove?
    Do I need insulation on top of the stove and around the pipe?

What type of insulation should I look for? Vermiculite? Ceramic roll? Something else?
    Any idea where to source the appropriate material in South Tipp if needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jobberx

mk2 wrote: »
    The performance is great i can't belive the heat in the house,i have 12 rads coming off it and it heats them no problem,the chieftain is 17kw output 15kw to water and 2kw to the room which is about right for me,i would advise anyone thats thinking about getting a stove in to do it its well worth it you would think the heating is on from about an hour after the fire is lit,the materials cost me €690 including pump tank and thermostat,the plumber charged €600 for the work he had to mod the flu reducer to fit and he got a plasterer to patch up the wall and he fitted the chimney cowel,and the stove and fireplace cost €2960 fitted feel free to ask any questions!

Hi MK2,

We recently fitted a chieftain like the one you have listed previously. What settings do you find works best for maximum heat within the room where the stove is.

Thanks

Jobber

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭mrtom

My recently installed stove, a Fireline FX 5W, smokes when I open it for refuelling, even with an open window to ensure air flow..

The install has 2 meters of flue lining then joining the existing flue. There is a downdraught cowl fitted. I am happy with the stove otherwise. The fireplace has always had a good draught with an open fire used before.
    Thoughts welcome

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

mrtom wrote: »
    My recently installed stove, a Fireline FX 5W, smokes when I open it for refuelling, even with an open window to ensure air flow..

The install has 2 meters of flue lining then joining the existing flue. There is a downdraught cowl fitted. I am happy with the stove otherwise. The fireplace has always had a good draught with an open fire used before.
    Thoughts welcome

What do you burn ?

I burn hardwood and find if I a) open the door very slowly and b) wait until the wood is down to glowing embers, I won't generally get smoke but it still does happen sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭MarkN

Thanks for the help on the fuel. Got stove coal today and the difference is like day and night. Not even a full load of coal has lasted three hours, heat off it is incredible.

22758700939_5ff4b479a9_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Urgent question. We have a Boru 600i inset stove (non-boiler) that was fitted yesterday. The fitter packed rock wool around the back and sides of the stove.

He did not put any insulation under the stove, which is testing on one inch of mortar, on top of two rows of blocks lying on their sides. The stove is therefore about 18 inches from the floor.

He also did not put any insulation on top of the stove or around where the smoke outlet pipe meets the stove.

This doesn't seem right to me. Can anyone advise me of the following:

Do I need insulation under the stove?
    Do I need insulation on top of the stove and around the pipe?

What type of insulation should I look for? Vermiculite? Ceramic roll? Something else?
    Any idea where to source the appropriate material in South Tipp if needed?

Hi there, essentially your stove is sitting on a concrete base like any other would..all good. You obviously wanted a raised type set up.
    With regard to sides and top, it should be stuffed with rock wool or vermiculite.
    If you have a stainless flue that should also be vermiculite from top down. Or rock wool on top and the pipe.
    It's not the total end of the world if it's not...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

MarkN wrote: »
    Thanks for the help on the fuel. Got stove coal today and the difference is like day and night. Not even a full load of coal has lasted three hours, heat off it is incredible.

22758700939_5ff4b479a9_c.jpg

Looks good.
    What brand of coal did you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭mrtom

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    What do you burn ?

I burn hardwood and find if I a) open the door very slowly and b) wait until the wood is down to glowing embers, I won't generally get smoke but it still does happen sometimes.
    Smokless and wood.
    I may have found a solution after research though:

A reason for installing a flue liner is to improve the draw. This is the air flow through the flue that encourages your stove to light and to burn. A relatively narrow flue pipe encourages a better draw, which is likely to mean your stove heats up more quickly and burns more efficiently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

Hoping for some advice. I'm not used to stoves but looking to put one in this wknd. The option is to put an 8kw in the sitting room which is about 4x3meters. It's oversized but we hoped it might heat the house somewhat. The suggestion is the Dimplex westcott 8 but after seeing it, we wondered if the firebox might be small for turf. Would be great if anyone hear might have any advice for us. Thanks

Triboro wrote: »
    What would be best floor tiles around a stove to take all that heat? Think someone mentioned porcelain before, would they be ok?

We used quarry tiles set in bed of mortar.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Hoping for some advice. I'm not used to stoves but looking to put one in this wknd. The option is to put an 8kw in the sitting room which is about 4x3meters. It's oversized but we hoped it might heat the house somewhat. The suggestion is the Dimplex westcott 8 but after seeing it, we wondered if the firebox might be small for turf. Would be great if anyone hear might have any advice for us. Thanks

Not much heat from turf and lots of ash..

Not much heat from turf and lots of ash..

True compared to coal but poster may have a good supply of turf at low or little cost :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

About to pull the trigger on a room heater.

Anyone have any experience with the Hamco Morgan 10kw dry stove?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 pat_power

Hello

I have recently had a trinity kinsale 17Kw stove with a back boiler installed in the sitting room. On the side of it is a dial labelled one to ten and I am not sure what this dial is for. I have read the manual that came with the stove and it has no mention to what this dial is or what it controls. Does anyone know what this dial controls? any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards
    Paddy

pat_power wrote: »
    Hello

I have recently had a trinity kinsale 17Kw stove with a back boiler installed in the sitting room. On the side of it is a dial labelled one to ten and I am not sure what this dial is for. I have read the manual that came with the stove and it has no mention to what this dial is or what it controls. Does anyone know what this dial controls? any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards
    Paddy

More than likely controls the air damper, letting more or less air in as you wish, which will in turn control how hot the fire burns (and how much fuel you use).

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Devrobia

pat_power wrote: »
    Hello

Regards
    Paddy

This Dial is your thermostat control. Number one being 50 degrees water temperature and 10 being 120 degrees water temperature. There is a sensor attached to the thermostat that reads the water temperature at the top of the boiler.

For example if you have your dial set to number one then once the water temperature reaches 50 degrees its starts to close down a damper allowing air into the stove in turn lowering the burn rate.

The higher the setting on the dial the longer the damper will stay open and the hotter the stove and water temperature will be.

Factory setting for this thermostat would be number 5.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I've a 20kw boru boiler stove since 2012, at the end of last year it was only barely heating the room. This year there is no heat what so ever from it. The chimney is cleaned once a month and the thermostat dial is working. It gave off excellent heat in the first few winters but its a disaster now. Anyone any idea what could be wrong? Its also rusting away nicely on the inside, I should have went for a cast iron stove :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭funnyclub

Had a Henley Achill 21kw fitted this week with new fireplace and I'm delighted with it.
    Only issue and its cosmetic and down to the builder of the house originally.
    The chimney Brest is wider by about 10mm one side it was fine looking with an open fire as you couldn't tell but to have the stove square to the heart and not look visually crooked there is a gap between the new fireplace and chimney brest in one side which I'll have to get filled somehow as it too big for caulk.
    Not a major issue just annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I've a 20kw boru boiler stove since 2012, at the end of last year it was only barely heating the room. This year there is no heat what so ever from it. The chimney is cleaned once a month and the thermostat dial is working. It gave off excellent heat in the first few winters but its a disaster now. Anyone any idea what could be wrong? Its also rusting away nicely on the inside, I should have went for a cast iron stove :mad:

Have you changed the type of fuel you're burning?

cocoman wrote: »
    Have you changed the type of fuel you're burning?
    No, the usual fuel coal and timber.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Any suggestions how to clean the glass. Been trying stove glass cleaner but not much luck...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Any suggestions how to clean the glass. Been trying stove glass cleaner but not much luck...

• Advertisement

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Damp kitchen towel dipped in ashes will clean it.

Advertisement