Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

EXCLUSIVE!!!! HYPERBOLIC HEADLINE! unrelated story...

• 18-10-2011 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭

It derailed another thread on a few occassions and it was suggested it should have its own, so after reading the 'news' today, here we go: Donegal Daily's top-notch journalism

<snip>

the numbers here are all over the shop. 2% of households are not covered by either analogue or digital. but due to our proximity to the north & the service from there, i would expect the donegal number to be proportionally lower than that, rather than the magic 10% that has somehow been pulled out of thin air.

<snip>

What relevance ryan tubridy's brother (who isnt even named) has in this story, i don't know.

<snip>

Advertisement masquerading as news

<snip>

as a wise man once said, "I mean, it's laughable Bill!!"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Classic DD.

Look at this:

<snip>

Where are they getting 30,000e?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Ha,makes for a good read anyway!

And Charlie McConolouge looks like Owen McLove from Father Ted!

"I've no willy!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Look at this:

<snip>

Where are they getting 30,000e?

Sorry, maybe I'm missing the intended pun here, but I wouldn't think a family losing €30,000 is a laughing matter?

If you're asking why DD would know it was €30,000, well, all I can assume is that the family knew how much was in the tin (wouldn't you, if you had €30,000 saved in your shed?) and they reported all of it missing to guardi.

Having said that, I do wonder about the "Oh Crumbs!" portion of the headline :rolleyes:

Ayla wrote: »
    Sorry, maybe I'm missing the intended pun here, but I wouldn't think a family losing €30,000 is a laughing matter?

I'm not saying the theft is a laughing matter. Read more DD articles and you might get the idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

and the stock photo of money in a biscuit tin isnt even euros

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Folks Noone has done anything wrong in this thread as such as it was not known about first off.

After a absolutely disgracefull "story" during the weekend (the nature of which I won't be discussing publicly) from DonegalDaily and after a chat with my co-mod Muffler on sunday evening we decided that under no circumstances is donegal daily to be discussed on this forum in future regardless of it being either for them or a thread against (like this one). It's better to not have any chat about it at all.

I will be PM'in the people who posted on this thread details of why this decision was made (apart from the obvious), also if anyone else is annoyed as to our (the mods) decision on this please fell free to PM me and I will clarify.

Homer_simpson.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,809 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Im a wee bit late into this thread but just to add that the DD was always good for a laugh with regards to their OTT sensationalism and, in my opinion, poor journalism. Im sure the people who prepare the stories mean well but without credible checking of detail coupled with lackluster editing it was never going to be taken seriously.

However the tragic events over the weekend which were published at complete variance with the truth has led us (the forum mods) to take a stand on the matter and as stated above, by my co-mod, we do not want to see any more reference to DD mentioned on this forum.

Its a sad indictment of their lack of proper journalism that we, the "Joe Soap" contributors to this online discussion forum, take more pride in our contributions in the various threads and we quite rightly consider our own opinions and posts to be more superior and factual than anything that can be found on DD which seems to be drifting in a sea of condemnation.

Onwards and upwards :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement