Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice on Irons

• 20-03-2015 1:35pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Went to a Taylormade custom fitting event last night and everyone got about 30 minutes each with the lads. They had all the latest toys and gadgets that you would have at a normal fitting. Usual crack, I hit a few with my irons and then got measured and hit a few with their latest offering. Christ the difference!! Rikand was there as well and he'll tell you how well i was hitting them!!
    Anyway, shafts on my irons are fine (have 85g and need 90g) but using theirs they were 1/2 inch shorter and 1 degree flatter (new Taylormade RSi) For someone who plays as irregular as i do, I'm finding it hard to justify the €699 price tag.

So, should i just get the 1/2 inch taken off my burners and try it out or sell them off and buy the RSi's? I asked the pro last night, even though he's a good friend, i reckon the salesman hat came on and he had me convinced i needed the new irons!!

I also need to throw away my 3 wood and get a 5 wood!!! (Will swap if anyone is interested, adverts add to follow)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

I think if it was me I would suck it up and buy the irons.You would probably get
    near 200 for the burners.If you cut them down it will change the swing weight on them.
    I know its a good bit of money but how long will you hold on to them for???
    I dont believe all the hype about more distance from manufacturers but I think of it as an investment.
    P.S dont tell her indoors!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Was it indoors? Or at a range where you could see the ball flight??

Unless i could see the ball flight i wouldn't dream of it, in the same way i wouldn't buy a new car after test driving a simulator as opposed to going out on the road for a drive.

My 2cents

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Went to a Taylormade custom fitting event last night and everyone got about 30 minutes each with the lads. They had all the latest toys and gadgets that you would have at a normal fitting. Usual crack, I hit a few with my irons and then got measured and hit a few with their latest offering. Christ the difference!! Rikand was there as well and he'll tell you how well i was hitting them!!
    Anyway, shafts on my irons are fine (have 85g and need 90g) but using theirs they were 1/2 inch shorter and 1 degree flatter (new Taylormade RSi) For someone who plays as irregular as i do, I'm finding it hard to justify the €699 price tag.

So, should i just get the 1/2 inch taken off my burners and try it out or sell them off and buy the RSi's? I asked the pro last night, even though he's a good friend, i reckon the salesman hat came on and he had me convinced i needed the new irons!!

I also need to throw away my 3 wood and get a 5 wood!!! (Will swap if anyone is interested, adverts add to follow)

The reviews of the RSi are universally positive so I would say go for it....lifes too short. Better to regret something you've done rather than something you haven't :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Lofts are cranked a bit so wondering how you were getting on with longer irons ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Was it indoors? Or at a range where you could see the ball flight??

Unless i could see the ball flight i wouldn't dream of it, in the same way i wouldn't buy a new car after test driving a simulator as opposed to going out on the road for a drive.

My 2cents

It was an outdoor range alright.

Ye are saying all the wrong things!! €700 for new irons!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

only problem i'd have with them is that they are TM!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

charlieIRL wrote: »
    It was an outdoor range alright.

Ye are saying all the wrong things!! €700 for new irons!!

If it makes you feel any better I paid €950 for new irons 2 years ago (9 clubs mind rather than some of these new sets that only start at 5 iron). Irons don't change dramatically technology wise so if they suit your posture and swing, appeal to your eye and you see yourself playing them for the next 10 years then it can be deemed an investment.

There is tremendous value available in the second hand market so it's not an easy decision but if you've saved long and hard for the irons then it can be a nice way to treat yourself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Cut them down, regrip and get the lies checked and shafts bent, if you're not going to play that often then that's just too much of an outlay.
    Sorry for the negative spin but I think that's the post you're looking for...:o

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

If it makes you feel any better I paid €950 for new irons 2 years ago (9 clubs mind rather than some of these new sets that only start at 5 iron). Irons don't change dramatically technology wise so if they suit your posture and swing, appeal to your eye and you see yourself playing them for the next 10 years then it can be deemed an investment.

There is tremendous value available in the second hand market so it's not an easy decision but if you've saved long and hard for the irons then it can be a nice way to treat yourself.

i'd agree with this, got myself some ap1's last year and see myself hopefully playing with these for a long time to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 digginz

or you can wait 6 month and get them for half the price

• Advertisement

Food for thought, thanks a million!!

I only got my current irons about 18 months ago and got them re-gripped late last year so would be loosing a lot selling them for €200. Apparently its not possible to get them bent.

I'll see how tomorrow goes and have a think about it tomorrow night.

BTW - i haven't been saving for new clubs and only went last night to see how well my clubs suited me. I know now that I should and probably will change them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Russman

Its both the upside and downside of custom fitting, you get to find out how good something is, but also you'll be convinced your own stuff isn't working !

Purely to play devils advocate, you need to ask yourself if your own clubs are holding you back and/or if upgrading will save you shots on the course. Maybe your own are "close enough" rather than miles off being a good fit for you.....?

Still, we all like shiny new things, and the confidence from "knowing" your clubs fit you could be huge and hard to quantify. I know if I hit clubs at a demo and they were performing way better than my own (hitting them side by side) I'd be verrrry tempted to change and probably would in the end. If for no other reason than I'd always be wondering every time I hit a bad shot "...would that have been better with the other clubs ?....."

The choice is yours..........:):)

Russman wrote: »
    .... than I'd always be wondering every time I hit a bad shot "...would that have been better with the other clubs ?....."

The choice is yours..........:):)

ahhh gee thanks Russman!!! Head fried now!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

slave1 wrote: »
    Cut them down, regrip and get the lies checked and shafts bent, if you're not going to play that often then that's just too much of an outlay.
    Sorry for the negative spin but I think that's the post you're looking for...:o

???:confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

Change them you know you want to..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Macker1

slingerz wrote: »
    only problem i'd have with them is that they are TM!

Any particular reasons....... Just curious

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

slave1 wrote: »

Do irons need to be forged though to go at this craic??
    Lie off in my own cast irons

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

fearruanua wrote: »
    Do irons need to be forged though to go at this craic??
    Lie off in my own cast irons

No, all irons can be adjusted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

Why do you think that you were hitting them better than your old ones? Longer, straighter, lower, higher?

Be careful if they went further. Check the lofts of your old irons compared to these ones. Stronger lofts may mean that a 5 iron is the lowest loft that you can hit and you may find that you need an extra wedge to bridge a gap.

• Advertisement

stockdam wrote: »
    Why do you think that you were hitting them better than your old ones? Longer, straighter, lower, higher?

Be careful if they went further. Check the lofts of your old irons compared to these ones. Stronger lofts may mean that a 5 iron is the lowest loft that you can hit and you may find that you need an extra wedge to bridge a gap.

More consistent was the main thing, every single shot. Better launch angle as well.

I'll have the full stats over the weekend and will post them to see what ye think.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Ah the auld shiny new clubs will solve everything approach, works every time except the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

35pts today imagine what you would have had if u knew exactly where your ball was going +/-9meters 😛 no question about it if u wanna make Ryder jug team you may buy them...wgolf before horses :)

shaunac93 wrote: »
    35pts today imagine what you would have had if u knew exactly where your ball was going +/-9meters 😛 no question about it if u wanna make Ryder jug team you may buy them...wgolf before horses :)

Haha, as if my head wasn't fried enough!! Was gonna place the order on the way home!!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dossy

Go away and buy them. I personally think with the irons and putter for how much you use them i buy them new.
    How long do you have the burners?
    How long will you have the RSI irons?
    They will be custom for you....
    Nice treat aswell

At the end of the day you probably have your mind made up or close too before ever posting this. Go with that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,339 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I dont know how you didnt make the purchase order on the day of the fitting. I've never seen you hit irons so good in all my life!

If i had the cash, I probably would have ordered mine as well tbf

Rikand wrote: »
    I dont know how you didnt make the purchase order on the day of the fitting. I've never seen you hit irons so good in all my life!

If i had the cash, I probably would have ordered mine as well tbf

Still waiting on the price!! He told me he'd ring me today!!

:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Presume you just got them? If so well done on getting past the missus!

• Advertisement

Barnaboy wrote: »
    Presume you just got them? If so well done on getting past the missus!

No.. .....not yet. Should be here next week all going well.

Missus?!! She still thinks I'm using the first set I got years ago!! 4 sets later and she still hasn't noticed!! There's at least 2 spare drivers, 2 sets of irons, few putters, at least 3 bags in the kids playroom not to mention the ones in the shed!! She's no interest in them so I don't burden her with info on new clubs, bags, shoes, trollies, GPS, etc!!!!!

Advertisement