Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Recording & Fraps

• 18-11-2011 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭

Hey folks

Wanted to give making 'Lets Play' videos a try. So decided to use my first one using FRAPS.

I'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to these things so I guess just a little confused what to do next.

I recorded my first episode but the thing is that the video broke into 3 files and they were each about 4GB's each! (and only about 4 minutes long per file?)

I just wanted to know what type of converter program and video file type I should use to decrease the file size while keep the quality decent? Or at least the options that may help on FRAPS

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Hmm I think I may have found the right program to use :)

Just wondering what the cap is for video length on youtube that you can upload? (or for the non-youtube partner plebs like myself :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I recorded my first episode but the thing is that the video broke into 3 files and they were each about 4GB's each! (and only about 4 minutes long per file?)

I just wanted to know what type of converter program and video file type I should use to decrease the file size while keep the quality decent? Or at least the options that may help on FRAPS

That's standard behaviour for FRAPS. Just edit them together in Movie Maker, Vegas or whatnot. The size will drop dramatically when you edit them together and render them to a single video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Hmm I think I may have found the right program to use :)

Just wondering what the cap is for video length on youtube that you can upload? (or for the non-youtube partner plebs like myself :p)
    What Chris said..

Also, you should be able to upload up to 15 minutes... Go to the YouTube upload page and it will tell you at the top if you can upload longer than that!"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is it worth paying to get the full version of fraps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Very much so... Unless of course, you like pirates

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Tallon wrote: »

well I have the cash spare so I think I'll support them :)

Depends on whether or not your system would get more out of using DXtory instead.

TheChrisD wrote: »
    DXtory instead.

whats that? would I need a high end system?

It's another game recording program. I had used FRAPS for a couple of years but after switching to DXtory I find it a lot better.

System-wise, the only thing that you really need is a very large and fast hard drive array. DXtory, can record in full size, max quality, spread over multiple hard drives without having as much of an effect on your CPU as FRAPS does. Oh, and it can save it all to one file as well ;)

There are a lot more customisation options for the program as well compared to those that FRAPS offers.

Now I'm not saying FRAPS is bad at all, I still use it sometimes - mainly since it can record my desktop whereas DXtory can't.

how much is DXtory?I can't see it on there website?

• Advertisement

It was ¥3600 when I bought it, which at the time converted to €33.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 TheGunRunner

Tallon wrote: »

Pirates are good :-) (except when downloading gta iv takes 4 hours and doubles internet bill) not that I would do such a thing

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

I record at a Res of 3840x1080 using fraps (1080p per eye, 3D).. i then join all the videos together (25 mins) with Boilsoft Video Joiner.. After that i convert the video to Mp4 (mainly bcuz the raw files are 50GB per 25 mins).. to a 1920 x 1080 (1080p) it usually comes to 600Mb...

After that i upload it to youtube.. (and wait forever on my slow *** connection lol)..

Here's my first.. Mics pretty low :)

If you go to 3D > No Glasses > Left side/Right side.. you can watch in 2D

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

I've fixed the mic volume since part 4 (1 - 4 was one session).. now it's about the same level as the game.. but i don't talk during cut scenes anyway..

Yes the raw file size is massive, about 4GB per 90 sec .. which comes up to about 56GB per 25 min video..

I chose Mp4 (libx264, 3200k /s & libfaac, 96k) bcuz it gave me a massive reduction is size and kept the video close to it's quality.. it's about 600Mb.

Here's a few screens (from Vlc, bare in mind it's scaled to 1080p as it's in full screen).

Original Avi:

vlcsnap2012021119h08m56.th.png

Mp4:

thumbnmail.pngthumbnmail.pngvlcsnap2012021119h09m24.th.png

I'm playing at 1080p but since it's in 3D it's generating the image twice and overlapping... fraps captures both images side by side tho..

I'm gonna have a look into F4V and see if it produces better results..

Unfortunately down here in the southwest big meg broadband isn't available.. i on a 4Mb connect down and 1Mb up... and it's basically the same price (if not more) as half the 20 Meg connection in the cities or abroad.. robbery..
    RopeDrink wrote: »
    Seperate tip, try turning the game volume down if you're doing commentary, can't hear a word you're saying.

Visually it doesn't seem worth the effort what you're doing though that may be the whole 3D thing. If I just click to watch it on the actual YouTube page it doesn't look good at all - Makes it look like you recorded on 800x600 THEN ballooned it up into a bigger resolution, pixels everywhere. EDIT: I take that back, looks nice at 1080p but seems to be way too much hassle when you could achieve the same results through easier means. Are you playing at that 3k+ Res? Seems very excessive and having to record at that res means monstrously disgusting huge files, must be about 4gigs per 25seconds... I squeeze out 55-60seconds per 4gigs at 1920x1080 - No wonder your compression takes forever :(

MP4... I never use it... F4V (H.264 codec) is what I use, compresses it nice and small (Setting dependant) and the quality is suprisingly good despite being quite a fast job.

Latest vid is an SF4 vid, a 4 game casual set with a mate. If I watch at 1080p (1920x1080) it literally almost looks exactly how it does when you're playing the game - You physically have to be looking for quality defects to see them.

Only issue with that is the defects are very noticeable when watching on anything other than it's true resolution, but still very watchable - The filzesizes are also moderate, as opposed to small, so slow connections will suffer...

But let's face it, who hasn't got big meg broadband at this stage in time?

Advertisement