Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tara Mines derailment in North Wall

• 25-11-2015 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I've been searching for some chit chat about this incident after seeing the pictures on The Wanderer's Smugmug account but to no avail.
    Anyone know what happened or what the cause was?
    Was there any disruption to traffic in or out of the yard?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Looking at where the wagons derailed I'd say it did cause some head aches as it's near the bottleneck access points down to Alexandra Road.

A tara mins train derailed about 5 years ago on the northern main due to part of one of the wagon bogies failing, this cause the rails to spread cause the trailing wagons to derail also but the train was laden when this happened, I think the case in northwall was with empty wagons.

The point may have moved as the train was going over them as they are manual points at the location and it's common to let train to push through them instead of manually changing them all the time. I don't believe that's good practice in day to day ops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

The incident is no doubt under investigation by the RAIU and full details of the cause will become known in the fullness of time.

Advertisement