Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LBC Radio Megathread

Options
  • 11-06-2012 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭

Great to hear Clive Bull back on LBC last night.
    However I missed the end of the show, and just want to ask if anyone knows if it weekends only or is he back full time, or was last night a once off.
    I always looked forward to his shows. he is a true radio professional. :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

sundays only, but have to say antony davis in hes place week nights has grown on me now. ian collins dose fri sat evenings now from 7 before nick abbot whos great too. good to listen to proper talk phone in shows that isnt full of doom and gloom that we hear on irish stations atm

• Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

from LBC website:

Clive Bull

London's Late Night Legend Clive Bull is back on LBC 97.3.

16502.jpg After taking a short break from the station after 25 years, Clive is back, presenting a three-hour show every Sunday evening from 7-10pm.

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

Thanks for the replies.
    Clive Bull is one of the best talk show presenters.

I can never understand as to why Newstalk have never put on a show similiar to Clive Bull on LBC 97.3.

I know that 4FM have a late night talk show, which seems to be appealing to the lowest common dominator, but a show like Clive's would be great.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭More Music

LBC currently stands for "London's Biggest conversation". It will change to "Leading Britain's Conversation".

Wonder if staff/presenters get more money now that they'll have a much bigger audience?

I'd like to see a talk station like that here.

http://www.lbc.co.uk/lbc-to-go-national-as-uks-first-news-talk-station-85193

Just because it's JNLR time, here's some recent RAJAR info for LBC.

It broadcasts to one city and it has higher reach than any station here in the country (nationals included). Obviously because of population.

TSA:
    This radio station broadcast to a total survey area of 11,703,000 adults (aged 15+).

Reach:
    It was listened to by 1,073,000 people (9.0%) each week.

Hours:
    Each listener tuned in for 10.2 hours per week - a total of 10,933,000.

Share:
    In its area, it had a 5.3% market share.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

Pity Newstalk is only quasi national rather than national.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    Pity Newstalk is only quasi national rather than national.

Very, very few places you can't get it - careful frequency planning and use of mono has extended coverage beyond what you'd expect.

"National" FM stations in the Netherlands often have about 60% coverage, in a very flat country, so Newstalk's coverage is well, well beyond that.

I listen every night via freesat. I hope it dosent change too much I like its focus on london. Ni ck abbot is one of the wittyest guys on radio. Antony davis was good on weeknights but gone onto smooth fm. Duncon barks is on now instead and the show has become more political maybe this is the future of lbc a serious talk station it was more light hearted before. It was whilst I had ask nick on thursday morning when news broke of expansion via dab.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

MYOB wrote: »
    Very, very few places you can't get it - careful frequency planning and use of mono has extended coverage beyond what you'd expect.

"National" FM stations in the Netherlands often have about 60% coverage, in a very flat country, so Newstalk's coverage is well, well beyond that.

Doesn't get into NI much unfortunately. Something on Clermont Cairn and Kippure would improve things considerably, but there doesn't seem to be any sign of that happening any time soon.

LBC did originally stand for London Broadcasting Corporation so "London's Biggest Conversation" is really just a snappy slogan.

Still, it'll be good to have an alternative to 5 Live. Talksport was quite good before it went 100% sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Doing a search for Nick Abbot here on boards reveals he has a few fans. Well he's back on LBC every morning 1am to 4am weekdays.

I've only recently started listening to him. I think he's an utter gem of a presenter. Seems he's been around for years but I'd never heard of him until recently. The show is a political phone in with a dollop of satire. Love him.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

he's absolutely brilliant. however i believe he is only covering for a bit. more to the pity. it would be nice to have him on full time but i think he doesn't wish to be full time now. and it means his show will never get boaring (it probably wouldn't be anyway) . friday and saturday 10 AM to 1 AM is his regular show.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

Only covering ? oh no , but thanks for correcting my kinda mis-information. I wonder what hes does the rest of time :D

Listening to him now I record him on my freesat box. Hes been doing lots of overnights in the last 3 weeks. Great show always.

vince wrote: »
    Listening to him now I record him on my freesat box. Hes been doing lots of overnights in the last 3 weeks. Great show always.

Yeah it's great you can get LBC on the satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Happened upon him and thought he was hilarious . Phone in type of thing about all sorts.
    Definitely worth a listen,10.00-13.00 weekdays presumably.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

kneemos wrote: »
    Happened upon him and thought he was hilarious . Phone in type of thing about all sorts.

It's the guy before him I listen to Nick Ferrari http://www.lbc.co.uk/nick-ferrari-110688

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

completely agree. brilliant show

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

The whole station is superb, with very few exceptions.

The legend that is Nick Abbot is on 10pm-1am this week standing in for the also excellent Ian Collins.

And their 4-8pm guy, Ian Dale, has only been on radio for about 4 years, he is so, so good.

Radio of a standard that pisses all over anything you'll hear in Ireland, I'm afraid to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭More Music

LBC is an excellent station, been listening regularly for years.

Not sure it pisses over all Irish radio though.

What's it counterpart here? Newstalk is about the only station with a similar format. It does piss over that, but that's all really.

Nick Abbot is ok but needs to keep his SFX hotkeys in check.

Collins is excellent, but of course he always has been. Even in his Talk Sport days.

Love LBC dislike JoB

Love LBC dislike JoB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

vince wrote: »
    Love LBC dislike JoB

IMHO he's very boring.

Give me Clive Bull any day.

I miss Robbie Vincent.

Clive bull nick abbott ian colllins petri hoskins ken and dave nick ferrari all good shows . JoB repats himself to ofton and likes the sound of hes own voice.

Greenman wrote: »
    IMHO he's very boring.

Give me Clive Bull any day.

I miss Robbie Vincent.

His question and answer thing on Thursday is comedy gold.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 Realist2

I find James O'Brian very annoying, a bit of a waffler, LBC is a great station, I've been listening for years, it won station of the year in England, I love Nick Abbot, he is so funny and Steve Allan in the morning is hilarious, He's on from 4-7, i would literally be laughing out loud on the bus to work, he doesn't take callers, Just comments on story's in the morning papers, usually taking the Mick out of celebrities, hes definitely in the top 5 all time radio DJs i ever heard. I prefer Talksport though, in general the radio stations in England are miles better than in Ireland, i was wondering does anyone know is there a radio i could buy where i could listen to all these English stations in Ireland?

Realist2 wrote: »
    I find James O'Brian very annoying, a bit of a waffler, LBC is a great station, I've been listening for years, it won station of the year in England, I love Nick Abbot, he is so funny and Steve Allan in the morning is hilarious, He's on from 4-7, i would literally be laughing out loud on the bus to work, he doesn't take callers, Just comments on story's in the morning papers, usually taking the Mick out of celebrities, hes definitely in the top 5 all time radio DJs i ever heard. I prefer Talksport though, in general the radio stations in England are miles better than in Ireland, i was wondering does anyone know is there a radio i could buy where i could listen to all these English stations in Ireland?

I hear Allen occasionally,very good.

An internet radio is your man I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

Clive Bull is fantastic. Really enjoy his shows.
    As for Steve Allen, yes he does take the pee out of Celebs.
    Also a good show

All their presenters are good, with the possible exception of the bloke that does 1-5 sat and sun mornings.

Nick Ferrari at Breakfast: quick, incisive, funny when he needs to be. Tabloid, but intelligent with it. He packs a lot into each hour.
    James O'Brien: very intelligent, very quick. Very opinionated, easy to disagree with but great listening.
    Sheila Fogarty at 1pm: good afternoon content.
    Ian Dale at Drive: stunningly good. Highly intelligent, very personable. Indulges in good arguments with callers sometimes.
    Clive Bull: relaxing, clever, excellent technique with callers.
    Ian Collins (10pm): mischievous, clever, provocative.
    (The legendary Nick Abbot standing in for him this week, superb radio)
    Steve Allen 4-7:30am: unique!
    Weekends not quite as universally excellent, breakfasts are good, David and Ken on Saturday mornings are good.

Tribute must also be paid to the producers of each show, and the call handlers. They all know how to do really good radio.

Far better than anything you'll hear in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

My favouite LBC presenter was Brian Hayes who presented the morning phone-in,
    he did not suffer fools but was always very well prepared.
    George Gale preceeded him. The Private Eye character Lunchtime O'Booze was based on George, which maybe is why when GG was moved to an afternoon slot the programme was not a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭antonymin

great phone-in station and worth a listen. My radios are permanently tuned to this station. It's on FM, DAB and worldwide on the net. Give it a whirl. OK, it's a London based station but the callers are from all over the world.

• Advertisement

Me too. It's superb. There are many presenters and a couple of stations here that could learn a lot by listening to LBC.

Advertisement