Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coal / solid state fuel bargains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

jambofc wrote: »
    got this today(offer will be extended i was told) decent heat but burns very quick,has briquette nuggets in it.

in Trim i go to A&B hire and get the €14 euro bags,good coal but sometimes very large pieces.

Where's that? I normally go to that place about a mile outside Trim, on the left on The Dublin Road, 14.50 for 40kg of Polish. Burns fine too, lady there said they sometimes have offers (5 for price of 4) in November so will have to ring them.

Will post here if they do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Anybody in the Carlow area can get details of the solid fuel offers here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056777151

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

scudzilla wrote: »
    Where's that? I normally go to that place about a mile outside Trim, on the left on The Dublin Road, 14.50 for 40kg of Polish. Burns fine too, lady there said they sometimes have offers (5 for price of 4) in November so will have to ring them.

Will post here if they do

its in the eamon duggan ind on the Athboy road beside trimfold,they have cheaper coal also but not as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭bewhiched

Any fuel deals in drogheda does any one know thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭deckycoop

Hi sorry this mite be of topic but wat is coal slack. Is it safe to use in open fires and at 6euro for 20kg is tat good value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

The logs in Aldi are 35% water content. Wasted my money buying a bag of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

deckycoop wrote: »
    Hi sorry this mite be of topic but wat is coal slack. Is it safe to use in open fires and at 6euro for 20kg is tat good value.

slack is all the dust and very very small pieces of coal,it is only used when you have a hot fire going to put on top,it's like what you have at the end of your coal bucket after it's been filled and emptied a few times.

jambofc wrote: »

slack is all the dust and very very small pieces of coal,it is only used when you have a hot fire going to put on top,it's like what you have at the end of your coal bucket after it's been filled and emptied a few times.
    So its no good really for a fire then..

So its no good really for a fire then..

I think you put it on the fire after it has matured to keep it cosy & burn longer

Rite well i.ll get myself a bag and tell you wat my result was

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

jameshayes wrote: »

Its actually moisture content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

paddy147 wrote: »
    Its actually moisture content.

And moisture is............suspended water!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭enricoh

in drogheda try king coal 5 bags delivered 70 yoyo and its excellent, at the border at culloville hoey fuels sell bags for 10 yoyo not as good but better than the 'house' crap. only pays to go up if your going up anyway or using the company cars juice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

The bord na mona polish doubles I've burned for the last few years seem poorer quality this year the stuff is filthy.

I'm changing to Arigna Ecobrite its more expensive per kg but the calorific value is higher - 32MJ/kg versus 26-28MJ for polish coal so that offset the price a little.

I get ecobrite at connacht gold in athleague for 15.65 / 40kg its 15.90 in Wards roscommon so not worth the petrol to athleague if you're passing there.

The equivalent energy price to polish medium/large size coal is (28/32) x 15.65 = 13.69
    Small size cheap polish coals are lower again 20-22MJ/kg so equivalent is (22/32) x 15.65 = 10.76
    BNM Briquettes are 17.7-19MJ/kg so eqquivalent is (19/32) x 15.65 = 9.29

So you're really not saving much if anything buying the bituminous stuff, if you factor in sweeping the chimney twice as often you might be paying more if you're not a diyer.

Is harder to start burning needs more air but once its going the stove and glass stay spotless and the ash content is only 4%.

Should have listened to my neighbour 3 years ago when he recommended it.

[edit]It also keeps the fire overnight no problem, I had to use briquettes to keep the fire with the polish stuff. Doesn't block the grate either. I'm sure there are other equivalents

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Dan82

paddyp wrote: »
    The bord na mona polish doubles I've burned for the last few years seem poorer quality this year the stuff is filthy.

I'm changing to Arigna Ecobrite its more expensive per kg but the calorific value is higher - 32MJ/kg versus 26-28MJ for polish coal so that offset the price a little.

I get ecobrite at connacht gold in athleague for 15.65 / 40kg its 15.90 in Wards roscommon so not worth the petrol to athleague if you're passing there.

The equivalent energy price to polish medium/large size coal is (28/32) x 15.65 = 13.69
    Small size cheap polish coals are lower again 20-22MJ/kg so equivalent is (22/32) x 15.65 = 10.76

So you're really not saving much if anything buying the bituminous stuff, if you factor in sweeping the chimney twice as often you might be paying more if you're not a diyer.

Is harder to start burning needs more air but once its going the stove and glass stay spotless and the ash content is only 4%.

Should have listened to my neighbour 3 years ago when he recommended it.

Can i get this anywhere in Kildare or Dublin guys, its what im looking for, great coal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Rite well i.ll get myself a bag and tell you wat my result was
    Its very good. We haVe an two open fires and a stove and use it regularly. Great for if you are going out for few hours, pack it up with this, it smolders for a few hours then lights up and giVes great heat out. Great for stove too. You wouldn't really use it for when you're planning to sit on front of fire as I said it just smolders for a while before starts throwing out any major heat

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Mates of mine have used http://firewooddublin.ie and happy with the service

Dan82 wrote: »
    Can i get this anywhere in Kildare or Dublin guys, its what im looking for, great coal

If you call them they'll tell you +353 7196 46002 definitely worth ringing around the suppliers it was between 16.70 and 15.65 in our area.

Where did you read this then?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

Zascar wrote: »
    Mates of mine have used http://firewooddublin.ie and happy with the service
    €12 for a 20kg bag of coal is dear

• Advertisement

casio4 wrote: »
    €12 for a 20kg bag of coal is dear

14 euro 50 cents for a 40kg bag of Polish Premium in most of the builders providers.;):)

paddy147 wrote: »
    Where did you read this then?

my water content meter told me

my water content meter told me

Thats fair enough.:)

I looked at a bag or Alio logs in Aldi today.

It didnt mention anything on them apart from being Irish logs and air dried.

The pallet of logs seemed very wet/damp to the touch,so maybe they had been left outdoors in the wet before being brought into the shop floor.

fella set up in the old cherry tree car park on the walkinstown roundabout selling 40kg bags for 17.50

I dont know if thats a bargain or not tho because i'm VERY new to buying coal - pic attached.

Place on the way into athlone selling polish doubles for 12.50... great value and good stuff...

Place on the way into athlone selling polish doubles for 12.50... great value and good stuff...

All road lead to 'lone :P which one would this be?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blured

horse7 wrote: »
    how much is the 40kg coal in the hardware in dunboyne?
    Friend of mine works there, it's 15.50 for 40kgs of the good Bord Na Mona stuff and if you buy 5 bags you get a 40kg slack free with it

• Registered Users Posts: 41 CottonMouth

Me too, between 35% & 40% water content so stuck with two useless bags of them.
    I cut trees a few months ago which already have a lower reading than that.

Aldi logs to be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭zenit

Aldi Heat Logs at €4.62 for a box of 10 at less than 10% moisture are very good. They work well in my stove but may not in an open fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 dan.inc

Any recommendations for Wicklow bargains?

Advertisement