Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

game of the week

• 28-09-2011 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

sorry if this was done before here as i know in the music thread they had an album of the week....but what about a game of the week..do a poll or whatever...could be a bit of craic..do a high score for the week as well..people could post up a screenshot of their score...again sorry if this was done before

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,391 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

We do have a high score thread, but a thread structured the same way as album of the week would be really interesting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The film of the week thread turned into a complete farce a few years ago. Not sure it will work here either.

Master of the Universe

Is it just my imagination or were there some lunatics reregging simply to vote twice in the album of the week thread?

What happened in the film one?

I dunno, I don't think we're idiotic enough here to muck up such a simple concept.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah that happened with film of the week. Other problem was it got boring with all the mainstream stuff getting nominated.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭gymman39

ok i would only have a few hrs a week playing due to work ,family etc so if a game was on here as game of the week i would play it and test myself against others for a bit of craic..i see where u are coming from with people messing and reposting..but i dont think it would happen here

• Advertisement

Well it's worth a try.

Master of the Universe

I know what you mean about the popular vote one, and that would indeed be annoying.

To stop things like Halo and that getting it, we could have a generation limit. Say nothing post 16 or 32 bit should keep the nominations interesting enough.

that sounds good..

But the dreamcast and N64 :(

Master of the Universe

The n64? But then you'll have 'Goldeneye' week. As interesting as your posts can be, if I have to hear you rant about that game one more time....:pac:

• Advertisement

I'm not even close to finished.

so what would be involved setting this up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭DickyC

o1s1n wrote: »

To stop things like Halo and that getting it, we could have a generation limit. Say nothing post 16 or 32 bit should keep the nominations interesting enough.

I think that would be a good cut cut off point, there are plenty of great games on 32 bit systems that would be a crime to leave out. As much as I respect the power of the current generation of hardware there is no place for it in a arcade and retro forum games list, except for rez hd and ikaruga on xbox arcadepacman.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

How about people can put their names forward. We randomize them into a list and when your name comes up in order you get to choose the game of the week for that week and we all discuss it?

Could feed into the podcast we want to do as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

DinoRex wrote: »
    How about people can put their names forward. We randomize them into a list and when your name comes up in order you get to choose the game of the week for that week and we all discuss it?

I like it!
    /goes off to find more games that cursed my bastard childhood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mr Vengeance

o1s1n wrote: »
    I know what you mean about the popular vote one, and that would indeed be annoying.

:mad:

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Not as stupid as you look!1:pac::pac:

Great idea put my name in and make sure I win ..

The whole exercise is pointless though.

Everyone one knows that Dinorex is the game of the week EVERY WEEK!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sounds good.

I'm in as are my friends JohnUlt, UltimateJohnny, JonnyJonJonUltimate, PopeJohnPaulUltimate and my brother FredUltimate.

That whole film of the week thing was really beyond a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

That whole film of the week thing was really beyond a joke.

Was it just because of the re-reg thing? or was it something?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Was it just because of the re-reg thing? or was it something?

Yeah. It was before my modding days, so I don't know all the details, but there was at least one person re-registering like five or six times just to vote. It boggles the mind that anyone would care anywhere near enough to do it.

That said, when they changed it to a random poster choice, the variety of films and discourse became much more interesting. Not sure why it stopped after that, but meant more than just Alien got voted in.

Me likes DinoRex's idea.

Also does anyone know if the microsoft livecams are any good? they seem cheap in tesco's and could sort my microphone problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭da gamer

hi forum members,
    id be very interested in joining you guys in this if that would be possible. it sounds like a great idea. thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

Me likey Dinorex' idea. Count me in so

List so far:

batari
    da gamer
    Retr0gamer
    johnny_ultimate
    pdbhp
    Mega Chin
    DinoRex

Copy the list and add your name and repost if you want on board...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Just to confirm, are we just using single games or can we use a series?

Mega Chin wrote: »
    Just to confirm, are we just using single games or can we use a series?

I suppose you could go with a series, and possibly particularly highlight your favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Boulder Dash

Game of the Week
    Game of the Month
    Game of the Year
    Game of the Century
    Game of the Millennium

Thread can be locked now:D

Think single game is better. You'd be taking the piss saying somehting like final fantasy or something since they are all pretty much unique.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

List so far:

batari
    da gamer
    Retr0gamer
    johnny_ultimate
    pdbhp
    Mega Chin
    DinoRex
    Sera

Copy the list and add your name and repost if you want on board...
    added to the list

Advertisement