Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE Genealogy Roadshow

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,188 ✭✭✭jos28

Bit annoying that they didn't complete the Argentina story. No mention of what happened to the husband and other children :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Yes, I noticed that too. My mum said, "Is that where you go?"

It bloody well is not :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Hello Derek, thanks for allowing me on your show.. I want to see if I can track down the b*stard that christened me Turtle Bunbury.. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

It's quite a slick production to be fair.. The screens with the videos, graphical presentations, skype calls. It's edited as well to keep a good pace...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Turtle is just a nickname.

Why are the family trees they show so small? I'm straining to read them properly.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭The Kurgan

jos28 wrote: »
    Bit annoying that they didn't complete the Argentina story. No mention of what happened to the husband and other children :(

Totally agree, I have been tracing ancestors who left from Wexford to Buenos Aires & then returned back in the 1890's .
    Was hoping they might go into a little more detail apart from mentioning the Dresden Affair . I suppose they have a lot of stories to fit into an Episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,188 ✭✭✭jos28

The Kurgan wrote: »
    Totally agree, I have been tracing ancestors who left from Wexford to Buenos Aires & then returned back in the 1890's .
    Was hoping they might go into a little more detail apart from mentioning the Dresden Affair . I suppose they have a lot of stories to fit into an Episode.

I know they gave to edit the programme into 1 hour but they could have given a brief mention about them or even given details to help people like yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

They have a new Facebook page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

jos28 wrote: »
    I know they gave to edit the programme into 1 hour but they could have given a brief mention about them or even given details to help people like yourself.

But it’s not about genealogy, it is about ‘gen-tainment’ with some voyeurism thrown in for spice. A bit like taking a peek at somebody’s diary, or poking around inside their family. It’s the same with TV cookery programmes, nothing to do with teaching cookery or learning about method or ingredients, they are ‘menu-tainment’ with pretty people and cleavage. Compare Nigella to Julia Child.:), one can really cook, the other is more for .....

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭hjr

As someone who's been doing their family tree for over two years, and been on this forum for most of that time, my biggest shock on the programme was finding out that the word is pronounced GeneAlogy...! I've always presumed and pronounced it GeneOlogy.... :(

For shame....

And me a supposed intelligent individual!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

hjr wrote: »
    As someone who's been doing their family tree for over two years, and been on this forum for most of that time, my biggest shock on the programme was finding out that the word is pronounced GeneAlogy...! I've always presumed and pronounced it GeneOlogy.... :(

For shame....

And me a supposed intelligent individual!

Meh.

Tomato, oregano, genealogy. I pronounce it the same way as you do; people know what you mean.

People do say both.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

pinkypinky wrote: »
    So weird. Turtle Bunbury went to Joyce House to get Maria Ball's great-grandmother's death cert!! I thought this was only filmed a few months ago. I guess Werburgh St doesn't look good enough on camera. But that's really misleading for anyone watching who doesn't know better.

The Cork one (on next week) was filmed April/May 2013 from memory, so I imagine that piece was filmed before the opening of Werburgh St.

Really? It was filmed a whole year ago? Wow.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

10271636_1425498527714240_3914851970505471401_n.jpg

"...our ancestry SWAT team..."

They do know SWAT is Special Weapons And Tactics, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Quote: "Illegal adoptions in 1930's Ireland"

That is going to get a lot of people's hopes up. I doubt there is much information they can get really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

(Mod's feel free to delete if this has been posted already)

Just saw this on RTE's Website http://www.rte.ie/tv/audienceparticipation/thegenealogyroadshow.html
    Perhaps you have always wondered whether one of your relations was involved in a dramatic part of local or national history? Perhaps you need help tracing a missing branch of the family. Maybe you have a mysterious family document or an heirloom that you just can't explain. If there is any kind of mystery in your family tree, then the team of experts can help you solve it.

Tell them the story and they will search for the evidence.

People who are interested in finding out more should contact genealogy@bigmountainproductions.com or call Ciara on 04830834046
    Visit www.bigmountainproductions.com for a form today.

Advertisement