Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Taking Sky on Holidays

• 08-07-2005 8:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Hi

I am off on holidays to France and were I am renting has a sky + box. I would imagine that it will be just with a FTV card. I was thinking of bringing my own card with me (also sky +) , what would I need to know to transfer my card for the two weeks and will sky do it.

Thanks for your help

Mick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭dkane

If you have a dish pointing at Astra on your palce in france all you need to do is pack your digibox and card and plug it into the sat when you get there. You do need your box as your card is paired with that particular box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 mickmc

Thanks Dkane but the place has a sky box already (i just want to bring the card) can I get it paired for 2 weeks and if so what info do I need

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

How about you do stuff on your holiday and don't stay in and watch sky all day?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

How about you learn to compress to jpegs, noob

Sky won't do this for you.

The problem (or at least one of the problems) is that the package you are subscribed to with Sky is intended for use in Ireland only. The reason for this is that certain stations, i.e. RTE, TV3 and TG4 only have licences to broadcast to Ireland. This is why a UK sub to sky will not include the Irish stations.

The only way around it is to bring the box. That way your Irish card is in its box and Sky therefore think that you are in Ireland so you get your Irish channels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

When my Sky+ box broke, I got a 2nd box and rang Sky call center. Said I'd just switched boxes and they just asked for my card number and new box number. Didn't ask any other questions, so it should be possible to ring them once you're there and say it's a replacement box.

When you come back you'll have to do the same, but there should be no hassle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

He will need an inflatable dish otherwise ! :)

Dish-France.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

mickmc wrote:
    Hi

I am off on holidays to France and were I am renting has a sky + box. I would imagine that it will be just with a FTV card. I was thinking of bringing my own card with me (also sky +) , what would I need to know to transfer my card for the two weeks and will sky do it.

Thanks for your help

Mick

You need the version and serial number of the box and your card must be in the box when u make the call, you should hide your caller ID. Sky will do it if you come up with a decent reason for changing boxes.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

But will they change it back to the old box after 2 weeks??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭JohnC.

With all this phoning to get the card/box combo changed and then doing it again in 2 weeks and them possibly getting suspicious, I would think it would probably be easier to just pack your own box and use that instead of the one in the house.

• Advertisement
Advertisement