Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AvantCard - MBNA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nadalm

ncmc wrote: »
    The account details for Avant Card are the same as MBNA, so you're payment should go through ok. I paid via EFT a couple of weeks ago and it went through.

The lack of recent and pending transactions is beyond a joke at this stage, how long does it take to get this sorted, it's going on weeks at this stage.

Will be changing credit card providers ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

nadalm wrote: »
    Will be changing credit card providers ASAP.
    The problem is that the credit limit offered by all the other credit card issuers is likely to be substantially lower than Avant card offer. I am with BOI for 15 years and they were only offering me a credit limit of €1000! Also, a lot of the credit cards currently available have a very high APR rate.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I applied for a BOI card recently. Without requesting it for any transfers it arrived with a 5k limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭listermint

ncmc wrote: »
    The problem is that the credit limit offered by all the other credit card issuers is likely to be substantially lower than Avant card offer. I am with BOI for 15 years and they were only offering me a credit limit of €1000! Also, a lot of the credit cards currently available have a very high APR rate.

Depends on individual circumstance, not 'the market' as such.

You may have loans out with them etc etc. which would impact your liability as far as they are concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

KoolKid wrote: »
    I applied for a BOI card recently. Without requesting it for any transfers it arrived with a 5k limit.
    Moneybags :D
    listermint wrote: »
    Depends on individual circumstance, not 'the market' as such.

You may have loans out with them etc etc. which would impact your liability as far as they are concerned.
    I think as a whole, companies are cutting the credit limit offered on unsecured debt massively. I think being offered a €5k credit limit is the exception rather than the rule these days.

I used to have a credit card with BOI with a €4k credit limit, I would have had a car loan at the time and would have been earning less. Now, I have no loans, a small balance to transfer and am earning more and they are offering me €1500 (typo earlier when I wrote €1000)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Anybody know when the recent transactions will go live?
    My balance is all over the place and showing way way more than I know I owe!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭SteM

kceire wrote: »
    Anybody know when the recent transactions will go live?
    My balance is all over the place and showing way way more than I know I owe!

I was told that they'd be live be the end of the week by a CS rep earlier this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

What a shambles.
    They called me 3 weeks ago to say that my card had been "compromised" and to cut it up - new one in a couple of weeks.
    Now I can't see my recent transactions, my balance is way higher than it should be - I guess someone had good fun with the "Compromise" - and I've had no card for 3 weeks.
    What's with these finance houses - their ability to recover from IT issues takes more time than some species spend evolving!!

And speaking of moving - I'd move from this shambles in the morning if it weren't for the aforementioned new limits being offered. I've a massive limit with MBNA, and though I don't go within ten miles of it I want to keep it ...... don't ask me why ....... I just do!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

lanod2407 wrote: »
    What a shambles.
    They called me 3 weeks ago to say that my card had been "compromised" and to cut it up - new one in a couple of weeks.
    Now I can't see my recent transactions, my balance is way higher than it should be - I guess someone had good fun with the "Compromise" - and I've had no card for 3 weeks.
    What's with these finance houses - their ability to recover from IT issues takes more time than some species spend evolving!!

And speaking of moving - I'd move from this shambles in the morning if it weren't for the aforementioned new limits being offered. I've a massive limit with MBNA, and though I don't go within ten miles of it I want to keep it ...... don't ask me why ....... I just do!

I would have thought that the combination of "massive limit" and "compromised card" would form the basis of an alternative course of action.
    I once heard from a techie that when these outfits try to merge their different IT departments that the systems are held together by prayer more than anything else!
    Comforting thought isn't it?
    What a time for you to be dealing with an outfit with which communication seems to be so poor.
    Big difference from MBNA days when everybody was bright and snappy and happy.
    I presume we are dealing with the same people, but certainly not happy campers.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

ainiseoir wrote: »
    I would have thought that the combination of "massive limit" and "compromised card" would form the basis of an alternative course of action.

I guess I would if I was liable for the theft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I have an agreement to pay back my CC balance for the last year. I havent missed a payment.

I got a letter today to say agreement is over and they will sell my debt. No answer when I call.

Also received a CC bill from Avantcard for my deceased grandmother.

They seem to be a bit of a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Play Bunny

Im now logging in thru "forgotten password" option, thanks to a user here....paid €350 off it in p.o on wed gone off it already, bit annoyed i can't view transactions :(

Does any 1 know if we have been billed the €30 gov tax? Dunno what's gone on card, works in shops anywho

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Play Bunny wrote: »

Does any 1 know if we have been billed the €30 gov tax? Dunno what's gone on card, works in shops anywho

Yes was billed on the 1st of April

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

ainiseoir wrote: »
    Big difference from MBNA days when everybody was bright and snappy and happy.
    I presume we are dealing with the same people, but certainly not happy campers.

I'd say they're at their wits end with calls from justifiably angry customers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

I got my statement from them today and there is a FINANCE CHARGE of 44.84 on it. Will ring them in morning to find out what this is about as I am on a payment plan (with mbna) and have no charges or interest. And MBNA wrote to me in writing about my terms and conditions remaining the same. And AvantCard did the same. So really curious about this charge and if it's going to be a recurring charge. At least they stuck to the fixed payment I make every month and charged no interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bb12

Flaccus wrote: »
    I got my statement from them today and there is a FINANCE CHARGE of 44.84 on it. Will ring them in morning to find out what this is about as I am on a payment plan (with mbna) and have no charges or interest. And MBNA wrote to me in writing about my terms and conditions remaining the same. And AvantCard did the same. So really curious about this charge and if it's going to be a recurring charge. At least they stuck to the fixed payment I make every month and charged no interest.

the finance charge is the interest charged on the balance.

But I'm on a fixed payment plan with ALL interest and charges suspended.
    I have this in writing from MBNA and a letter in writing from Avant to say my terms and conditions with MBNA will remain the same.

Does this mean they will be charging me interest every month. Because there is no way in hell I am paying it. The balance is over 9,000 euro so I would have thought that the Finance Charge might have been a once off passed on by Avant to the customer for taking over the account. Seems a bit low for interest.

Will ring tomorrow and try to find out. But not happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

But I'm on a fixed payment plan with ALL interest and charges suspended.
    I have this in writing from MBNA and a letter in writing from Avant to say my terms and conditions with MBNA will remain the same.

Does this mean they will be charging me interest every month. Because there is no way in hell I am paying it. The balance is over 9,000 euro so I would have thought that the Finance Charge might have been a once off passed on by Avant to the customer for taking over the account. Seems a bit low for interest.

Will ring tomorrow and try to find out. But not happy.

I am in the same boat as you with a similar balance. I will follow how you get on with interest (!).

I called today but I even though the lines were open the 'call back during opening hours' message was playing.

I can actually say MBNA were fine to deal with when I was seriously in arrears, pity this lot had to come along and throw all that out the window.

I will post back in the morning. They are open from 8am till 2pm.

Hopefully they will reverse the charge. If they say its a charge on my balance I will explain how my interest and charges are suspended and that I have a letter from them advising nothing is changing with Avant with regards to this. If no satisfaction I will follow their complaints procedure, which is basically ring customer service, then talk to supervisor, then contact their office in writing and finally the ombudsman.

http://www.avantcard.ie/Pages/How_to_make_a_compliant.aspx

Just got off the phone with Avant Card.

1. Afer entering account number, date of birth, and selecting 0 to talk to customer service, was true immediately.

2. Spoke to Irish bloke, who took my account number, and asked 2 security questions. I explained about the FINANCE CHARGE on my very 1st statement, and that I am on an arrangement with MBNA for fixed payments with no interest and charges, plus I have a letter from MBNA and Avant verifying this will remain the same after the changeover.

3. And now the good news, he knew I was on an arrangement and the finance charge is interest on the balance as the other poster pointed out. However ihe confirmed it should NEVER has been applied as I have interest and charges waived over my arrangement. He apologised and said accounts that have had charges applied by mistake are being rectified this week and it will appear as a credit in next months statement

4. Because I no longer have an MBNA card (cut up), I can't register online and lots of customers are in this situation he said and customer service are feeding this back to management in the hope it will be rectified soon. But for now, no online for me.

5. He recommended the quickest way to pay is ring them Saturday morning beore 9am on 0818409511, and pay using Visa Debit. This is exactly what I did last month and rang them on Saturday 23rd, and looking at ths months statement, that payment is showing up on Monday 25th. So it takes 1 day max to go through and seems a lot faster then using post office or online bank transfer which with MBNA took 2 and 4 days respectively.

6. Note, the statement has a new account number which does not match my previous MBNA credit card number. He said this is unlikely of any importance, except if paying online via bank transfer where the reference number "may" need to be changed from the old credit card number to the new account number by myself. May look into this but as it takes considerably longer to pay online via transfer and my dates between payday and payment due are so close, making payment over the phone seems the fastest option going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Thraxen

Just got off the phone with Avant Card.

1. Afer entering account number, date of birth, and selecting 0 to talk to customer service, was true immediately.

2. Spoke to Irish bloke, who took my account number, and asked 2 security questions. I explained about the FINANCE CHARGE on my very 1st statement, and that I am on an arrangement with MBNA for fixed payments with no interest and charges, plus I have a letter from MBNA and Avant verifying this will remain the same after the changeover.

3. And now the good news, he knew I was on an arrangement and the finance charge is interest on the balance as the other poster pointed out. However ihe confirmed it should NEVER has been applied as I have interest and charges waived over my arrangement. He apologised and said accounts that have had charges applied by mistake are being rectified this week and it will appear as a credit in next months statement

4. Because I no longer have an MBNA card (cut up), I can't register online and lots of customers are in this situation he said and customer service are feeding this back to management in the hope it will be rectified soon. But for now, no online for me.

5. He recommended the quickest way to pay is ring them Saturday morning beore 9am on 0818409511, and pay using Visa Debit. This is exactly what I did last month and rang them on Saturday 23rd, and looking at ths months statement, that payment is showing up on Monday 25th. So it takes 1 day max to go through and seems a lot faster then using post office or online bank transfer which with MBNA took 2 and 4 days respectively.

6. Note, the statement has a new account number which does not match my previous MBNA credit card number. He said this is unlikely of any importance, except if paying online via bank transfer where the reference number "may" need to be changed from the old credit card number to the new account number by myself. May look into this but as it takes considerably longer to pay online via transfer and my dates between payday and payment due are so close, making payment over the phone seems the fastest option going forward.

On the last point about the reference number is would most definitely need to be changed. Otherwise the money goes "missing".

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭wush06

If you need to ring these ring there free (1800) number for loans or something. When the phone is answer say you where put through to the wrong department and can you transfer me to customer service equals free call.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Nirvana999

Has anyone else come across the Avantcard problem when trying to pay off a balance using Laser? My Laser is with Danske/NIB and has 18 numbers but the Avant software rejects it because they demand 19 numbers... so cant use that method to pay off the balance.

This issue was reported to Avant weeks ago... but no action... same problem hanging online wasting call credit... and they have no email facility..

You're better off ringing the 071 (Leitrim) number on the back of the card rather than the 0818 number. If you're free landline calls it will be free or if you've inclusive minutes on your mobile, it will come out of those where as 0818 gets charged separately.

Since you're likely to be holding for ages, there's no point in paying and both numbers reach the same system.

It's (071) 965 6262

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Thraxen wrote: »
    On the last point about the reference number is would most definitely need to be changed. Otherwise the money goes "missing".

Does anyone know what happens if you pay online through your bank and don't change the reference number, how do you get the money back? Despite warning my father about it he went ahead and paid €1500 online through his bank. :eek:

Galadriel wrote: »
    Does anyone know what happens if you pay online through your bank and don't change the reference number, how do you get the money back? Despite warning my father about it he went ahead and paid €1500 online through his bank. :eek:

Contact Avant card and give them the reference number that he used. The payments all arrive into a holding account they'll be able to chase it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

Solair wrote: »
    You're better off ringing the 071 (Leitrim) number on the back of the card rather than the 0818 number. If you're free landline calls it will be free or if you've inclusive minutes on your mobile, it will come out of those where as 0818 gets charged separately.

Since you're likely to be holding for ages, there's no point in paying and both numbers reach the same system.

It's (071) 965 6262

That's the best bit of advice I've seen since this changeover caper started.
    Goodness knows what I've paid for calls to that 0818 number

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Solair wrote: »
    Contact Avant card and give them the reference number that he used. The payments all arrive into a holding account they'll be able to chase it up.

Turns out his payment went through ok even without the correct reference number.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 born 2 shop

:mad:Has anyone been able to read their statement on-line yet? I can see my balance and payments pending but haven't seen any transactions/credits made in the last 4 weeks. This shower really need to cop on now. This is going on far too long!! Very surprised there hasn't been much made of it in the media. I haven't received any statement either and that is overdue. I have no intention of paying my bill without seeing the transactions put through on it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Still no statement from them. Bunch of jack asses

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement