Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

J1 Chicago 2012

• 15-02-2012 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,
    Me and 5 other lads are heading to Chicago for the Summer and are wondering if anyone has any advice on Jobs or accommodation there? We heard Wrigleyville/lakeview are the best places to live but dont know where to start looking for accommodation?

Cheers,
    Eamonn

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 john_donohoe

Yeah we're four lads going and looking around the same areas, and lincoln park/fullerton. We've been told to basically try stay on the red line. Craigslist (chicago.craigslist.org) is probably the place for looking for places because america hasn't got an easy website for looking for apartments like daft.ie or myhome.ie or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭PHIDIAS

EamonnMcG wrote: »
    Hi,
    Me and 5 other lads are heading to Chicago for the Summer and are wondering if anyone has any advice on Jobs or accommodation there? We heard Wrigleyville/lakeview are the best places to live but dont know where to start looking for accommodation?

Cheers,
    Eamonn

Hi Eammon, just giving you a link to a hostel in lincoln park while you are looking for an apartment its in a great area lots of bars and clubs, close to wrigleyfield area and also close to downtown chicago. Hope its some help also craigslist is great for jobs and apartment search.
    www.getawayhostel.com

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Stevo91

Good man Mc gilloway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 john paulo

that hostel is all sold out by the looks of it:confused:

john paulo wrote: »
    that hostel is all sold out by the looks of it:confused:

Have you tried to call them, cancellations happen all the time, might be worth a try. Or maybe give these guys a try http://www.hichicago.org

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fionas04

Hey me and 3 others are going to Chicago as well and trying to find accommodation. We heard Wrigleyville is a good place to live but is it not really expensive??? Any suggestions please?

fionas04 wrote: »
    Hey me and 3 others are going to Chicago as well and trying to find accommodation. We heard Wrigleyville is a good place to live but is it not really expensive??? Any suggestions please?

Hi Fiona, ya Wrigleyville & Lincoln Park are both pretty expensive areas mainly because they are close to the lake front & the beaches, bars,restaurants etc, but some other areas to check out would be Lincoln Square, Ravenswood, Lakeview, Depaul, North Center these are all good areas and all are connected by train & bus services. Will give you a couple of links to apartment search sites so you can see what you should expect to pay in some of these areas. Hope this helps.:)

www.chicagoapartmentfinders.com
    www.apartmentsavvy.com
    www.apartmentpeople.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fionas04

Cheers! we are trying mainly to get a place near enough navy pier because thats were we have applied mostly for jobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 john_donohoe

set up a page on facebook for people looking where to stay or if they need roommates or anything

http://www.facebook.com/pages/J1-Chicago-2012/274098525994342

fionas04 wrote: »
    Cheers! we are trying mainly to get a place near enough navy pier because thats were we have applied mostly for jobs

The neighbourhoods i have listed already are all still close to down town chicago, the neighbourhoods that are closer still are the Gold coast , Streeterville, Old Town, Near North, The Loop, & River North... These are all neighbourhoods closer to Navy Pier but are also more expensive. Take a look at any of the apartment search links i have listed above and you can enter any of these neighbourhoods to see what rents go for & on the maps link see where thay are located.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 colmatty

Do any of you know would it be easier to find accom. with 4 people or more? I'm heading out with 3 others but we're looking for more to ease the rent burden!

colmatty wrote: »
    Do any of you know would it be easier to find accom. with 4 people or more? I'm heading out with 3 others but we're looking for more to ease the rent burden!
    Hi colmatty, its not a good idea to have to many people in an apartment, if things get to rowdy other tenants will complain and you might be ousted. It gets harder every year that goes by for J1 students to get accommodation because of the antics of the previous J1 students. So its best to keep it to a minimum. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭cup of tea

4 of us going over as well, would be up for sharing with another 4!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I'm heading to Chicago on my own. Looking to share accommodation with people. If anyone is interested, send me a pm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭shteve

Group of three heading over the 26th May. Up for sharing with another small group :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mimiandls12

Hey there's 2 of us heading over the 22nd of May, looking to live in the lakeview/wrigleyville area... hoping to house share with another group if anyone interested? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Stevo91

Well we currently have 4 , 2 lads and 2 girls, another two would be perfect for chopping down the rent expenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 8888

ya wrigleyville etc are supposed to be expensive, but worth it! Was just on the Lollapalooza website there and it's saying that all 3 day passes are sold out, only day passes left, anyone know if they release more or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,399 ✭✭✭✭cson

Buying passes for Lolla, how quaint :pac:

Pro tip; hop the fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 #014917

Hi there! I'm heading over to Chicago on my own (18th June to 5th Sept). I'm a 20 year old from NUI Maynooth. Just wondering if anyone here was looking for another person to share with. Please send me a message if so!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 glanzamike

Hi there, me and a friend are heading to chicago for the summer and looking to share accommodation.His heading over on the 28th may and ill be there on the 6th of june, anyone up for sharing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 coralani

Hey, me and my friend are heading to chicago the 3rd of June, stayin in the getaway for the first week and then hoping to live in Wrigleyville. were both 19,female and looking for a people to share with? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭travelledpengy

8888 wrote: »
    ya wrigleyville etc are supposed to be expensive, but worth it! Was just on the Lollapalooza website there and it's saying that all 3 day passes are sold out, only day passes left, anyone know if they release more or what?

Yeah they will always release more closer to the time, chronic line up this year

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Tony10

hey people, heading solo to chicago on the 25th May, staying till 5thSept.Looking to meet some people to share rent/housing etc.send me a msg if your interested.I love a party but i dont wanna live in filth ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Condabn1

Well! me and another lad, both 20 are heading over on the 7th of June and are looking for a few others to share a house with, not fussy who like. let us know if anyone is up for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lspel2012

"shteve" and "tony10"... 2 of us over 22nd anyone still interested in joining up for a house?

Just a note that more and more bars here are starting to accept only Irish passports, not licenses. Some places will be more relaxed about it if it is a quiet weekday. A lot of the lincoln park bars are fine with licenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 colmatty

Thank you, 'travelledpengy'.

Really struggling to find accom. here, anyone have any suggestions outside craigslist, rent.com?

colmatty wrote: »
    Thank you, 'travelledpengy'.

Really struggling to find accom. here, anyone have any suggestions outside craigslist, rent.com?

Try under sublet/temporary, you get a lot of college students here going home for Summer who still have leases on their units.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭shteve

accomodation is really difficult out here. Anyone get lucky?

Advertisement