Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Homebrew?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Went up this morning and searched high and low but they must have removed the last of them, and re-stocked with newer stuff.

Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Are the bigger stores still doing homebrew? The last time I was in Clarehall they had sod all. I'm going past Clearwater later, does anyone know if they still stock HB supplys?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Clearwater had bits last time I was in, a week or so ago.

Clearwater had bits last time I was in, a week or so ago.

Just bits or full range?

Bits and pieces. It's not a big seller for them, so they don't really maintain it.

• Advertisement

Very bad choice choice in Clearwater. And their prices have gone up a lot. Used to be €11 for 24peta bottles, gone up to €14. Most of the kits are €20. Think I'd rather purchase online.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

Anyone know if the Tesco in Maynooth or Naas sells the PET Bottles? I see from previous posts that the price has increased to €14 but I've just put in a HB order and didn't realise that I needed more bottles... (Only solution is to drink more I guess ;))... Might need to take a trip to Tesco to increase the stock. I don't fancy putting in another order online cos it costs €5 for delivery when I'll be passing near either Maynooth or Naas in the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

lang wrote: »
    Anyone know if the Tesco in Maynooth or Naas sells the PET Bottles? I see from previous posts that the price has increased to €14 but I've just put in a HB order and didn't realise that I needed more bottles... (Only solution is to drink more I guess ;))... Might need to take a trip to Tesco to increase the stock. I don't fancy putting in another order online cos it costs €5 for delivery when I'll be passing near either Maynooth or Naas in the coming days.

was in Tesco Maynooth yesterday and very little homebrew gear in stock, plus have jacked up the prices of what is left :(

kits are now €20, seen a few glass btls for sale at €7 for 6 I think, 5lts glass demijohns at €11.

no caps, no drops, no enhancers, imo it's only 25% the the size it was 3 months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

blueshed wrote: »
    was in Tesco Maynooth yesterday and very little homebrew gear in stock, plus have jacked up the prices of what is left :(

kits are now €20, seen a few glass btls for sale at €7 for 6 I think, 5lts glass demijohns at €11.

no caps, no drops, no enhancers, imo it's only 25% the the size it was 3 months ago.

It never really took off I think in Tesco I think, prices were too high to begin with plus you could never really get everything you wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭deckie27

Got a cheap wine kit in Naas this evening.
    Carafe 21. Reduced from 27 to 6 euro and a few pence
    There was a white left

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Does anyone know if they still have anything in Clearwater?

I'll be up that was tomorrow i think and might pop in

They have loads of stuff in Clearwater, but it's expensive.

Kits are €20, 500g Spraymalt are €8.

They have loads of stuff in Clearwater, but it's expensive.

Kits are €20, 500g Spraymalt are €8.

Just looking for some yeast i need in a hurry, maybe a glass DJ as welll. I got one there before for 11 quid

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Is there any reason why you wouldn't use the PET 5 ltr water bottles rather than buying them specially, I know you have to get a bung and airlock, but it would still work out cheaper than €14. I think most of what you are paying for is the storage space a 5lt bottle takes up!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭pcomer

looksee wrote: »
    Is there any reason why you wouldn't use the PET 5 ltr water bottles rather than buying them specially, I know you have to get a bung and airlock, but it would still work out cheaper than €14. I think most of what you are paying for is the storage space a 5lt bottle takes up!

Toxins from the plastic could leech into your brew. Make sure whatever u use is food grade plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Just a heads-up, what's left of the section in Maynooth is all in clearance now.

looksee wrote: »

I use the plastic for a secondary...i dont know, i just kind of like the glass DJs:)

Hit Clearwater today just for a few munites as i was out that way.

Got some Youngs Yeast and sterilliser which i had run out of and needed, the Home Brew section is getting smaller alright.

Although they did re-stock since i was last there, plenty of airlocks, bungs, siphons, good few kits as well although i didnt really make note of the prices.

I'd still order my wine kits online, Tesco is handy for some small things if you're stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

Saruwatari wrote: »
    Just a heads-up, what's left of the section in Maynooth is all in clearance now.

That's disappointing. I had noticed it was moving further and further away!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Blambalam

Has anyone seen homebrew stuff for sale in the Tesco in Cabra? It's one of the bigger stores, could be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

giftgrub wrote: »
    I use the plastic for a secondary...i dont know, i just kind of like the glass DJs:)

I did have six glass ones that had been in the attic for over 20 years, so I let them go, just before I decided I wanted to make mead...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Anyone know of a Dublin based Tesco still selling homebrew equipment ? I'm specifically after a box of Coopers 500ml pet bottles, I had a look in Clearwater a few days ago but all their homebew stuff seems to be gone.

RATM wrote: »
    Anyone know of a Dublin based Tesco still selling homebrew equipment ? I'm specifically after a box of Coopers 500ml pet bottles, I had a look in Clearwater a few days ago but all their homebew stuff seems to be gone.

apparently theyve restocked clarehalk, a mate who is out that way keeps an eye out for me. He took a pic on the phone, im pretty sure there was a box of bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Griff77

Does anyone know if they sell bottle caps in Tesco Clearwater (Finglas)? I was in the Clarehall Tescos at the weekend but no joy, they do have some homebrew kit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

Griff77 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if they sell bottle caps in Tesco Clearwater (Finglas)? I was in the Clarehall Tescos at the weekend but no joy, they do have some homebrew kit though.

They had some caps in Clearwater about 2 weeks ago

In Naas yesterday for work so I popped into the Tesco Extra for a look....

They had a small selection of beer and wine kits, DJs, Fermenters, glass bottles, cappers, yeast, cleaners etc

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

I was in Naas this evening and the homebrew section was still stocked. Sadly no ox bottles though as they were out of stock so I bought a capper and caps instead for my first go :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

Thats weird, I was just about to pop up to Naas to have a look for some OX bottles. Saved me the trip now cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

Griff77 wrote: »

The health shop in the pavilions sell caps if your stuck.

Never mind, just realized the post was 5 months old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

Anyone been to Clearwater recently and seen any homebrew kits?
    Was hoping to start a new brew this weekend so would pick one up tomorrow if they still have it.

I rang their helpline, @4p.m. a guy had me on the phone for 4-5 minutes, was trying to ring various extensions in Clearwater and find out for me. Told me to ring back after 6 as it would be less busy.
    Rang again and this time a different guy just searched on a computer and said no.
    Not too sure if I should take his word for it as it was very different to the first call!

Advertisement