Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Getting behind the team

Options
  • 26-09-2007 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭

OK so we know how badly we've played and now our backs are against the wall. If we're to have any chance of getting through (as unrealistic as that looks to many, myself included) we need the team to go out and play above themselves and with confidence, something seriously lacking at the moment.

So what about taking a play from Brian Kerrs book? For the U 16s and 18 European Football Championships which we won. He had the idea of arranging for each squad member to get faxes of support from their clubs, people known to them etc. He said that this had a huge effect on team morale and was a major help.

How about doing something similar for the team now? It can't do any harm and who knows it might just have the same effect that the pictures of Munster supporters in O'Connell St did for Munster in the Heineken Cup Final.

If nothing else it'd let them know that the supporters are behind them.

This isn't ignoring all the cr*p that has gone on up to now that can be sorted out after the RWC. But up till Sunday surely we can let the team know that we're behind them?

Or does anyone have any better ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

well said...enogh people moaning about things in the past that cant be changed.
    come on Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Well Prendy if you know anyone who can help,. . . . or maybe put it on other boards.

Who knows it might bring out a better performance at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

I dont know I was in Paris for the french game and well over half of the supporters there were Irish so its not as if fans aren't getting behind the team the support has been amazing.

02 are already showing the team the best supportive messeges sent to their website before each game

To be honest I think everything is being done to get behind the team but the problem is not with the support it is with the players and management

• Registered Users Posts: 42 conorb56

For what its worth, I feel that every team is worth one good day out, and I somehow feel that Ireland will show up on Sunday and run very close.
    They have done this many times in the past when everything was put up to them (remember Gatlands first visit to Paris with a 'crap' team and nearly won).
    This could be Hickie's last game, he will give it all, it is finally the chance for Murphy to show what he can do for Ireland, and with the entire Leinster 11-14 playing, it is very much on.
    That said if we don't do it, I think it will be Aus v Arg in the final.

Remember last summer when be ran the All Blacks close in 2 matches down under?

Come on Ireland

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

COME ON BOYS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

SpAcEd OuT wrote:
    02 are already showing the team the best supportive messeges sent to their website before each game

You may be right but I'm thinking of quantity here, also more messages of support from the players clubs* provinces, people who helped them when they were starting out etc.
    SpAcEd OuT wrote:
    To be honest I think everything is being done to get behind the team but the problem is not with the support it is with the players and management

I agree with you that the players and management have been the problem, but this is about trying to help them for Sunday. Who knows it might even give EOS the courage to use the bench! If we're flying home on Monday well then that's the time for post mortems.

*Though when they last played for them I dont' know :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

:) Ireland v Argentina
    Make or Break Sale!

No further reductions!

Sale closes 5pm Thur 27th Sept
    2 nights - Flights/Transfers/2 star Hotel/Cat 3 match ticket
    (Cat 2 upgrade €50)
    only €499
    Tax €65 - 3 star hotel add €100 p.p
    Call (01) 435 0021

I have been at the last 3 and am still well tempted but I would never get back without spending another 500 any way!!

SPent enough on heartache the last 3 games:mad:

Not related to this co. at all but it is a good deal in all fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I think o2.ie/rugby is the place to send messages of support to the team...

🤪

Advertisement