Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who to Shout for Now??

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

I'll be cheering on England..................................................Ahh only joking :D .

Will be cheering Ireland to the bitter end. (that'll most likely be Sunday then)

After that Argentina, Tonga, Scotland and Wales are all teams I'd like to see doing well.

NZ are shoe-ins to win this WC though. Would be major suprised if anyone else bar SA even give them a decent game.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

il gatto wrote:
    Any 6N team. I don't expect them to win, but I don't feel the need to support someone because I think they'll win. I don't like the smugness of the Southern Hemisphere fans I've detected browsing the web (Silver Fern and the like).
    As far as the Argies are concerned, I don't think they've been one bit creative or exciting to watch. It's like watching a less impressive version of the England team of four years ago. All bashing away with forwards with a few decent backs and a brilliant fly half. They caught France cold and hammered teams that should be hammered. We'll probably not do much damage to them, but that's another story. Should've been a tough win for us instead of a probable hiding.

It seems Argentina have caught France cold in five of their last six meetings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

philstar wrote:
    no i don't, not into diagos ;)

is your name nigel owens bye any chance??
    Lol :D

I'm actually up for France. Allez les Bleus :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

nipplenuts wrote:
    Ah, the fair weather fan. Hang your head in shame, we'll be shouting for Ireland.

a fan of rugby first and foremost, thats why i want the argies to go through they have been the most entertaining team of all and deserve to be in the WC quarter finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

It seems Argentina have caught France cold in five of their last six meetings.

Ireland lost twice during the summer and it'll probably be three times after Sunday. But the Irish team who played on that tour were a second stream team. However, it'll forever be recorded as two defeats. Likewise, three of those five wins for Argentina were in Buenos Aires in one off tests, in which France fielded experimental teams and didn't approach as competitively as they would've elsewhere. I don't think Argentina winning five out of six against France is a fair representation of their relative quality.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

il gatto wrote:
    three of those five wins for Argentina were in Buenos Aires in one off tests, in which France fielded experimental teams and didn't approach as competitively as they would've elsewhere.

ya but France did'nt field an experimental team on the opening night when they were stuffed by the pumas

That's why I said they were caught cold. And besides, 90% of Laportes teams are experimental in some way. Haymens at fullback was an experiment which went terribly wrong in that match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

Ireland all the way. Would love to see Fiji and Tonga going through aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 TangoGolf

No One RWC is over for me

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

A few people on this forum have said that true fans don't turn on their team but support them no matter what. I come from a county that produce more bad days for it's fans than probably any other in history of our home grown game. We gripe and complain but then we keep coming back for more. And there is one big reason for this, the guys work for a living like us, they are not pampered professionals.

The current team are professionals, not amateurs who had day jobs like the old days of Ciaran Fitz, Tony Ward, Wille Duggan, Moss Keane, Nick Poppelwell, Phil Orr etc etc.

This team don't have the old excuses anymore, that they did not have enough time together, that they did not have time to work on their moves, that they don't have facilities.
    They have probably more time together than their French or Argentine counterparts have had.

Now the excuses flying around is they are training too hard, that they are over trainined, doing the wrong training. Give us a break.
    I wouldn't mind if we didn't have to listen to their tv/radio adds, find half of them writing columns in the papers, listen to them contributing to various radio shows. Have to watch EOS spouting drivel at every opportunity.

We have contributed only one thing to this world cup and that is bemusement amongst the worlds rugby pundits and fans. They are all wondering what the hell our team are doing and how the hell our team and it's stars have performed so badly.

If we don't complain and kickup now, the current setup continues.
    Over next few years we will probably win a few matches in 5 nations, possibly triple crown if we can overcome a resurgent England or Wales on bad day.
    Then 4 years on, we will be in harder group in WC. We will still have EOS at the helm, with half of our current squad of good players probably gone. Nice thought isn't it :(

Saying all that I will be effing at the TV come the weekend hoping they perform a miracle.
    Why are some teams so painful to follow :confused:

EDIT: Just spotted picture of Eddie the Spin on front page of Indo with hurley. Could someone, preferably from Munster, take it off him and use it to give him a new hair parting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

...and the match a few months ago where France beat Argentina by a point in France? Surely, that match would focus French minds to the fact Argentina were not to be taken lightly.
    Having played them fives times and lost at least twice with a full team it simply doesn't makes sense that France were caught cold. I mean look at Ireland's record against France in the last four years.
    Argentina are a good side no matter how you try to spin France losing the game

I didn't dispute that they're good. Just that beating France is not does not make them an exciting team or even a great team. I'm not spinning anything. I don't care how France lose. Argentina have always been a tough team, but just because we're likely to go out at their hands, I think feel the need to talk them up. We'll go out to an average team. That's our fault and not because Argentina are all that special.

Advertisement