Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apple Tree Cider

Options
  • 11-10-2012 9:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭

Sorry guys, do not think this deserves a new thread but couldn't find a thread which suits? Just bought a few cans of this today. It's 6% but I am more for the taste than getting drunk to be honest. It seems kind of strong tasting. What do other people think, it's made in Cork.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

I think it is distributed only by Barrys of Mallow and thus only available in Carry Out stores. It will probably waiver between €1 to 4for€5 deals each promo period. Its tastes as you would expect for a budget cider but is made for people looking for cheap access to alcohol IMO for which it ticks all the boxes rather than taste. If you are more interested in taste why not try Stonewell cider also made in Cork ( Nohoval outside Kinsale)

That's a proper proper cider. Incredibly fresh and crisp tasting. Its pricey though at 3.99 a bottle!!! But you get what you pay for. Available in Dry or medium dry. Medium dry is my favourite

http://www.studentnewsie.com/e1-apple-tree-cider-takes-cork-by-storm-6010/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I usually drink Bulmers or Kopperberg. I have realised that it's a bit too strong for me really. Might try the Stonewell one though. When you say bottle, do you mean like a two liter or horror of horrors, a bottle in the pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

eternal wrote: »
    I usually drink Bulmers or Kopperberg. I have realised that it's a bit too strong for me really. Might try the Stonewell one though. When you say bottle, do you mean like a two liter or horror of horrors, a bottle in the pub?

:) No its a 500ml btl. If you drink kopperberg which I do sometimes too, I really like the naked apple and strawberry&Lime. Its only €1 more per btl than kopperberg so well worth a try whenever you feel like treating yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭reeb

Interesting articles on modern ciders

http://www.camra.org.uk/aboutcider
    http://www.real-cider.co.uk/ciders-not-recognised-as-being-real/

Try Lwellyns Double L if you can get your hands on it, its fantastic. Think drinkstore do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Try Maddens Mellow Cider, finest cider I've tasted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

It's a bit of a leap from the "ciders" of Bulmers/Kopparbergs of this world, to the likes of Double L really.

I mean, Bulmers doesn't really taste of real apples, like Double L does.

someone who drinks Bulmers doesn't do so because they love the taste of fermented apple juice, so telling them to try the "proper" ciders, and saying they are lovely - but then not stating that they are entirely different drinks is, to my mind, doing these delicious beverages a disservice.

Telling someone who's only experience of "cider" is Bulmers, Kopparberg or Rekorderlig that they should try a "delicious Double L", just because it is also called "Cider" is setting these people up for a bad experience, imo.

They are not like-for-like drinks.

for example, if someone is a drinker of Carlsberg/Heineken, they will have some experience of the hop taste - so if they move on to something like London Pride, O'Hara's Pale Ale they won't be very surprised by the taste/flavour profile of those drinks.

However, I think there is a huge world of difference going from Bulmers to Double L.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Des wrote: »
    It's a bit of a leap from the "ciders" of Bulmers/Kopparbergs of this world, to the likes of Double L really.
    This is true but I think the new Irish craft ciders are great stepping stones. I don't think there's anything in the medium ciders by the likes of Stonewell, MacIvor's, Longueville and Armagh Cider that would frighten a Bulmer's drinker the way Double L might.

Which was the one at the RDS? They had a apple, and an apple & strawberry on.

They were lovely.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Which was the one at the RDS? They had a apple, and an apple & strawberry on.

They were lovely.
    Tempted? [not a question]. Yep, another gateway cider. Their Special Reserve is gorgeous. MacIvor's was at the RDS too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭reeb

I see the point you are making, but this is cider, not a fine pinot noir. Its a simple drink of fermented pressed apple juice, consumed by peasants and labourers for hundreds of years. Its hardly something to be scared of. People tend to lose sight of the nature of cider and beer when they get caught up in the artisan end of things.

Its a bit depressing to think that modern "cider" has brought us to the point where people are not interested in actual cider.

• Advertisement

That's the one - cheers.

I was delighted to find that it didn't taste unlike my homebrew Lidl Juice Cider that I made ages ago

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Dunc32

Ive been drinking apple tree cider for the last few months now and find it lovely . I like the taste and it has one hell of a kick. I would normally drink about 8 cans in a night . Memory gone by the sixth can lol. It can leave a fair hangover sometimes but Ive noticed that when I eat a packet of dry roasted peanuts when im drinking it , I'll be fine the next morning . My record is 12 cans and wont be trying to beat it anytime soon. No amount of peanuts will prevent that hangover lol

As this thread has been reborn , I suggest the apple wine in Germany if anyone is going there, it is really is nice, very delicate. I am not an alcohol snob like some people on here but am a chef so have some idea about flavours. Do not like the comment saying I can't handle this and that. Next people will be looking for a degree in tasting just to have an opinion on a couple of cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Got 24 cans for €24 in Costcutters yesterday. First time trying it and I like it :)

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    Got 24 cans for €24 in Costcutters yesterday. First time trying it and I like it :)

Are you in the north?

Are you in the north?
    No. Bray.

No. Bray.

Don't think you can get slabs of it in Cork city, mores the pity.

Don't think you can get slabs of it in Cork city, mores the pity.
    Go onto their website and it tells you which shops also have an off licence.

I can't find their website but the only place I know that sells it is in an off licence. They have it for 5.50 for 4 of them and I noticed they have boxes of bottles now too for 16.99 for 20 bottles.

I can't find their website but the only place I know that sells it is in an off licence. They have it for 5.50 for 4 of them and I noticed they have boxes of bottles now too for 16.99 for 20 bottles.
    http://www.costcutter.ie/index.php/store-locator/

• Advertisement

After having a right few in my opinion its not as nice as Devils Bit Cider which has a bit more flavour, but at €24 for 24 was a great deal.

After having a right few in my opinion its not as nice as Devils Bit Cider which has a bit more flavour, but at €24 for 24 was a great deal.

Thanks. I wouldn't normally drink the strong ciders but I like this one. Too many flagons as a teenager :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Weesy

Appletree cider is produced by bulmers as far as I know , very good off licence in Blackpool in cork called carryout which sell 4 cans of appletree for €5 or 24 for €25.99 . Occasionally they drop case price to €24.99 . They also sell the longneck appletree for €1 each

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I used to drink Bulmers and agree it tastes nothing like apples.
    Then I tried Appletree and I liked it. It has that crisp, real apple flavour and it's not sweet like Bulmers.

Picked up a slab in Carry Out Off-Licence yesterday-24 cans for €23.99.
    Really impressed by this cider.
    For me, I don't go price when it comes to drink.

I'm a big wine fan and I've had fairly horrible-tasting wine that cost €30+ a bottle, and then there's the likes of Aldi's Kooliburra Shiraz, which is delicious and only €5.49 a bottle.

To me, if it tastes nice I'll drink it, so price doesn't equate to quality/better taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

Apple Tree is absolute poison to me. I could drink 2 or 3 cans, might not even be drunk, and yet the next day I'll be puking my guts out from 7AM to about 3PM or 4PM. Don't know why I can't drink it, I'm grand with other ciders. I think I must be allergic to some of its ingredients.

Advertisement