Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best IPA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

RasTa wrote: »
    I prefer Gammy Ray over Bloody ell from Beavertown.

Also fantastic. Neck oil is worth a too even though its not an IPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Not G.R wrote: »
    Also fantastic. Neck oil is worth a too even though its not an IPA.

Tis a session IPA. Haven't had a bad beer from Beavertown tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

What three pages in and no one has mentioned Heady Topper and John f***ing Kimmich, call yourself beer nerds !!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

oblivious wrote: »
    What three pages in and no one has mentioned Heady Topper and John f***ing Kimmich, call yourself beer nerds !!! ;)

We're realistic beer nerds. No point talking about IPA's that are for the most part unattainable unless you know someone in the area near the brewery. :D

We're realistic beer nerds. No point talking about IPA's that are for the most part unattainable unless you know someone in the area near the brewery. :D

But you don't ever have to try it, just belive in it :P:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I laugh at your 3 pages also!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭willabur

oblivious wrote: »

oblivious to my posts it would seem :D:D:D

I mentioned I managed to procure a 4 pack of cans of Heady Topper straight from the Brewery. Beautiful beer. Always torn between drinking it from the can or pouring it into a glass.

willabur wrote: »
    oblivious to my posts it would seem :D:D:D

:)
    Who's: got time to read three page :P :D John f***ing Kimmich :D

Alchemist have collaboration with Dieu Du Ciel called Moralite which is also incredible but you would need to be in Quebec to source it.

Alchemist have collaboration with Dieu Du Ciel called Moralite which is also incredible but you would need to be in Quebec to source it.

Don't make me order from here again...

https://www.saveur-biere.com/en/bottled-beer/6358-dieu-du-ciel-moralite.html

• Advertisement

Does that site still work? Tried to add some items to basket there to no avail

Does that site still work? Tried to add some items to basket there to no avail

Yup, made an order 2 weeks back

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA is really nice.

F.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Ages ago I dug out a few bottles of Whistleblower (Trouble Brewing) that had gone long past it's supposed best before date. It was heavenly and benefited from the extra few months. Thing is, it's an occasional brew so you'll be waiting for a bottle of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

My personal preference is to stick with Irish breweries for IPAs at least, UK IPAs are usually good too, and at a push, European IPAs. American IPAs, while they are fantastic (cans of Founder's stuff have always delivered, Lagunitas was wonderful when I tried it on draught, same with Sierra Nevada Pale Ale), they can suffer from their long journey, as people have mentioned. They're at their best when fresh, otherwise they're not necessarily THAT much better than anything you can get here anyway. Which can be annoying when you're paying for the privilege of drinking an American beer.

8 Degrees make lovely IPAs, The Full Irish is worth trying anyway. Other than that my advice would be just go mad! And most importantly, ignore online advice. Even this post. It might not apply to your tastes at all. You'll notice there's a massive range of opinion on here when it comes to beer (for example, some posters mentioned the O'Hara's Double IPA, and that is really one of the only beers I could not finish), and tbh there's none of us wrong.

If you don't find something satisfying your specific taste, you could always have a go at brewing your own (assuming you don't already). It's a lot easier than you might think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

some posters mentioned the O'Hara's Double IPA, and that is really one of the only beers I could not finish)

I tried it once and thought it was so horrendous that I figured I had got a bottle that was either gone bad or from a dodgy batch. Maybe I was wrong and that's how it's supposed to taste! Their regular IPA isn't too bad though.

Personally I enjoy any of the following, off the top of my head:
    Founders All Day IPA
    Sierra Nevada IPA
    Blacks of Kinsale IPA
    Farmaggedon IPA
    Modus Hoperandi
    Lagunitas Lil Sumpin Sumpin

I don't know enough about beers to say that any of them are the best, but I'd happily drink plenty of any of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I thought it was ok but not great. Very heavy grapefruit hop flavour with a bitter finish. Could probably have done with being a bit sweeter imo. One of the weaker beers I've tried from that brewery, most of their stuff is pretty amazing. Their Corne du Diable IPA was pure perfection.

American IPAs, while they are fantastic (cans of Founder's stuff have always delivered, Lagunitas was wonderful when I tried it on draught, same with Sierra Nevada Pale Ale), they can suffer from their long journey, as people have mentioned. They're at their best when fresh, otherwise they're not necessarily THAT much better than anything you can get here anyway. Which can be annoying when you're paying for the privilege of drinking an American beer.
    Thing is though, you're generally not paying for the privilege when you consider that a lot of the core ranges of US beers are still cheaper than their Irish equivalents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

BaZmO* wrote: »

Thing is though, you're generally not paying for the privilege when you consider that a lot of the core ranges of US beers are still cheaper than their Irish equivalents.

Are they though?

A lot of the Irish breweries bottle in 500ml bottles, whereas the US standard seems to be 355ml. Most of the Irish 330ml bottles I've seen were cheaper than their similar-sized US counterparts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Considering it hasn't been mentioned once on the thread I'll stick up for Proper Job. Widely available, very hoppy. Maybe it isn't the best of the best, but it has it's own definite qualities.

Galway Hooker is perfectly passable too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Hooker is not an IPA nor does it claim to be

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Black's of Kinsale Rocket Ship IPA

4 for €10 in Dunnes...me like :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Black's of Kinsale Rocket Ship IPA

4 for €10 in Dunnes...me like :D

I'm very fond of their KPA (not sure if it qualifies as an IPA?) - they usually have it in either bottles or cans in Drink Store in Stoneybatter.

Guinness releasing a Nitro IPA - 40IBU which is at the extreme low point on the BVCP definition of an English or American IPA.
    Will give it a go but it screams Blandness much like everything else from that brewery

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Hooker is not an IPA nor does it claim to be

Fair enough. It does call itself an Irish Pale Ale.
    Which is to me - a non-expert on all things beer - close enough in terms of initials and of general taste to warrant a passing mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Naparbier - Aker IPA & Aotearoa (really hoppy pilsner)
    Brooklyn Blast is also a great beer.
    Siren - Soundwave IPA
    Weird Beard - Mariana Trench

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Guinness releasing a Nitro IPA
    US-only, though. They release loads of limited edition beers in the States that we never see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

A super interesting one (yet extremely difficult to find) is Stone's Dayman coffee IPA. If you ever see it, buy it! From anywhere in the world. I couldn't get enough of the Porterhouse Hop Head when I was home last. Its just too easy to drink (although I say that about most IPAs :P).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Guinness releasing a Nitro IPA - 40IBU which is at the extreme low point on the BVCP definition of an English or American IPA.
    Will give it a go but it screams Blandness much like everything else from that brewery

Interesting, haven't heard about that, when is it happening?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

when is it happening?
    They haven't made any announcement. US law requires labels to be published on a government database before the product is released. Beer obsessives trawl the database for news of upcoming releases before the brewery announces them and that's where this was found.

There's no actual obligation on the brewery to ever make or release a beer they've registered a label for. When Stone got annoyed by geeks posting their prospective labels before they announced the beers, they registered this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Was at a blind IPA tasting during the week, Aker and Odell's were rated highest, Full Sail was bottom and we were in a GB pub :-)

Advertisement