Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommend an Android Phone

• 05-02-2013 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Looking for some recommendations for a new android phone. I had been an Apple devotee for a long time but sold my iPhone 5 a couple of months ago. I decided to go with Windows 8 phone and bought a HTC 8X. I just couldn't tolerate the sh!tty apps for it though so I've now sold it on. I now want to get a decent android phone. What I'm looking for is something quick, powerful, nice screen and thats about it. I'd ideally only want to spend about €400 but could push it a bit maybe.

Is the S3 still the best to get? I see you can get it for €429 on Amazon DE. That the best place to buy it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Nexus 4?
    Have a look at the thread about ordering one.
    U can get one for about €330 delivered to Parcel Motel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

iggy wrote: »
    Nexus 4?
    Have a look at the thread about ordering one.
    U can get one for about €330 delivered to Parcel Motel.
    Note 2 will cost ya more but we'll worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

Note 2 will cost ya more but we'll worth it.

domjolytab.jpg

Deadly phone tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

domjolytab.jpg

Deadly phone tho.

Harsh haha.

Can't go back to a smaller phone now every other phone looks tiny tbh I'd go a little bit bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

S3 is a great phone but if you can wait two months the S4 is expected in Mid April. At that stage you could either get the S4 or the S3 will probably drop quiet a bit in price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭aliaslinden

No one knows when the Galaxy SIV will launch, we have to get over this idea of always waiting for the next best thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Some slight future proofing: LTE isn't out here yet but it's coming, get a phone with it!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Motorola Razr I, i just got one and its every bit as fast as an S3 but feels way nicer in my hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Dcully wrote: »
    Motorola Razr I, i just got one and its every bit as fast as an S3 but feels way nicer in my hand.

Is it really good? My 3GS starting to piss me off completely. Wireless range gone completely to shiet ( known problem ) and now looks like cellular data gone too. I cant afford anything splashy now, so my budget is going to be around 300eu.

I just noticed that razr i has problem with apps. Some of them are not supported due to intel chip? Hows the picture quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I just noticed that razr i has problem with apps. Some of them are not supported due to intel chip? Hows the picture quality?

About a million betters than my Desire HD anyway.

• Advertisement

Is it really good? My 3GS starting to piss me off completely. Wireless range gone completely to shiet ( known problem ) and now looks like cellular data gone too. I cant afford anything splashy now, so my budget is going to be around 300eu.

I only use a handful of apps and no issues with any.
    I read a lot of reviews and while reviewers mentioned some app issues they also mentioned theres only a tiny few that give issues with some reviewers saying its hardly even worth mentioning.

The screen is lovely, it really is edge to edge,colours are really vibrant,HD video is great too.
    As someone said in another thread "its the only option out there if you want high end specs, great build quality in a reasonable sized, non giant, device."
    Plus it doesnt cost an arm and a leg.
    I would certainly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Dcully wrote: »
    I only use a handful of apps and no issues with any.
    I read a lot of reviews and while reviewers mentioned some app issues they also mentioned theres only a tiny few that give issues with some reviewers saying its hardly even worth mentioning.

The screen is lovely, it really is edge to edge,colours are really vibrant,HD video is great too.
    As someone said in another thread "its the only option out there if you want high end specs, great build quality in a reasonable sized, non giant, device."
    Plus it doesnt cost an arm and a leg.
    I would certainly recommend it.

Cheers, thats great. I presume Motorolla wont have great support for future android updates? From stuff i read so far, the only ones that are on the ball with android updates are samsungs.
    For me the most important things in phone are Camera and browser. I dont really care much about the Apps. All i need is just a few basic ones and i dont play games on phone anymore.
    I sow that Sony experia T is about 370eu on amazon. I wonder which one would stack up better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Well Google own Motorola so I'd say there won't be any issues regarding future support for the phones.

Razr I owners in Europe are this week starting to get updates to Jelly Bean.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Cheers, thats great. I presume Motorolla wont have great support for future android updates? From stuff i read so far, the only ones that are on the ball with android updates are samsungs.
    For me the most important things in phone are Camera and browser. I dont really care much about the Apps. All i need is just a few basic ones and i dont play games on phone anymore.
    I sow that Sony experia T is about 370eu on amazon. I wonder which one would stack up better?

By the looks of things Motorola devices will be among the fitst to get 5.0 rolled out to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭SK1979

Thanks for the advice lads (OP here), put through an order for a Nexus 4 last night, so hopefully that will go through.

Excited now! :)

Advertisement