Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What is the best project to do?

Options
  • 11-06-2012 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi I am a 2nd Year student, going into 3rd year and I am just wondering what is the best thing to do for a single person project?

Am I 50-60% Avg Student and I am just wondering what would be the best solution?

Thanks,
    3rd Year Student

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

What was the project description given by your lecturer?

What language do you need to do it in?

I know for me the idea centers around these questions and then is based on my ability to research requirements.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Whatever language you do it in, stick with what you know. This applies to both the language and the project topic, e.g. if you don't know how a video store works, then don't do a video store app.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Hi I am a 2nd Year student, going into 3rd year and I am just wondering what is the best thing to do for a single person project?

Am I 50-60% Avg Student and I am just wondering what would be the best solution?

Thanks,
    3rd Year Student

Define best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 3rdYearStudent

The Launages I have studied over the last 3 years of my course is HTML, CSS, C#, ASP.Net, JQUERY and JavaScript. I am planning on doing something in SharePoint, or to do an app for a smartphone or Windows 8? Anyone every do something in SharePoint?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭shanefitz360

The Launages I have studied over the last 3 years of my course is HTML, CSS, C#, ASP.Net, JQUERY and JavaScript. I am planning on doing something in SharePoint, or to do an app for a smartphone or Windows 8? Anyone every do something in SharePoint?

With those technologies you should consider Windows 8 apps. Everything you need is in this guide and the end product would be something you could releases easily for others to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Elfman

As stated by kbannon the best approach is to try and solve a problem you understand. You don't want to waste time understanding the business logic or a project. Windows 8 is a great idea you can do something in the Metro style and maybe have a live tiles that pulls from a webservice. that would be cool ! I'm actually jealous i wish I had the time to do a project like that.

Maybe you could have an app that let you enter details for a flight you wanted to take and it would scrape airline sites to get the best deals. A user could then have a live tile which would update with new deals on chosen routes. Again though it has to be something you understand already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I think you should also consider what job you want at the end of your course.
    Most of your experience seems to be skewed towards web programming.
    So maybe something that showcases the new HTML 5 features.

http://www.html5rocks.com/en/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The real question is have you ever done something in SharePoint? :)

I would suggest that the problem with something like SharePoint is that it could add a big layer of complexity to your development. SharePoint Development isn't particularly hard, there's just a lot of things to know about how SharePoint works, and the best ways to ingrate your custom functionality with it. It takes a good bit of knowledge and experience to know the best way to develop for it without wasting a lot of time and effort.

What SharePoint does give you though is a ton of out of the box functionality that you can tie into. You can create really in-depth solutions packed with functionality before you write a single line of code.

If your project is mostly about demonstrating your coding ability, you're probably better off avoiding it. If your project is about creating functionality and a novel/interesting solution, and it fits into SharePoint's usage scenarios, then SharePoint could be very good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 3rdYearStudent

Sorry I never got back to any of ye, forgot to check this!! In the end I did a MVC 4 project planner application.

One question for any of ye, I seen a job spec with a formula 1 team, and I am just wondering what is the best project to do surrounding this topic?? Its just I'd love to work in this area for a few years. If anyone is in the f1 industry, can you help me with this even.

Thanks
    Patrick Melia

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭fatlog

I'd personally push the boat out a bit and explore some newer technologies. Try something like Node.js and some of the multitude of javascript libraries such as backbone, d3, etc...

As someone mentioned above HTML5 is worth looking at. There are some nice new features in it such as WebSockets and the audio, video and canvas tags. There are some many things you can do with those - in conjunction with Node.js.

Maybe also look at developing your site for Android using PhoneGap. All the above can be done just as easily in a PhoneGap app and you get the added bonus of it being on mobile.

It may sound like a lot in the above but there really isn't anything too difficult or new if you have a good grasp of the basics of development.

Plus its all very interesting stuff...

Edit:

ooppss, just spotted that this ticket was effectively closed a year ago. Sorry! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement