Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

banjobongo wrote: »
    Im a Type One, diagnosed about 2 yrs ago. I sometimes have lows/hypos, I think the lowest I have gone was 1.9 (today), was in a meeting at work and I know I was going low but didnt realise how low I was. Luckily I had glucose and got it up again to 6 quickly. How low can you go and still be OK enough to realise you are and sort it out? I woudl this 1.9 is about as low as possible?

Everyones different and there is also alot to be said with what you are doing at the time. I have been down to that loads of times and still functioning relatively OK and in other situations I have been at 3.0 and literally chewing the face of myself as I run into walls in a state of confusion. I found that hypos during physical activity affect me worse mentally, so if I am hypo but sitting I don't notice as quick, much like yourself in a meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Faith wrote: »
    Hi all, I hope it's okay to ask a quick naïve question here :). I'm currently doing my doctoral thesis on factors that may affect insulin adherence for people with type 1 diabetes. I'm recruiting through the UK only, partly because I'm based here and partly because insulin is available on the NHS so cost isn't a confounding factor. It made me wonder what the situation in Ireland is, and who better to ask that those on the inside! If you have type 1 diabetes, do you have to pay for insulin or is it covered somehow? Thanks for the insight!

Hello again :)

I'm still alive :rolleyes:

@Faith - totally agree with Cram and BTJV, the LTI is great. A bugger to get on when you're diagnosed as a T1D 40something in another health region - but that a whole other story.

I'll do a "The Detectorists" on this - did you see University Challenge last night?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Take any number on any meter below 4 with a large pinch of salt. The meters are really not that accurate to be able to make a useful distinction. For example a meter showing a reading of 3 would still be within the required accuracy if the actual BG was 2.1 or 3.8.

Just treat the low and ignore the exact number.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I had an interesting one this morning. On my cycle to work, I pulled into the business park and noticed a queue of cars, which was unusual. Cycled up the inside and saw people walking through the traffic towards the path which was strange, looked to my left and saw a man on the ground.

I hopped off the bike to see what was up, there was a woman beside him asking for sugar. I had a bottle of coke on me and I took it out. The guy was on his back and very much out of it. Conscious, but only just. We managed to get him to drink half the bottle, and I was able to talk to him a bit after this. First I asked if he was T1 or T2, which he replied T2. And he said he was on insulin after more questions. He had his own blood tester which I then used to check his sugars. 8.3 was the first reading, which I didn't believe. So I tried again in the other hand, 8.6. This check was very shortly after the coke was ingested, not enough time to have that kind of affect.

I should also mention that an ambulance had been called as I arrived. Knowing that this episode wasn't diabetes related, I decided to check his pulse which seemed fine to my untrained perception. At this point all I could do was make sure he was comfortable and keep him awake and talking. He did start to come around to a degree, but was still very much faded. I even checked his head to see if he smashed himself in the fall but could see nothing. The ambulance arrived and I gave as much info as I could and off he was taken.

Fair play to the first lady on the scene, she took control of the situation and did very well in the circumstances. And lets all hope that he recovers and this wasn't anything too serious!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Latest Hba1c was 40 or 5.8 in old terms - over the moon by this - the bloods were just after Easter too and my son's birthday :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

a general question but do artificial sweeteners or "no added sugar" concentrate type drinks cause insulin spikes? Ive heard various answers over the years.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

No added sugar is not the same as sugar free. For example fruit juices often claim to have no added sugar but there would still be natural sugars (fructose) in the juice which could cause blood glucose to rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

No added sugar is not the same as sugar free. For example fruit juices often claim to have no added sugar but there would still be natural sugars (fructose) in the juice which could cause blood glucose to rise.

cheers, here is an example, 500ml diluted seems to have 1g of sugar , sometimes i add it to a yogurt or a green smoothie or make a drink and squeeze in some lemon/lime

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=263588794

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭ebbsy

So next month I will travel to Newcastle to collect the Noctura 400 sleep mask, a non invasive treatment for Diabetic Retinopathy. The cost of the flight was €40, and the mask costs 250 stg for 3 months. This includes an eye exam.

I will document my progress if anybody is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

ebbsy wrote: »
    So next month I will travel to Newcastle to collect the Noctura 400 sleep mask, a non invasive treatment for Diabetic Retinopathy. The cost of the flight was €40, and the mask costs 250 stg for 3 months. This includes an eye exam.

I will document my progress if anybody is interested.

Would appreciate updates on the mask please, my levels are much more towards under 9 atm so eyesight has been at best levels in the last 3 years after two vitrectomy one in each eye and a washout of the left things are stable but I've got cataracts in each eye and at 35 years old that's not good so if the mask works I'd look at getting one somehow someway for myself. Retinopathy is a terrifying complication to go through I'm hoping I have a handle on mine now. Good luck with the mask hope it helps.

• Advertisement

Would appreciate updates on the mask please, my levels are much more towards under 9 atm so eyesight has been at best levels in the last 3 years after two vitrectomy one in each eye and a washout of the left things are stable but I've got cataracts in each eye and at 35 years old that's not good so if the mask works I'd look at getting one somehow someway for myself. Retinopathy is a terrifying complication to go through I'm hoping I have a handle on mine now. Good luck with the mask hope it helps.

I will give updates for sure. They would not give a licence for it if it was not of some use ?

I talked my consultant last month when I was in for Laser, he was happy for me to try it.

I had cataracts taken out of both eyes 6 years ago. It is not a major operation so I would push for it bud.

So I contacted the manufacturer of the Noctura 400 glasses, and they sent me a list of approved opticians in the UK. I chose one in Newcastle as it is close to the airport. (Ten minutes by taxi).

So I communicated with them by e-mail.

They sent me a list of available dates ( every Wednesday ).

I chose mid May.

They asked me for my details, what hospital I attended here, and the hours that I sleep. (The glasses will be programmed to these hours).

They were very professional.

Will update again upon my return.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭cumulonimbus

Has anyone tried ketogenic diet or carnivore diet to reverse type2 diabetes?I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes recently and have just started a ketogenic diet - too early yet for any results. Just wondering if others have gone this route.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭gctest50

Makikomi maybe ? posted in the Pepsi thread the other day :

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106748249&postcount=24

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Hi all.
    Posted a thread this morning but maybe on wrong thread.

My Dr says I don't have diabetes.was at doc on call and my sugars were 12.9 and to go my own Dr etc.

He maintains that the glucose test is only way to do it but wife seems to think it's a blood test for hb something. That glucose test is gone with flood.

Any thoughts?

Do both :)

Maybe the 12.9 wasn't accurate

Did you clean your hands before the ( 12.9 ) test ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Hi all.
    Posted a thread this morning but maybe on wrong thread.

My Dr says I don't have diabetes.was at doc on call and my sugars were 12.9 and to go my own Dr etc.

He maintains that the glucose test is only way to do it but wife seems to think it's a blood test for hb something. That glucose test is gone with flood.

Any thoughts?

The glucose test measures your response to sugar load.

The hba1c measures your response to sugar load averaged over 3 months.

Question I am asking really is how is diabetes diagnosed? What symptoms should make themselves known?

I feel fine..,

You could have it for a decade and feel fine - go do tests

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Question I am asking really is how is diabetes diagnosed? What symptoms should make themselves known?

I feel fine..,

For fairly advanced serious diabetes, thirst, frequent urination, tiredness, lack of energy.

Best job is to get both tests done. Either rule it out and no worries or get diagnosed so you can start controlling it. Either way, you're better off getting the tests done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

I feel fine..,

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/diabetes-the-basics/diabetes-symptoms

Many thanks for your replies. Will read that link now.

I have had 2 glucose tests and I was shown not to be diabetic using that test.

Wife his pals in nursing and she rang the association and a diabetic nurse says my sugars are too high

But my doctor says no

Get a HbA1c done, if it is over 7 you are Diabetic. (I think officially it is 6.5%). You could do an oral GTT. Overnight fast, take a glass of lucozade when you get up and don't eat for over two hours, take your blood sugars every 15 minutes along the way, if it is not on its way down after 1.25hours, also a strong sign, if it is still above 7 after 2 hours, also a good indication.

CramCycle wrote: »

Overnight fast, take a glass of lucozade when you get up.,.....

Only half the sugar in Lucozade these days because scalping b........ds looking after peoples health

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭uli84

Anybody knows how long for the background eye retinopathy to become a retinopathy or is it “how long is a piece of string” question?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,340 ✭✭✭✭banie01

uli84 wrote: »
    Anybody knows how long for the background eye retinopathy to become a retinopathy or is it “how long is a piece of string” question?

It really is a "piece of string" question. If you have good glucose control coupled with good Blood Pressure you can hopefully stave off any further damage for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

CramCycle wrote: »
    Get a HbA1c done, if it is over 7 you are Diabetic. (I think officially it is 6.5%).

Not really disputing it, but is that true? What type diabetic? GAD test to confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xofpod

uli84 wrote: »

All the advice I've had is that background eye retinopathy can be fluctuating and can be reversible. While obviously I don't know your individual situation, in my case my yearly retinopathy scan last year showed background retinopathy. A subsequent optician visit and this year's scan showed the all-clear again.

Irish Wolf wrote: »
    Not really disputing it, but is that true? What type diabetic? GAD test to confirm?

It changes every now and again and the WHO and Diabetes Care warn that each case is individual, my memory is WHO guidelines are above 6.5% but it used to be 7%.

Some details here, basically giving a wide range of acceptable criteria for the main types.

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/38/Supplement_1/S8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭uli84

Xofpod wrote: »
    All the advice I've had is that background eye retinopathy can be fluctuating and can be reversible. While obviously I don't know your individual situation, in my case my yearly retinopathy scan last year showed background retinopathy. A subsequent optician visit and this year's scan showed the all-clear again.

Ah ok, that’s great, in my case i think it’s 3rd year result with the background retinopathy but i’ve been diabetic for a long long time

Advertisement