Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭dar926

lukesmom wrote: »
    Going through an anxious period past few days. I'm scared that I could develop schizophrenia from having anxiety. I'm trawling through the web to see are there any cases of it. My mind won't shut up. I don't have schizophrenia but I'm terrified of getting it.

No as far as I Know anxiety can't lead to Schizophrenia they are both different Conditions and it is mainly a genetic condition that is hereditary "Anxiety is a behavior response rather than a mental disease, unlike schizophrenia; a disease characterized by the over production of serotonin, causing brain damage in certain areas of the brain, particularly those that govern social and behavioral stimuli"....I have GAD for over 15 years as well as Clinical Depression and never felt it might be going that way...You can develop a phobia around Schizophrenia but that doesnt mean you have it..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Yeah it's just my anxiety. I get bouts of it every month or so and I'm in one at the moment. Slap bang in the middle of one actually. Go away anxiety I hate you so so much. I feel so low today

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

I just want to say......I f***ing hate paranoia. I feel like it will eventually be the death of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

I can't do this again :( another downward spiral.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tecakes006

Hi all i posted just once here before about my anxiety issues, after 2 wkds of binge drinking ive finally realised i cannot do this anymore. I ve been severely anxious for 2 weeks now and like most a drink takes it all away but only to be left a million times worse with the hangover. Anyways after last wkd i went to my doctor who is arranging an app with a physcothearpist. I am not taking any medication i wasnt prescribed any from my doc just the therapy session. Today i just want to curl up and sleep for an eternity. Iam struggling to hold any sort of conversation at work and feel dreadful inside. iam really hoping i can get some way better by this session although its not for a few weeks. Have any of you done this without medication?

• Advertisement

tecakes006 wrote: »
    Hi all i posted just once here before about my anxiety issues, after 2 wkds of binge drinking ive finally realised i cannot do this anymore. I ve been severely anxious for 2 weeks now and like most a drink takes it all away but only to be left a million times worse with the hangover. Anyways after last wkd i went to my doctor who is arranging an app with a physcothearpist. I am not taking any medication i wasnt prescribed any from my doc just the therapy session. Today i just want to curl up and sleep for an eternity. Iam struggling to hold any sort of conversation at work and feel dreadful inside. iam really hoping i can get some way better by this session although its not for a few weeks. Have any of you done this without medication?

I cant say Ive done it without medication as I take meds for my clinical depression and Anxiety..But for my Anxiety I have done plenty of Therapy...Plenty of CBT and mindfulness and for me it worked wonders and I have managed to stay anxiety free for long periods thanks to it... I have also had full relapses along the way but this is generaly because I dont keep doing the things that keep me well...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Fell and hurt mt face yesterday, went to hospital but left again coz i thought they were all talking about or looking at me.. Ho hum. There's my update..

How is everyone else doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Fell and hurt mt face yesterday, went to hospital but left again coz i thought they were all talking about or looking at me.. Ho hum. There's my update..

How is everyone else doing?

My gp got me an urgent appointment in a psychiatric ward for tomorrow. Don't think I'll end up being admitted, but still slightly scary, although hope it might be the start of some sort of improvement in my life.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

titan18 wrote: »
    My gp got me an urgent appointment in a psychiatric ward for tomorrow. Don't think I'll end up being admitted, but still slightly scary, although hope it might be the start of some sort of improvement in my life.

Fingers are crossed for you, let me know how you get on..

Does anybody else here have GAD generalised anxiety disorder? This is what I was diagnosed with and I'm just wondering what you do to treat it? I'd be interested to hear other people's experiences. Personally I take 30mg citalopram and have done so (upping and lowering dosage throughout) for 5 years.

• Advertisement

Does anybody else here have GAD generalised anxiety disorder? This is what I was diagnosed with and I'm just wondering what you do to treat it? I'd be interested to hear other people's experiences. Personally I take 30mg citalopram and have done so (upping and lowering dosage throughout) for 5 years.

I don't specifically have this, but anxiety is a big part of my life, on serequel on top of the prozac to combat the panic etc. It holds it at bay for the most part..

As i said it's only part of my problem, and i don't have a true diagnosis yet so obviously different things for different people.. I have to say i hate the word mindfulness but i bought a book with a cd of exercises for the brain to help relax and it's not bad. Might be worth a try.

I don't specifically have this, but anxiety is a big part of my life, on serequel on top of the prozac to combat the panic etc. It holds it at bay for the most part..

As i said it's only part of my problem, and i don't have a true diagnosis yet so obviously different things for different people.. I have to say i hate the word mindfulness but i bought a book with a cd of exercises for the brain to help relax and it's not bad. Might be worth a try.

Thanks just going through a bout of it at present. Fog in my head and feel like rubbish.

My doctor recommended mindfulness and meditation on YouTube and I took a look. It's not bad but only took me so far. I probably need to put a lot more effort into it. She also wanted to up my dose to 40mg which is the maximum recommended dosage for anxiety but I said I'd wait and she if it improves on its own. If I go as high as 40mg then there is nowhere to go from there.

Thanks just going through a bout of it at present. Fog in my head and feel like rubbish.

My doctor recommended mindfulness and meditation on YouTube and I took a look. It's not bad but only took me so far. I probably need to put a lot more effort into it. She also wanted to up my dose to 40mg which is the maximum recommended dosage for anxiety but I said I'd wait and she if it improves on its own. If I go as high as 40mg then there is nowhere to go from there.

Youtube ok, but it's easier if you can have it on cd or mp3 player so you can listen, watching just feels like a distraction, i need a dark room to let the instructions drift over me..

Youtube ok, but it's easier if you can have it on cd or mp3 player so you can listen, watching just feels like a distraction, i need a dark room to let the instructions drift over me..

I have battled with GAD all my life as well and Mindfulness and CBT have been a life saver...But the thing is you only get out what you put in...If you work really hard and stick at it you will get results...That said Im also on alot of meds for Anxiety and Depression but they will only take you so far the rest you have to do yourself

Fingers are crossed for you, let me know how you get on..

Not being admitted anyway. Was weird out there, few people were admitted today, and families visiting, was slightly disturbing to see.

All I got was more medication and a long talk, and will be treated as an outpatient, and put on some waiting lists for treatment, so not ideal.

dar926 wrote: »
    I have battled with GAD all my life as well and Mindfulness and CBT have been a life saver...But the thing is you only get out what you put in...If you work really hard and stick at it you will get results...That said Im also on alot of meds for Anxiety and Depression but they will only take you so far the rest you have to do yourself

Learning that one myself, work needs to go in to get results out. Wasn't too aware of that on the prozac/depression side.. Did work at the mindfulness for anxiety, but if depression kicks in i've no motivation, cracking battles.

titan18 wrote: »
    Not being admitted anyway. Was weird out there, few people were admitted today, and families visiting, was slightly disturbing to see.

All I got was more medication and a long talk, and will be treated as an outpatient, and put on some waiting lists for treatment, so not ideal.

It can be a scary place, i've been to a couple, to visit mainly..

Now that you're an out-patient you'll have regular appointments and hopefully be prioritised for a talk therapy of some sort to work alongside drugs - well done for attending the appointment, that really can be the hardest part..

Learning that one myself, work needs to go in to get results out. Wasn't too aware of that on the prozac/depression side.. Did work at the mindfulness for anxiety, but if depression kicks in i've no motivation, cracking battles.

Well theats kinda where I am at the minute...I can control the anxiety but once the big D kicks in it all goes out the window...But its happened so often over the years I know the routine... Depression Kicks in..Anxiety Returns...Go into hospital...Dust myself off and start again...Get well for a period and then we do it all over again

It can be a scary place, i've been to a couple, to visit mainly..

Now that you're an out-patient you'll have regular appointments and hopefully be prioritised for a talk therapy of some sort to work alongside drugs - well done for attending the appointment, that really can be the hardest part..

Ya, she said they'd put me a waiting list for DBT treatment for my self harm, but it's a year long waiting list, which is a bit too long sadly. Hoping my GP can get me into something since nothing is really working atm. Hopefully, will be able to find something that works, or at least maybe a confirmed diagnosis

Can any of you resonate with me when I say that when I'm having a 'blip' as I call it, I fear I will NEVER come out of this episode as its just so intense?

• Advertisement

Can any of you resonate with me when I say that when I'm having a 'blip' as I call it, I fear I will NEVER come out of this episode as its just so intense?

I get it.. I truly do.. PM sent should you want. but otherwise i'll be here anyway..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

So sleepy but can't sleep.

Psych nor gp will give me anything for sleeping given my recent revelations.

So it's insomnia central.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Crying uncontrollably for the last hour, pretty much non-stop. Have a feeling this will be my last bad-bout however long it lasts. It's too much. And its not worth anything that I'm feeling this way.

I get it.. I truly do.. PM sent should you want. but otherwise i'll be here anyway..

Thanks I got your pm. It won't let me pm back I will have to check why I can't send pm's back. Good you understand it's horrible isn't it. I'm just going with the flow at the moment, trying to occupy myself until the fog passes over.

Crying uncontrollably for the last hour, pretty much non-stop. Have a feeling this will be my last bad-bout however long it lasts. It's too much. And its not worth anything that I'm feeling this way.

How are you this morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Having a bad time of it lately. Thinking of giving up on the PhD. Was actually in the student medical centre today and was going to ask about getting back into the counseling service but 2 girls came up behind me and I balked it.

Having a bad time of it lately. Thinking of giving up on the PhD. Was actually in the student medical centre today and was going to ask about getting back into the counseling service but 2 girls came up behind me and I balked it.

Don't give up on your phd. You should maybe call the medical centre and try get back into the counselling service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Don't give up on your phd. You should maybe call the medical centre and try get back into the counselling service.

I just hate what I'm working on and can't imagine having to stick more of it. I just want to be done with it, take a masters (if I get one, the idea of having to do a viva is making me just want to run away) and get on with my life. Due to some part of me I know I should go back to the counselling service.. It started working last time before I left it, but I hated going to it. The counsellor was so sympathetic and gentle and nice and for some reason that really didn't sit well with me. The other thing is that yesterday, for example, I woke up feeling fine but today and the day before yesterday I've been plagued with the fear. I'd feel like some kind of imposter if I went in feeling fine and gave out about been unhappy and all that. I'm quite sure there are plenty of people who actually need and want counselling who I'd be holding up from getting an appointment. I wish I could go home and wrap myself in a duvet.

I just hate what I'm working on and can't imagine having to stick more of it. I just want to be done with it, take a masters (if I get one, the idea of having to do a viva is making me just want to run away) and get on with my life. Due to some part of me I know I should go back to the counselling service.. It started working last time before I left it, but I hated going to it. The counsellor was so sympathetic and gentle and nice and for some reason that really didn't sit well with me. The other thing is that yesterday, for example, I woke up feeling fine but today and the day before yesterday I've been plagued with the fear. I'd feel like some kind of imposter if I went in feeling fine and gave out about been unhappy and all that. I'm quite sure there are plenty of people who actually need and want counselling who I'd be holding up from getting an appointment. I wish I could go home and wrap myself in a duvet.

Never mind what other people may or may not need. You have to look after yourself. The counsellor I'm sure will be well aware of the fact that people have bad and better days. Don't let this stop you from seeking the help you need, after all it was beginning to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Don't look at it like that, that's the perfect time to have a counselling session. When you're at your lowest, it's more difficult to make any changes in your life, or even see how things can improve. It's when you're "up" that you need to take advantage of the sessions.

I know what you mean about the counsellor being overly sympathetic, I felt exactly the same way. You could mention it to her/him, if you felt comfortable doing so. In my case, I mentioned it to my psychiatrist that I'd stopped going, I'd prefer someone a bit more blunt and direct, she asked if I'd prefer a male or female counsellor and the counsellor she recommended was excellent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement