Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rent : delay after the inventory of contents/damages?

Options
  • 20-04-2014 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi there,

I'm settling in Dublin and I need to know if I have a delay to mention (missed) damages after I signed the contract/inventory of contents/damages of the appartment. For example, in my country we have 1 month after signing the inventory to mention damages using a registered letter.
    If I have a delay, I would like to know the proper way to mention damages please : I think I should take photos, send them to the landlord by email and finally send a registered letter that would make reference to the email and its content (email date, email object, list of the photos' names ...).
    I tried to find some information about an eventual delay and how to proceed to mention damages but I couldn't find any.
    If a gentle soul would be so kind to help me, in particular I would feel relieved if you knew a website about the related Irish laws :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If you sign the lease and have already looked over the property you aren't really going to be able to say after a month that things were missing or broken when you moved in.

The stuff is there or it is not.
    It works or it doesn't.

Check over everything when viewing and take pics and notes if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Guii

Hi Punisher, thank you for your help. The landlord took some notes on a scrap of paper but the contract is not signed yet, she's supposed to send me the contract with the inventory in the following days. I sent her some emails that include many photos about things we didn't notice and I suggested to make a reference to the emails, instead of describing everything in her report. There are many stains and different signs of wear, I don't know how people manage to notice everything, that seems impossible to me (unless we would have taken 1 hour to do so). Thank you for your help :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Guii wrote: »
    Hi Punisher, thank you for your help. The landlord took some notes on a scrap of paper but the contract is not signed yet, she's supposed to send me the contract with the inventory in the following days. I sent her some emails that include many photos about things we didn't notice and I suggested to make a reference to the emails, instead of describing everything in her report. There are many stains and different signs of wear, I don't know how people manage to notice everything, that seems impossible to me (unless we would have taken 1 hour to do so). Thank you for your help :)

Have you moved into the property?

Yes I had. The process is actually not clean at all compared to what I was used to in my country but I was told that in Ireland, we really don't like paper work and things are different, so I don't know what to think :/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Guii wrote: »
    Yes I had. The process is actually not clean at all compared to what I was used to in my country but I was told that in Ireland, we really don't like paper work and things are different, so I don't know what to think :/

I *think* that essentially you have agreed by moving in that you are happy to rent the place, your best bet will be to keep a strict list of everything and send it to the landlord.

What sort of issues have you identified?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 sparts

Hi, you need to check everything,make a list and take photos ensuring that the information is included in the contract/itinerary that is signed by you and the landlord. This ensures that you can't be blamed or money taken from your deposit for these items when you decide to leave. Good luck in your new home.

First of all, thank you all for your help, it's difficult for a foreigner to understand the Irish laws and the cultural differences, to understand what I should accept and what I should not and so on.

@Stheno : it can be for example the bottom of the wooden doors, some wooden skirtings and the groove in the doorstep that are damaged/worn, some little stains on the walls and so on. It's mainly advanced/normal wear but it has not been notified. The landlord (it's a company) was just focus on the most important, for example if the furnitures were broken or not and the number of nails in the walls.
    The other joint-tenants told me she's honest and I would be inclined to believe them but in my country, no matter how honest they look, they (almost) always try to steal you as much money as they can and I'm very distrustful because of bad experiences.

@Sparts : it's what I wanted to do but if l must list every stains and piece of wall/door/furnitures that are worn/stained, it's going to be a very long list (and very time-consuming). Also, I don't know how to include the photos in the contract, if I must print every photos (there are 77 photos) it's going to be very expensive. How do you include digital/numeric photos in a contract? It's this kind of information I fail to find on the internet.

Advertisement