Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Difference between mainframe COBOL and VMS COBOL?

Options
  • 21-08-2013 9:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭

It's an academic question really, what's the difference from a developers pov?

I spent years developing in COBOL on OpenVMS, these days I sometimes see contract work for mainframe COBOL developers, which I have no experience of. Is it much different?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

It's an academic question really, what's the difference from a developers pov?

I spent years developing in COBOL on OpenVMS, these days I sometimes see contract work for mainframe COBOL developers, which I have no experience of. Is it much different?

It's years since I worked on either, but I suspect the main difference would be in the way programs are invoked and file(s) are referenced. Mainframes (tend to) use JCL, where are VMS uses (I think, stretching here) DCL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Yeah that's pretty much what I thought. Yes, it is DCL on VMS. So the code itself would be the same or very similar?

What about Microfocus COBOL?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Yeah that's pretty much what I thought. Yes, it is DCL on VMS. So the code itself would be the same or very similar?

What about Microfocus COBOL?

Can't comment, TBH, never worked on Microfocus. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I would imagine for a lot of recruiters OpenVMS=mainframe?

Sacrilege, I know.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I would imagine for a lot of recruiters OpenVMS=mainframe?

Sacrilege, I know.

Maybe. I don't know the answer to that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I'd say mainframe means IBM.

I think they call their mainframes zSeries now, but in my day it was a S/390.
    There were typically two distinct OS that you would find there; "VM/CMS" & MVS. These also have updated "z" names but they remain principally the same.

I never saw COBOL on the VAX but I did on other systems and there were only superficial differences between it and the COBOL on the IBM mainframes... though on the mainframe COBOL was nearly always accompanied by CICS to manage transactions - again I'm probably showing my age and the names are all different today; but my point really is that while the COBOL was very similar how to build & deploy your code differed greatly even between the two IBM (mainframe) OSes.

Still the pool of people with zSeries Cobol experience is probably quiet small (in Ireland?) so anyone with a lot COBOL experience might be acceptable.

I believe these new zSeries mainframes now act as host to many other virtual systems so you never know what OS is really required. And, as Tom says, mainframe might mean anything. To get past the recruiters just say yes you do have mainframe (VMS mainframe) experience :)

Thanks Croo, very informative answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

I'd almost forgotten I started out my IT life as a mainframe operator! Used to rent access from a state company and shared the resources across departments. It was a nightmare, full system backup took 12 hours! Load some tapes and head off for some pints.......dropping back in every couple of hours to load some more scratch and gander at the the green screen! Unreal when you think of what we deal with now!

/reminisce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

I do seem to remember that on Mainframe COBOL the "Report Writer" isn't available - or maybe it just wasn't installed on the server I worked on...

Advertisement