Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hiding files inside images (Steganography)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

kyub wrote: »
    This might get more interest over on the Information Security forum. ;)

I doubt it.

A web based solution would make more sense, because if I hack your computer and I see steganography tools installed then I will know you are using steganography and analyse all your pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

fergalr wrote: »

The owner of the volume could plausibility deny it, but the adversary will still suspect the existance of the message; so truecrypt, as a whole system, doesn't offer steganography.

Ill tell you what, make some memory dumps compress and encrypt them for security and add all your files in there for any serious software developer memory dumps are quite common and quite large in size :) good luck for anyone shifting through that load of muck! And not to mention if there is 20 memory dumps gl finding the right one!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭boarsboard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

srsly78 wrote: »
    Fergal TrueCrypt lets you give a "fake password" for $5 wrench scenarios, this gives access to a fake "secret" partition.

First off, to the best of my knowledge:

- For a given truecrypt container, there can be one 'standard' 'outer' volume, and one 'inner' 'hidden' volume.

- The truecrypt docs refer to those as 'standard' and 'hidden' volumes.
    http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/hidden-volume

So, you are saying, that you just give the password to the 'standard' 'outer' volume, and all your worries are over, Truecrypt has successfully protected you, and hence is equivalent to steganography?

My point is, that in this unfair and nasty world that we live in, if a bad guy is standing over you with a wrench, and you give him the password to the 'standard' volume, do you think all your worries are over? S/He decrypts the volume, and says 'Oh, that doesnt have the files we are looking for. Sorry about that, you can go now.'? Or, do you think they will say 'oh, I see you are using software which supports an additional hidden volume. Please give me the password for it.'

Now, thankfully, I live in a nice country like Ireland, where I would only be using truecrypt to stop someone who stole my laptop looking at my personal files, and where $5 wrenches are rare.

But, there are people who live in nastier parts of the world. If you live in one of those parts, the plausibility deniability of Truecrypt isn't going to help you, if the bad guys take your computer and see at the .tc files.

You might say 'well, perhaps if they just see jpegs on your computer, they'll suspect you have data hidden in the jpegs, and will interrogate you anyway?'

However, I would say that the [probability_of_hidden_data, given truecrypt] is very much greater than the [probability_of_hidden_data, given jpegs on computer]. I think it'd be hard to argue with that.

We are into pretty abstract distinctions, in questions of degree of security here. Thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

The installer won't work offline. Is it set up to phone home or something?

Edit: It's trying to connect to bi.bisrv.com if I'm reading wireshark correctly. What's that about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Edit: It's trying to connect to bi.bisrv.com if I'm reading wireshark correctly. What's that about?

Heh the plot thickens, as this all been an elaborate ruse? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

fergalr wrote: »
    While I agree with the last bit, about plausible deniability, I don't like describing truecrypt as offering steganography. (Maybe you agree?)

I get what you are saying and understand why you don't like the label, but hard to say yes or no in this case (or any semantic disputes). Your points are valid, but it assumes the adversary knows about TrueCrypt - they might not. If they think TrueCrypt is just any old HDD encryption software, the fake volume might fool them.

TrueCrypt themselves obviously consider it steganography, as they list this as one of the main features on the projects homepage.

Their is papers and software out their describing steganographic file systems, but I'm not sure if TrueCrypt is considered an implementation of such a concept.

I haven't used the installer myself, but if I had to guess, this probably isn't the fault of the OPs. The download is from Sourceforge, which has been wrapping a lot of software in installers later that includes adware.

http://www.ghacks.net/2013/07/17/sourceforges-new-installer-bundles-program-downloads-with-adware/

BI in the subdomain stands for Better Installer, I believe.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

nice simple project that has a little element of cool/fun, nice job.

Advertisement