Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's the worst cinema screen in Ireland?

Options
  • 21-05-2015 8:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭

Normally people ask what's the biggest and best cinema screen in Ireland but I remember seeing a picture taken during The Hobbit on some absolutely terrible cinema screen. The projector didn't come close to filling the screen and there was huge letterboxing and pillarboxing lol.

In Limerick a lot of the screens in Odeon and Omniplex could honestly be better and Showtime as well, but there are definitely way worse ones in other counties. Also the sound in some of these screens is honestly tragic. If cinemas are going to charge almost €10 per person then they should really try to justify those prices by keeping their setups up to date and well maintained.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There's a terrible screen in Santry's IMC Cinema, my nearest cinema; I think it's Screen 8, but it's a narrow corridor-shaped space with a screen at the front barely larger than the wall in your living-room. What compounds the terrible experience though is that the emergency exit is just below & to the left of the screen, so all throughout a movie your eye will be distracted by the glowing green sign sitting just on the edge of the picture. The few times I've been in Screen 8, that sign has driven me nuts.

To be fair their Screen 1 is pretty good, decent for catching a blockbuster on, but if something's on in Screen 8, you're better off going elsewhere or just waiting until the film comes out on DVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

the stella in rathmines...is it still open??

sticky floor, worn seats and the odour of cigarettes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

fryup wrote: »
    the stella in rathmines...is it still open??

sticky floor, worn seats and the odour of cigarettes

Its closed years now.

I remember back during a LOTR movie the ground at the screen was flooded..everyone had to sit at the back

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭techteacher

stillorgan was dodgy last time i was there but it was 3 years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

If something I really wanna see is only in the ifi and on screen 3, I won't bother going to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭dunworth1

In Limerick a lot of the screens in Odeon and Omniplex could honestly be better and Showtime as well, but there are definitely way worse ones in other counties. Also the sound in some of these screens is honestly tragic. If cinemas are going to charge almost €10 per person then they should really try to justify those prices by keeping their setups up to date and well maintained.

One of the screens in the omniplex is particularly bad very small

And there is an emergency exit sign directly below the screen.

I personally prefer odeon to showtime or omniplex

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If something I really wanna see is only in the ifi and on screen 3, I won't bother going to it.

Really? Screen 3 is my favourite in the IFI, comfortable and intimate, perfect for the sort of films they typically show in there. No better screen for a good three or four hour long arthouse film ;) Screen 2 on the other hand...

Can't say there's any cinema I'd consider an all out 'worst'. Some of the smaller screens in IMC Dun Laoghaire need a sound system upgrade, and you still get sound leakage in Screen from time to time. But I actively avoid Odeon cinemas. I've found their projection to be haphazard the few times I've been to one of their screens, but mostly it's the *shudder* non-tiered seating in some of their screens.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

For me the sound system has a lot to do with the quality of a cinema. The IMC in Dun Laoghaire has always been poor in this regard(although I haven't been there in years) Dundrum screens 1 & 4(I think, the big one downstairs) are fine with sound.

The sound system in the IMAX in cineworld is fecking amazing! The odeon sense cinema out by the point ain't bad either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Screen 2 in the IFI really needs a redesign. Nothing wrong with the projection or sound but it's either a case of sit in a cramped seat with neck strain and get kicked due to poor legroom or sit at the back and risk having to put up with the light off people's phones (which the IFI at least warn against but I've still had it disrupt a few times). Seeing I Am Cuba there was particularly uncomfortable. :pac:

I actually think screen 4 in Lighthouse is the ideal small cinema screen. Very comfy seats with good legroom plus the door is at the back so you hardly notice people come and go especially when down near the front. Besides does be nearly empty on afternoon showings too. Just roomier and more comfortable than even screen 3 of the IFI.

ktulu123 wrote: »
    For me the sound system has a lot to do with the quality of a cinema. The IMC in Dun Laoghaire has always been poor in this regard(although I haven't been there in years) .

That cinema would be my local and I've only ever had a bad experience in one of the lower level screens, for Fury, and part of that was likely down to the print they had. They've recently had a large overhaul of Screen One.

In my experience, the smaller screens of cinemas are the worst ones, usually because these are the first to fall into disrepair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

One of the upstairs screens in The Gate in Cork, think it's the #6 on the left of the concession stand.
    Horribly cramped seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Screen 8 (I think) in The Gaiety Sligo..

Went to see 'Boyhood' - the screen is actually above the fire exit! :eek:

This is the exact reason I now check the screen a movie is playing in online before going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

I find all the ifi cinemas in Dublin to be uncomfortable or average, it's a shame because miss out on great films. Has it had a refurbishment in the last three years? I might give it another go

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

The big screen in the IFI (screen 1?) is pretty cramped. I'm not a giant or anything, I'm just over 6 foot, but by the end of Kubricks 2001 I was totally wrecked. The other screens and seats are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Worse screen I ever experienced anywhere in the world is 3 or 4 (not sure the number) in Savoy, its at an angle whereas the projector is straight on, so that the picture isn't flush, resulting in subtitles etc being missing at the bottom, total disgrace, surprised no ones mentioned it. Like this:

jgmpzq.jpg[/URL]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Worse screen I ever experienced anywhere in the world is 3 or 4 (not sure the number) in Savoy, its at an angle whereas the projector is straight on, so that the picture isn't flush, resulting in subtitles etc being missing at the bottom, total disgrace, surprised no ones mentioned it. Like this:

jgmpzq.jpg[/URL]

Do people actually sit through that with no issue? If I paid to see a movie and walked in and saw that kind of bullsh!t I'd go back and get a refund and tell them the exact reason. How can any cinema manager be okay with leaving their setup like that?

Worse screen I ever experienced anywhere in the world is 3 or 4 (not sure the number) in Savoy,
    I think in layout they're just mirrors of each so it goes for both.

Speaking of screens that could use an upgrade 2 and 3 of The Screen are pretty poor. Walls are very thin leading to noise pollution from louder movies playing next door plus there's no curtains or partitions so movies often show letterboxed or worse yet windowboxed. Added to that they're positioned absurdly high and actually need a person to physically go in and turn the houselights off. The cinema was so poorly staffed last film I saw there that somebody didn't come in to turn off the house lights until an hour in!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    The big screen in the IFI (screen 1?) is pretty cramped. I'm not a giant or anything, I'm just over 6 foot, but by the end of Kubricks 2001 I was totally wrecked. The other screens and seats are fine.

Yeah, I'm just under 6 foot and find IFI Screen 1 a shocker to sit in; cramped and uncomfortable. Getting out from the middle is a social disaster. Say what you will about the cinema chains but at least they make some semblance of effort towards comfort.

The last time I saw a film in IFI Screen 1 was Blade Runner, and was the most painful, ear-splitting experience I've had in a cinema. The audio mix seemed to be screwed up, with the general volume set way beyond anything I could physically deal with - despite going out twice to complain and assured it had been reduced. Each swell of music or crash of action was painful. I left after about 20 minutes as it actually left me nauseous & faint. That has never happened before.

I love the idea of the IFI, and of all things their restaurant is quite decent (price and taste-wise), but any visit for their films has left me underwhelmed by their facilities at best, and, well, sick at worst. I'm sure others here would attest to great experiences, but too often I've felt the IFI put more stock into what they show rather than how they show it.

Agreed, if an arthouse film I want to see is playing I'll go to Lighthouse instead. Only really go there as a last resort or if it's convenient in terms of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Do people actually sit through that with no issue? If I paid to see a movie and walked in and saw that kind of bullsh!t I'd go back and get a refund and tell them the exact reason. How can any cinema manager be okay with leaving their setup like that?

After seen "Last King of Scotland" there ages ago with mates, I vowed never to go back, but forgot about that ****e screen and went to see "The Judge" there, as soon as the ads came on I said bollox!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Pavillions cinema in swords is pretty terrible in general. Must be the stuffiest screens I've ever been, and I don't know if they're cleaned or not, cos the floor and seats are always sticky.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

That's one thing I hate too, if a cinema is fecking roasting or the A/C is on too cold

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I just can’t endure Savoy 1 or Screen 1 in the IFI anymore. Sit ramrod straight and block the person behind you, or slouch. Either way you are going to be in physical pain for 2+ hours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Surprised with all the complaints for the Dublin ones, would've thought they'd all make better effort since there are so many to compete against.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I just can’t endure Savoy 1 or Screen 1 in the IFI anymore. Sit ramrod straight, or slouch and block the person behind you. Either way you are going to be in physical pain for 2+ hours.

I love the Savoy 1 but the IFI is a nightmare. Went to see the Book of Life there years ago and my back and legs were in bits by the time if was over. If you're above 5 10 I'd avoid the IFI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Worst cinema screen in Ireland? My vote goes to screen 1 at the IMC Dun Laoghaire.

I went there last night to see SPECTRE? Firstly, I like a movie good and loud but this was ridiculous, it caused me actual physical pain on several occasions, I saw both adults and children have to cover their ears at a few points in the film due to the ear splitting volume. Secondly, the seats. The cinema was revamped a while back and is now called 'Galactic' which apparently means it has fancy seats. Well these seats sort of rock back rather than recline which means you actually have to keep pressure on them in order to get them to stay back. The seat numbers are between the seats, so you can't tell if you are in the right one. By half way through the movie I was in serious physical pain. I had to limp back to my car from the pain in my back and my rear took about 15 minutes to regain feeling.

If screen one is supposed to be their best, God only knows what kind of torture awaits you in their inferior smaller screens.

I have already pre-booked seats for 'The Force Awakens' in the IMC. I am now giving these away to a friend as there is nothing on earth that will ever make me return to the IMC. The last four times I have been there I have had a bad experience. It's time for me to try Dundrum instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Some of the screens they have in swords, ugh.

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    Worst cinema screen in Ireland? My vote goes to screen 1 at the IMC Dun Laoghaire.

I went there last night to see SPECTRE? Firstly, I like a movie good and loud but this was ridiculous, it caused me actual physical pain on several occasions, I saw both adults and children have to cover their ears at a few points in the film due to the ear splitting volume. Secondly, the seats. The cinema was revamped a while back and is now called 'Galactic' which apparently means it has fancy seats. Well these seats sort of rock back rather than recline which means you actually have to keep pressure on them in order to get them to stay back. The seat numbers are between the seats, so you can't tell if you are in the right one. By half way through the movie I was in serious physical pain. I had to limp back to my car from the pain in my back and my rear took about 15 minutes to regain feeling.

If screen one is supposed to be their best, God only knows what kind of torture awaits you in their inferior smaller screens.

I have already pre-booked seats for 'The Force Awakens' in the IMC. I am now giving these away to a friend as there is nothing on earth that will ever make me return to the IMC. The last four times I have been there I have had a bad experience. It's time for me to try Dundrum instead.
    ...and some of the downstairs screens have god awful sound too.

Screens 2 and 3 are grand though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭redt0m

Worse screen I ever experienced anywhere in the world is 3 or 4 (not sure the number) in Savoy, its at an angle whereas the projector is straight on, so that the picture isn't flush, resulting in subtitles etc being missing at the bottom, total disgrace, surprised no ones mentioned it. [/URL]

Jeez, is this screen STILL like this? It was like that 20 years ago!

Advertisement