Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

News and views on Greystones harbour and marina [SEE MODERATOR WARNING POST 1187]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

Well that is a bit of a rant and off the topic, but I understand your anger. However, the people of Greystones did vote for Ciaran Hayden and you are part of that collective (whether your actual vote was for him or not). Perhaps you should run yourself in the next council election or maybe propose a better alternative. Cllnr Hayden is no nit wit....believe me :) . However, if he was and there are plenty....nit wits get into office because the majority of the electorate vote for nit wits....unfortunately.....only nit wits vote for nit wits I suppose....

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

He does a very good impersonation of a nit-wit.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

Point taken. He may not be a Nit Wit he in fact is probably a very clever man - but I still dont like his attitude or his views, he is entitled to have them and I am entitled to voice my opinion against him and would have no hesitation in voicing them to him directly but I fear I am so angry at all politicians at the moment I would just loose the run of myself.:o

Sorry about going off topic and ranting everyone!! I shall go now and calm myself down by taking a run naked in the snow!!!LOL:D

Sparks115 wrote: »

Sorry about going off topic and ranting everyone!! I shall go now and calm myself down by taking a run naked in the snow!!!LOL:D

That would probably get you a few votes if you decide to run in the next council election!!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8 grace143

Has anyone ever checked out the revenue site and noticed Mr Haydens status regarding directorship http://www.cro.ie/search/DisqualifiedSearch [/URL]
    HE IS RESTRICTED UNDER SECTION 150 OF THE COMPANIES ACT, 1990.

And this man is the Mayor of Greystones???:

Now, that is just appalling and just goes to prove the fact that anyone can hold office in this country without their affairs in order and that is a complete disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

from the man who had an issue with people protesting outside the house of one the biggest contributing Nit Wits to our countries demise Mr Sean Fitzpatrick. He actually had the gall to write this again proving the point these people look after each other no matter what!! I say Shame on you Mr Hayden Shame on you!!!

http://ciaranhayden.com/media/?p=576

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

This is starting to read like the political forum again.

If it cant be kept on topic, it will be closed.

grace143 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever checked out the revenue site and noticed Mr Haydens status regarding directorship http://www.cro.ie/search/DisqualifiedSearch [/URL]

Now, that is just appalling and just goes to prove the fact that anyone can hold office in this country without their affairs in order and that is a complete disgrace.

Strange that this is the only post this person has even made.....

....in a country where entrepreneurial businesses are going bust all over the place, are you saying anybody who has been director of a company that subsequently became insolvent should be barred from public office indefintely?

This thread has gone way off the intended topic....apologies on my behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Will an Bord Pleanala have any further say in the development expansion? I note one poster refers to "adjudication" but I thought the process used was to avoid further referrals to the Bord.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Mr Posh

Back on topic:

I thought this was a dam good response which some what exposes the Mayor’s smoke and mirrors act

Let’s not forget the mayor of Greystones is no more democratically elected by the people than the other 8 individuals on the council

http://www.greystonesguide.com/articles/article/6961207/150150.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

danjo wrote: »
    Will an Bord Pleanala have any further say in the development expansion? I note one poster refers to "adjudication" but I thought the process used was to avoid further referrals to the Bord.
    From the Irish Times report on Tuesday :-
    "The latest changes were also made under part eight of the planning Act which provides for public consultation but does not provide for an appeal process.
    Part eight is a section frequently used by local authorities when they are seeking planning permission for developments that do not require an environmental impact assessment.
    However, council spokesman Seán Quirke said the use of the part eight process on this occasion had already been referred to An Bord Pleanála by “two individuals” who made submissions during the public consultation process.
    Mr Quirke said An Bord Pleanála would now have to adjudicate on whether the use of part eight by the council was appropriate."

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

Mr Quirke is not quite accurate here. The Bord will not rule on the part 8. It will rule on whether the plan which the councillors voted in requires an Environmental Impact Statement.

However this is all entirely academic. What the Board decides (and when it decides it) is irrelevant. What some councillors dont seem to be able to grasp (for whatever reason) is that there is only one entity which will decide whther this project wil go ahead and that is NAMA. The developers can no longer finance the project so NAMA must decide whether to provide funds for the medical center and the marine club facilities. If it decides not to then the project is stopped.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Blanchflower

Fiachra2 wrote: »
    Mr Quirke is not quite accurate here. The Bord will not rule on the part 8. It will rule on whether the plan which the councillors voted in requires an Environmental Impact Statement.

However this is all entirely academic. What the Board decides (and when it decides it) is irrelevant. What some councillors dont seem to be able to grasp (for whatever reason) is that there is only one entity which will decide whther this project wil go ahead and that is NAMA. The developers can no longer finance the project so NAMA must decide whether to provide funds for the medical center and the marine club facilities. If it decides not to then the project is stopped.

And as NAMA needs cash and substantial cash cash at that in a very short timescale (3 to 5 year time frame) and as there is no prospect of substantial cash being generated in that time frame from the development on the harbour at Greystones (it is now almost a greenfield site) NAMA will not fund the development. Therefore the project is now effectively STOPPED.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

And as NAMA needs cash and substantial cash cash at that in a very short timescale (3 to 5 year time frame) and as there is no prospect of substantial cash being generated in that time frame from the development on the harbour at Greystones (it is now almost a greenfield site) NAMA will not fund the development. Therefore the project is now effectively STOPPED.

Care to take a wager on that? Rumour mill in full flow that the marina is opening for next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

My bet is that the development has NOT stopped. In some form or another it will not be left as it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

5249854330_b1f67ed1eb_z.jpg
    DSC_7014 by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

ha ha ha!

Nice picture John, it sums up the whole thing pretty well.

Dyflin wrote: »
    Care to take a wager on that? Rumour mill in full flow that the marina is opening for next summer.
    A marina is a harbour with wharfs keeping boats and yachts and with services for recreational boating. A marina may have refueling, washing and repair facilities, ship chandlers, stores and restaurants. A marina may include ground facilities such as parking lots for vehicles and boat trailers. Slipways (or boat ramps) transfer a trailered boat into the water. A marina may have a boat hoist well (a traveling crane) operated by service personnel. A marina may have out-of-water-storage (drystack) — particularly useful out-of-season, and important where water freezes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marina

So it depends on what your definition of a "marina" is Dyfin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

So it depends on what your definition of a "marina" is Dyfin.

What's yours?

A marina is a harbour with wharfs keeping boats and yachts and with services for recreational boating. A marina may have refueling, washing and repair facilities, ship chandlers, stores and restaurants. A marina may include ground facilities such as parking lots for vehicles and boat trailers. Slipways (or boat ramps) transfer a trailered boat into the water. A marina may have a boat hoist well (a traveling crane) operated by service personnel. A marina may have out-of-water-storage (drystack) — particularly useful out-of-season, and important where water freezes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

grace143 wrote: »

Langerland wrote: »
    ....in a country where entrepreneurial businesses are going bust all over the place, are you saying anybody who has been director of a company that subsequently became insolvent should be barred from public office indefintely?
    Not commenting on any individual case here but....It is illegal for a bankrupt person to be a TD; this is an ancient principle based on the idea that their vote would be too easily bought.

Nowadays however, a good accountant will make sure that a limited company (and possibly any creditors too) go into liquidation long before the personal wealth of directors is affected. Somebody always has to pay for a credit default in the end though, hence we have Nama and the IMF and indeed the stalled Greystones Harbour development.

• Advertisement

What's yours?

I am expecting a "WORLDCLASS MARINA" as promised by those who campaigned for it.
    We are very excited about the prospect of delivering a world class marina - Paraic Keogh of Sispar (Greystones harbour newsletter - May 2010 - Issue 4

To be WORLDCLASS it should be something special and not just a couple of breakwaters and some sea water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Only two things are certain in all this;

1. When the hoardings do finally come down, the reality will fall far short of the original hype.
    2. Opinion will continue to be divided as to whether the new harbour is an improvement on the old one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I am expecting a "WORLDCLASS MARINA" as promised by those who campaigned for it.

To be WORLDCLASS it should be something special and not just a couple of breakwaters and some sea water.

You won't get a world class marina, see my previous post as to why.

By the sounds of it you will get functioning and floating carpark/marina for boats. And as a boat owner, that ticks the box of 'marina' for me ;)

It now appears that Derek Mitchell is blaming An Bord Pleanala on the stalled harbour project. In the typical style of the Irish political class the fiasco on the harbour is everyones fault but his. If this man had listened to the people of Greystones who wanted a smaller harbour the project would have been completed a long time ago and everyone would be happy. But did he listen? You bet he diden't and now look at the mess he's gotten us into. From this day forth this white elephent will be known as "Mitchell's Folly"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Sorry but you can't abdicate responsibility for your part in this fiasco, nor can anyone who was in Greystones during the Celtic Tiger. You all voted for these fellas, lorded them as heroes when things were on the up. Good old Derek he got my path fixed, good old Ciaran he put some speed bumps in... The harbour will be known as the enduring mark of Celtic Tiger greed and stupidity.

It will either be finished or it wont, but discussing it ad nausem does nothing but betray an unwillingness to accept the realities of Ireland 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Sorry but you can't abdicate responsibility for your part in this fiasco, nor can anyone who was in Greystones during the Celtic Tiger. You all voted for these fellas, lorded them as heroes when things were on the up. Good old Derek he got my path fixed, good old Ciaran he put some speed bumps in... The harbour will be known as the enduring mark of Celtic Tiger greed and stupidity.

It will either be finished or it wont, but discussing it ad nausem does nothing but betray an unwillingness to accept the realities of Ireland 2010.

I am not sure about others but I never considered them heroes.
    As for Derek fixing the path, seems it took 9 years ( as per his website) - hardly trojan work.
    If it is not discussed it will not get finished.
    Perhaps the election might be the catalyst to spurn some progress in getting the hoardings removed at the very least

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

All valid points guys but we agreed that we would keep this thread strictly on the harbour. Otherwise it turns into a fight! Personally with an election around the corner I think it woud be a good idea to start a thread on the merits of the various local representatives who may or may not run. But lets keep it seperate.

John it would be great if you could get a few shots of how level the site is now. I am starting to get a good feeling that, while we might not be getting the public square that was promised, we may-by default- be about to get one of the biggest seaside parks on the east coast.

5268522534_ca41fe3e35_z.jpg
    DSC_1224 by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

5267916527_fddd88b2f1_z.jpg
    DSC_1226 by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

• Advertisement

5267920845_d2233dc7b2_z.jpg
    DSC_1232 by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

Advertisement