Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

letters are slow to appear as I type?

• 08-10-2008 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

The past few days i've noticed that whenever I type(including now) the letters "lag" before they appear on screen. So for instance I could have the word "experience" typed but then I'll have to wait a few seconds for it to appear one letter a time on screen.

Anyone know what could be causing this? I don't think it could be my broadband connection as its running fine and fast.

any solutions guys/girls?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭dubmick

sounds like your pc is struggling to keep up, are you running a lot of applications at the same time?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Also consider that there might be a slight possibility that there is a memory resident virus effecting your system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

regarding running alot of applications at the same time....no. only Internet explorer.

And regarding the resident virus...how do i go about this? I have virus protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

Is it the same for local documents e.g. notepad/Word, etc or just web pages ?
    Also are you using a laptop or desktop ? If desktop , what type of keyboard connection . Wireless , PS/2 or USB ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Is your PC old or new?
    Have you installed and unstalled loads of programs over the last while?
    Have you run a virus check, adware check and spyware check recently? What software do you use for this?

• Advertisement

Run a product like windowwasher too.
    Your hard-drive might be filling up with too much temp junk.

No virus app is 100% proof. Are you updating it with definations regularly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

sounds like the op got a celeron......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

sounds like the op got a celeron......:rolleyes:

Lol ! Too soon to rule it out , that's for sure ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

right click "my computer" and tell us what your system setup is and lets see is your system struggling to keep up.

nessyguin wrote: »
    Is it the same for local documents e.g. notepad/Word, etc or just web pages ?
    Also are you using a laptop or desktop ? If desktop , what type of keyboard connection . Wireless , PS/2 or USB ?

its happening on both web pages and notepad. I'm using a dell xps m1710 laptop which is about 1.5 years old.

the typing lag seems to happen after every couple of words..and lasts a few words then goes back to normal. its really annoying me.

• Advertisement

lafortezza wrote: »
    Is your PC old or new?
    Have you installed and unstalled loads of programs over the last while?
    Have you run a virus check, adware check and spyware check recently? What software do you use for this?

PC is only 1.5 years old. i use avast as my virus software.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

its happening on both web pages and notepad. I'm using a dell xps m1710 laptop which is about 1.5 years old.

the typing lag seems to happen after every couple of words..and lasts a few words then goes back to normal. its really annoying me.

I am guessing its XP you are running (not clearly stated anywhere)

Ok, straight away, do this .... Run Disk Cleanup

- Click Start.
    - Click All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Disk Cleanup.
    - Disk cleanup will calculate the free space on your computer, which may take a few minutes.
    - After the calculation is complete, check all the checkboxes
    - Click OK and Yes when prompted to delete files. Disk cleanup will delete the files and close automatically when finished.

Then Run Disk Defrag

- Click Start.
    - Click All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Disk Defrag
    - Select C: Drive and click 'Defragment'

Reboot you PC and see how you go with that first. If it still happens then its definitely a virus hogging resources.

Cork Skate wrote: »
    I am guessing its XP you are running (not clearly stated anywhere)

Ok, straight away, do this .... Run Disk Cleanup

- Click Start.
    - Click All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Disk Cleanup.
    - Disk cleanup will calculate the free space on your computer, which may take a few minutes.
    - After the calculation is complete, check all the checkboxes
    - Click OK and Yes when prompted to delete files. Disk cleanup will delete the files and close automatically when finished.

Then Run Disk Defrag

- Click Start.
    - Click All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Disk Defrag
    - Select C: Drive and click 'Defragment'

Reboot you PC and see how you go with that first. If it still happens then its definitely a virus hogging resources.

yes i've done this, and also did a system restore point, but still the same annoying lag every couple of lines of typing. And also the mouse scroll lags as well. its beyond a joke.

Biggins wrote: »
    Run a product like windowwasher too.
    Your hard-drive might be filling up with too much temp junk.

No virus app is 100% proof. Are you updating it with definations regularly?

I use avast and yes i update it regularly.

I use avast and yes i update it regularly.

Get ad-aware, update its definitions and run that too. here: http://lavasoft.com/single/trialpay.php

Folk have different feelings about Avast (but I won't go off subject and dig them up here), just suffice to say, if you can get even an other virus checker and run that too on your machine, it might help too.

What one checker won't find, another might.

How come when I use the guest account there is no lag what so ever when I type...then when I come back into my own account the lag is back?

What are the solutions to this little annoying problem? I've ran a disc cleaner and defrag on the machine twice and still this has not cleared up the problem.

How come when I use the guest account there is no lag what so ever when I type...then when I come back into my own account the lag is back?...

That just further goes to show that the matter is software related, not hardware (harddrive) related.

Check the following also:
    Go to C:\WINDOWS\system32
    There go find dxdiag.exe and open
    Then goto the Display tab
    Enable Direct 3D acceleration, and possible the direct draw and AGP texture acceleration.
    Click save all information and your done, you probably won't even have to restart.

I'm trying to narrow done the possibilities for you at the mo.

That just further goes to show that the matter is software related, not hardware (harddrive) related.

Check the following also:
    Go to C:\WINDOWS\system32
    There go find dxdiag.exe and open
    Then goto the Display tab
    Enable Direct 3D acceleration, and possible the direct draw and AGP texture acceleration.
    Click save all information and your done, you probably won't even have to restart.

I'm trying to narrow done the possibilities for you at the mo.

Yes I've done that now. The direct 3D acceleration and the other two options were already enabled?

That just leaves memory robbing/hogging applications and/or a viral problem.

Around the time the lagging started, up to a week before that, did you install any new applications?

Further thought: Do you know how to bring up a current list of items running on your system?
    If not, get something like this: http://www.download.com/Startup-Master/3000-2094_4-10568256.html?tag=mncol&cdlPid=10745616

Use it to list your apps that are kicking in at start up.
    If you will post that list in here, it would help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Folk have different feelings about Avast (but I won't go off subject and dig them up here), just suffice to say, if you can get even an other virus checker and run that too on your machine, it might help too.

What one checker won't find, another might.

Very bad advise there, You can't have 2 anti-virus programs running together without conflicts, You can however run several anti-spyware programs with an anti-virus.

I'd suggest You run Hijack this and post Your results in a new thread in this forum, the guys there will sort it out.

• Advertisement

That just leaves memory robbing/hogging applications and/or a viral problem.

Around the time the lagging started, up to a week before that, did you install any new applications?

Further thought: Do you know how to bring up a current list of items running on your system?
    If not, get something like this: http://www.download.com/Startup-Master/3000-2094_4-10568256.html?tag=mncol&cdlPid=10745616

Use it to list your apps that are kicking in at start up.
    If you will post that list in here, it would help.

yeah i know how to bring up a startup list...but how do I post it here? can't copy and paste it i presume?

Try a screen grab utility or press "Prt Sc" on your keyboard, paste it into "Paint" or similar and save it as a jpeg.
    Upload the jpeg with a service such as http://tinypic.com

heres the list of my start ups.

I also have noticed a big decrease in my broadband download speeds? Would this also be as a result of the lag?

Holy crap. You have way too much stuff at start up.

Going through the list now...

Untick the following:

The first one that is blank
    Next two that is Adobe related
    Bluetooth device one, unless its REALLY needed.
    Creative Director
    Dell Network Assistant
    Dell Support
    Google Desktop search (do you REALLY need this?)
    ModemonHold (!!!)
    NV Hotkey
    PCM Service
    Quicktime Task
    Sunjavaupdatesched
    HP software update
    UVS 10 Preload (this is a memory hog in itself)
    WMAAD
    Sclauncher

...to begin with.

There are others in there that are NOT needed at start up.
    If you want to start something, just start it up the normal way as we all do.
    Most of these things don't have to be kicking in right away just because the pc is starting up.

You have Avast and McAfee (spam killer) running at the same time.
    THAT WILL NOT HELP YOUR SYSTEM.
    (Both are memory resident programs that consistently check everything passing through - every signal, every byte.
    If they are always checking on changes, they can cause one another to get into a consistent loop)

Still going through the list...

Another conflict:
    You have two apps trying to do the same job roughly at the same time.
    Startupmaster and Speedoptimizer!
    Untick BOTH
    (Once you have used one or the other to scan such a list as posted, the app saves the changes anyway.
    There is no need for both then to be running unless both are trying to play around with the memory and all thats within it, which will THEN be watched by your two spam checkers and virus checkers also running at the same time!)

Is your machine a Dell or a Compaq notebook?
    I ask cos' SynTPEnh is related to the touchpad and some claim its un-necessary and a memory hog too.
    I ask cos you have also Logitech setpoint running too concerning this as part of its setup.

Do you need nWiz.exe? A network utility.

I'd say as a safe bet, it takes about at least 4 minutes for you to be able to use your system from pressing "Turn on" with your present setup and all ticked.

:eek: so this is where the problem lies i take it? what a stupid c££t i am! :confused:

yeah my download speed is def affected(probably due to this lag) as well the past few days.

When you untick some of the above - do not do a quick reboot.
    Shut down and leave for at least 30 seconds minimum, then turn on.

See the updated info above about memory related apps.
    A full cold re-start is needed here.

Untick the following:

The first one that is blank
    Next two that is Adobe related
    Bluetooth device one, unless its REALLY needed.
    Creative Director
    Dell Network Assistant
    Dell Support
    Google Desktop search (do you REALLY need this?)
    ModemonHold (!!!)
    NV Hotkey
    PCM Service
    Quicktime Task
    Sunjavaupdatesched
    HP software update
    UVS 10 Preload (this is a memory hog in itself)
    WMAAD
    Sclauncher

...to begin with.

There are others in there that are NOT needed at start up.
    If you want to start something, just start it up the normal way as we all do.
    Most of these things don't have to be kicking in right away just because the pc is starting up.

You have Avast and McAfee (spam killer) running at the same time.
    THAT WILL NOT HELP YOUR SYSTEM.
    (Both are memory resident programs that consistently check everything passing through - every signal, every byte.
    If they are always checking on changes, they can cause one another to get into a consistent loop)

Another conflict:
    You have two apps trying to do the same job roughly at the same time.
    Startupmaster and Speedoptimizer!
    Untick BOTH
    (Once you have used one or the other to scan such a list as posted, the app saves the changes anyway.
    There is no need for both then to be running unless both are trying to play around with the memory and all thats within it, which will THEN be watched by your two spam checkers and virus checkers also running at the same time!)

Is your machine a Dell or a Compaq notebook?
    I ask cos' SynTPEnh is related to the touchpad and some claim its un-necessary and a memory hog too.
    I ask cos you have also Logitech setpoint running too concerning this as part of its setup.

Do you need nWiz.exe? A network utility.

I'd say as a safe bet, it takes about at least 4 minutes for you to be able to use your system from pressing "Turn on" with your present setup and all ticked.

I'll get to work ticking off all those you said and get back to you.

My machine is a dell xps m1710 laptop.

many thanks for the help so far dude.

no problem, will be here all night.

BINGO!! typing lag completely gone!! :)

Thanks a million for that great guideline. I still seem to have a slowed broadband download speed....do you think this could be related or an issue with eircom?

• Advertisement

I'd glad to hear about the lag. Well done.

Speed is always a problem with eircom.
    Check out www.speedtest.net and see what results they give you.

Advertisement