Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Insurance

• 01-08-2006 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi there i am foreigner here and i am 19y old i have full license b-cat (not irish ) and i wonder whats the cheapset insurance i can get for a car with about 1.5~1.3engine and car under 90-94 year old i was looking for that on internet and i couldnt find nothing about that :confused: because as i heared it costs about 3000e and maybe there are other cheaper ways to get insuranced like second driver or etc.thanks for help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,788 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hi,
    How long are you going to be in Ireland for? It may work out cheaper to just get it from your own country if you're not here for long.

I'm with Britton Insurance, if you're female with a full license, then it will probably only cost about €1,000 - €1,500 on a 1.3-1.5.

If you're going to be staying in Ireland, you should look into doing the advanced driving course called Ignition. Hibernian offer it and you can arrange it with companies such as Tesco Insurance and I think you can arrange it with Britton Insurance too? You'll get a 20-40% discount off your premium.

try www.brittoninsurance.com or www.tesco.ie (look for the insurance part). If you try the motor forum (rec > motors > motors) you'll get more info on other companies in the stickied threads. This will probably be moved there anyway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

quinn-direct.ie was the cheapest for me

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Is this not in the wrong place?

Personally Quinn Direct over cheap inusrance but crap CS

I went with QD for my first policy, they were the only ones who would insure me on a provisional. Once that was up, their prices were nowhere near as good as Britton or Tescos. QD are good for first timers, but once you're up and running, you can get cheaper insurance. For the OP with a full license and being female, I think she could deffo get it cheaper than QD. Still, give them all a ring and see who can beat who and give you the best deal:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Pinkiss

i am male :) i thought so that its a wrong section to post but still thanks for help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

maybe a silly question, but where do you get a FULL license with 19 years of age?

You might want to ring around a few insurers, e.g. Hibernian, Axa, QD, OneDirect, a few brokers...but it won't be cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,762 ✭✭✭✭muffler

galah wrote:
    maybe a silly question, but where do you get a FULL license with 19 years of age?
    After you pass the test :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

ok...fair enough!

I was just wondering, cause even in Germany, you would have to wait for two years until you get your FULL license, after you pass the test...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

muffler wrote:
    After you pass the test :D

You get it when you past your test. But where you get it now thats whole other sotry!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Moving this to Commuting/Transport - you may get more information there. OP- I would also suggest you check out the Biz/Bargain Alerts - its possible that you may find relavent info there.

Shane.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

galah wrote:
    ok...fair enough!

I was just wondering, cause even in Germany, you would have to wait for two years until you get your FULL license, after you pass the test...

I had a full Irish Licence class B at age 18. I got my provisional shortly after my birthday, applied immediately for the test and randomly out of the blue was offered a cancellation. I passed the test before I was 18.5 years (and subsequently the advanced test at age 19). I've subsequently added other categories to my full licence.

pinkiss, do the ignition course, and with a full license you should only end up paying less than €1,500 too:) I'm paying just over €1,000 at 21 years old, 22 now but I was 21 at the time of payment. Try brittoninsurance and tesco:)

Advertisement