Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dreamweaver-generated HTML

• 13-10-2001 1:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Bosco

Hi folks,

I have to make a front-end for a JSP/Servlet system. I know some HTML, but I have a lot to learn. I was told that Dreamweaver can help me do what I want to do.

The question is, how tidy is the HTML code that Dreamweaver produces? Will I be able to very quickly pick up the HTML I need to learn by messing with Dreamweaver and examining the code produced, or is the code too messy and confusing to make this much of an option?

Would I be better off learning to use UltraDev, and if so, how easy to decipher is the code that this produces? With respect to displaying and modifying tables of data in a web browser, is there very much that UltraDev can do for me that Dreamweaver can't?

Thanks

Bosco

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

DW is definitely your man. It's second to *none* in the WYSIWYG market.
    I don't know about learning HTML from it though. Your probably better off having a look around webmonkey.com, or getting yourself a good reference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Yup, Dreamweaver is excellent for making code. Everything's spaced and coloured to help you find everything. Some purists complain about it like they complain about any HTML generator but it is really second to none.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I concur. Dreamweaver takes a little time to get used to but it's so worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

yep, what they said above. it sorts out the code which you dont have to worry about and lets you get on with your design woes. great stuff

adnans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭ Brady Shrilling Womb

Originally posted by Bosco

The question is, how tidy is the HTML code that Dreamweaver produces?

Very Tidy!
    No unecessary cráp and you can always use the tidy html feature if you need to:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

actually, DW will even tidy up the html crap the MS Office "save as html" options throw in there.

Yep its the import "word HTML" feature-
    ie. in word save as webpage blahblah

Good for tables etc.- cause word is gooodd for tables!
    If want to see the utter crap m$ have in their word "webpages" just save a blank one a you'll see what I mean;)

Tell me about it!
    Some n00b script kiddies in my school did a website entirely generated by MS Office. The code was hideously incomprehensible. We're talking 10 lines to call a JPEG here...

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭fizzy

DW also comes with a great HTML reference so you can quickly access information on certain tags when you need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

Webmaster In A Nutshell, O'Reilly
    W3 School CSS Guide
    WebMonkey

HTML is trivial to learn. A large proportion of those who "know" it can't implement it properly or effectively.

If you can, however, it's a pleasure to work with. Much more so than any WYSIWYG editor.

I would suggest that if you intend to use a WYSIWYG editor, that you learn at least some HTML first. Do not rely on the editor to teach you. It's existance is pretty much based around doing the opposite.

If you're serious about design (and obviouisly development)you're going to end up needing to know it in any case, at some stage. You'll need to correct mistakes, cross-browser issues, etc. by hand...

-Ross

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

As above.

Dreamweaver is so good a package, it's made very simple for you.
    I am learning to build web pages on it right now and am amazed at what you can produce in a few hours work.

About your Q though, DW has an absolute gem of a feature or two for you.

1. The code view: lcick on this button and you can see what u have just put onto the screen....hence learning the code.

2. The code manager: it checks code for you so you will know if you went wrong somewhere.

Enjoy it......coz it's brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by beaver
    HTML is trivial to learn.

No it's not.

.logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Yes it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

It's easy to learn, it's hard to use it well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Proper HTML is difficult to learn and hard to implement correctly. Some of you seem to think being able to put a url and an image on a page is all there is to HTML. Ye have alot to learn. I hope ye find everything so "easy".

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

Hi logic1,

I found HTML easy to learn. I found that it took me some time to learn to use it effectively. It then took some more time to learn to use it well and efficiently with CSS and Javascript.

As to your disparaging comments about what some people think HTML is: I've been doing it professionally for some time now. I'm very happy and so are my clients and collegues. I also enjoy quite a lot of money from it.

I hope I've clarified my position for you. I look forward to learning "alot" from you in the future.

I love encouraging posts.

-Ross

Come on logic1 it's hardly rocket science.
    The syntax is simple and the elements used are straightforward enough.
    But I know where you're coming from, someone who slaps a piece of sh*te together in a couple of days and then says they know HTML and it was easy is just a moron. It takes years of experience and practice before you can say you really know it.
    There are a lot of tricks to HTML that you learn over the years.
    Besides it's not just a knowledge of the language that makes you good at it, it's what you do and don't do with it that counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

HTML??? Difficult to learn??? my arse, it is!

HTML is piss easy to learn and piss easy to implement. It's nowhere near as involved or difficult to master as a programming language (HTML isn't "programming" - it's barely a "language" as it is... it's a collection of markup tags and delimiters). As long as you are interested, want to learn it, and are not a complete dolt, you shouldn't have any problems with it.

However, some people are more pre-disposed or inclined towards design... some are more naturally artistic than others. Being a good programmer absolutely does not infer that you will be a good web designer/developer. It'd certainly help to have a good eye for branding, layout, colours, design, etc. and to be knowledgable in user-friendliness and usability - if you're going to be a web designer... i.e.: knowledge of HTML/Javascript/etc. does not necessarily a web designer make... - couple it with the skills I've just mentioned plus a fairly wide range of technical skills (server administration, some dB skills, scripting, etc.) and you're getting somewhere.

As regards the web development tools you choose, you could do no better than to choose Macromedia Dreamweaver, which has been the king of the web dev app hill for quite some time, - the latest version (version 4) being the greatest. Conversely, you could do practically no worse than to choose Microsoft's Frontpage for authoring web sites... unless of course you stoop so low as to use something like Word or PowerPoint for it... - fine, - alright, - these packages have their places, - and everyone has to start somewhere, - but if you intend to do it properly, go with the best from the start - ... don't use a package which could effectively impede your learning. "If you're gonna do it, do it right", as the man says ;)

Dreamweaver's generating and formatting of HTML is second to none. Unlike -say- Word or FrontPage, it doesn't over-do it, and produces no 'fatty' extra code, keeping file sizes as low as possible.

As for HTML itself, I found it easy to learn - and easy to keep up with through all the new versions and tag additions... but then again, I started working with it when it was at a fairly early version ("IMG" tag was just about to be introduced!) - so I kinda got in early. It WILL take time to be able to USE it effectively, but that's natural, as time is needed for any good web developer to build up their own libraries of re-usable code, to develop their own design methodology, to effectively "come into their own" and grow as a creative artist, and carve out their own little niche. Stick at it and you'll find it'll be worth it... well- once the market turns back around, obviously :rolleyes:

Anyway... there's nothing to touch Dreamweaver in web development, - particularly with the UltraDev version that's available and includes inbuilt ASP/JSP support. Roll on version 5!

(I realise this post may be a bit muddled, - such is my state of mind... hope it helps anyway...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Bard mentioning ms word and powerpoint made me remember something. Once I stumbled across a site for an english webdev company... done in ms publisher. It looked awful, every page was one huge image. Don't use publisher. :)

It seems that HTML is a lot harder for someone who already knows a programming language like C. I've spoken to lots of people over the years who have have great problems with HTML but no problem with programming. The opposite seems to be true if you are going from HTML to a programming language, you should find it easier.

I remember seeing a website done in PowerPoint, yes PowerPoint. The links were like next and previous buttons like on a PP presentation. What a disaster!

• Advertisement

Ah lads, please. Please don't put "great problems" and HTML in the one sentence, that's ludicrous. As Bard said, it's barely a language at all. As long as you know where <, / and > are on your keyboard you're half way there. It's nothing short of laughable that C programmers are having trouble with the <b> tag, I mean... come on!
    And this notion of a relation between programming and markup is just silly. They're completely unrelated, there isn't one mutual skill required between them.

w/out getting hyper philosophical.......

Yes of course the basics of HTML are very simple to pick up but like any languge( and here I include the English).....
    Its knowing what to say, when to say it and in what context while making you point in a civil manner w/out offending your target audience

or in web development speak that means....

Its all about knowing what features work best and when- and of course being careful not to cut out your target audience by using something totally incomprehensible to certain users using certain browsers!

thats my take on it anyway:)

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭fizzy

the basics of html can be picked up in no time - a few hours or so. but it is a bit trickier to master it.

i don't agree with finding it more difficult to learn if you did some programming first. although the two aren't very related, i had done a little java first and i found that being used to doing stuff with code and thinking about structure helped me pick up html quickly.

if you have never gone near any technical stuff and you are completley new to writing something that a machine rather than humans will interpret, it probably takes a bit longer?

as for using word etc for making web pages, it has its place - ok so that's how i started!! but i was just wanted to give it a go and hadn't even heard of dreamweaver and word was an easy and free way to start.

i am glad i didn't start hand coding from day 1. it can be very slow and frustrating as a complete beginner. if the site is just a homepage, it is far nicer to actually make pages quickly with a wysiwyg and get up and running fast. you can focus on how you want things to look and on gathering thousands of animated gifs instead of getting bogged down with coding! and when word messes up your positioning and is limiting you (after a week) you get this great urge to learn html fast :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Relatively speaking HTML is easy to pick up. By relative I mean to programming or even other mark-up languages. Where I would suspect it can appear difficult is in dealing with browser specific idiosyncrasies, and in writing well formed, efficient and compliant HTML. Basic HTML, on the other hand can be picked up in a day and a month’s experience in hand-coding HTML would probably give you enough knowledge to deal with 90% of issues. Nonetheless, it ultimately depends upon your aptitude.

My only objection to Dreamweaver, or any WYSIWYG tool for that matter, is that it caps your skill base. The same goes for snarfing other people’s code. At the end you may be a Dreamweaver expert, but you’ll never be able to do the clever stuff.

When I started in the Internet, I had the choice of using either PageMill 1.0 or a text based editor. I went for the latter, harder route and chose to never snarf code, but at worse learn from other’s code and rewrite it from scratch.

I don’t regret that choice as I was ultimately able to go into far more complex development and never had to rely on ”finding a free script” that does at best 80% of what I want. I also get to charge three to four times more than a Dreamweaver developer, as a result :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

originally posted by The Corinthian
    Where I would suspect it can appear difficult is in dealing with browser specific idiosyncrasies
    I don't think that's really too relevant for a newbie to HTML but god I know what you mean. Spent about 3 hours one day trying to re-organise my complex table structure so a gif would line up perfectly with the rest of the design. Worked perfect in MSIE but in Netscape it was a few pixels off, couldn't figure out why. In the end all I needed was to put a <p></p> around the image tag. Ahhhhhh HTML idiosyncrasies AHHHHHH! Although I'll never make that mistake again, that's for sure.

Personally I started off learning HTML, by making web-sites with Microsoft Frontpage express (free), and I'd look at the code it would generate, n see what it was doing. Eventually I got Microsoft Frontpage 2000, and it was a little better. Again I was always looking at the code it was generating. Finally I got Macromedia Dreamweaver, but it was just a pain having to learn a new system, so I just scrapped it. And I started using Edit Plus, a gorgeous little text editor, that highlights code lovely, and that's all I've ever used since. My usual method for designing web-sites now, is to design the look in Adobe Photoshop, as one big image, get it to look *exactly* how I want it to. Then start writing up the HTML code in Edit Plus to match the image exactly. All it ever invovles is a couple of well placed nested tables and background colour changing :) ... oh yeah and if you're planning on using a lot of nested tables, a great one to start off with is <TABLE width=xxx height=xxx border=0 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0> ... then if u r planning on putting text into some of these tables change the cellpadding to about 2 or 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Bosco

Do I still have my 'Flaming Muppet' card or can I only play it once?
    :)

(See 'Cloud Boards: The Gathering' thread on 'Admin')

Bosco

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭hertz

Would you suggest learning the tags etc first before using dreamweaver or front page??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by hertz
    Would you suggest learning the tags etc first before using dreamweaver or front page??

I'd suggest never using Dreamweaver or (especially) FrontPage.

WYSIWYG's are a bit of a throwback from 94 - 97 when WebDev grew out of DTP houses. They were used to packages such as Quark and PageMaker and needed the same for the Web. As such I'd consider a WYSIWYG adequite for a hobbist or one time developer, but not if you have any ambition in the field.

Also, with HTML moving to XML via XHTML, there's going to be a greater emphasis on programming skills, or at least understanding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'd suggest never using Dreamweaver or (especially) FrontPage.

'S a bit much, innit? Dreamweaver and other WYSIWYG tools can be very handy tools for project acceleration, particularly rendering complex tables. It won't be long before it's XHTML compliant, and let's be honest, how many sites *really* need, or will /ever/ need programming skills? I'd say the ratio of complex sites to hard-coded plain HTML is about 9:1, minimum.

adam

• Advertisement

I'd disagree there adam. If the ratio of dynamic:static now is 9:1 and say it was 3:1 six or seven years ago, think about what it's going to be in another few years. There are probably going to be very few static HTML sites(if any).

Besides who would you rather hire? Someone who knows HTML/XHTML inside out or someone that knows how to use Dreamweaver and a little HTML.

I'd suggest to anyone, if they want a career in Web Design/Development then don't bother with a WYSIWYG for a while, get to know HTML to the point where you don't need a WYSIWYG at all. If you just want to put up a website use DW or FP.

Advertisement