Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prospective Students: Mary I 2012/2013

• 01-04-2012 1:24pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭

If you're thinking of attending Mary I next year and you have any questions, feel free to post them up here! I know that in the past LC students have found it hard to find out information about the college and its courses online (I did at the time anyway). Between the people who post in this forum most of your questions or comments should be answered. The Students' Union should hopefully be posting here again before long too.

Added Disclaimer: Don't take anything said here as absolute and final fact. There's a lot of change going on, in particular with the B.Ed and B.Ed in Education and Psychology course. It's likely what will be posted will be correct, and nobody will deliberately mislead you, but just bear this warning in mind!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I'm hoping to do Primary Teaching next year and was just wondering about the subjects in first year. I've looked everywhere but can't find anything on the course content for subjects like Maths, Music and Geography (they're the three I'm interested in). I'd love to do maths but I'm not sure if I'd be up to the standard, same with music really. Anyone doing any of the three and maybe have an insight into the subjects would be greatly appreciated!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Hi there M&S, I'm glad that you've asked that question. I presume that you are talking about the academic/arts subjects? They won't be running at all for B.Ed students next year. You'll be the first year of the new B.Ed programme, which will comprise almost entirely of education modules. You'll no longer do 3 arts subjects in first year, followed by one in subsequent years. You will however have the option of choosing a few elective modules in arts subjects in later years. Essentially you won't have to choose any subject in first year.

The reason I'm glad you've asked the question is that college has made very little information available to incoming first years about the structure of the new course. The current prospectus is very misleading; I know that there is a warning in it that the course content will change, but there's no resemblance at all between it and what the course will be like.

If anybody reading this is considering doing the B.Ed in Ed. and Psychology course, the same stands. What it currently says in the prospectus and website is completely wrong, and should have been updated a long time ago.

dambarude wrote: »
    Hi there M&S, I'm glad that you've asked that question. I presume that you are talking about the academic/arts subjects? They won't be running at all for B.Ed students next year. You'll be the first year of the new B.Ed programme, which will comprise almost entirely of education modules. You'll no longer do 3 arts subjects in first year, followed by one in subsequent years. You will however have the option of choosing a few elective modules in arts subjects in later years. Essentially you won't have to choose any subject in first year.

The reason I'm glad you've asked the question is that college has made very little information available to incoming first years about the structure of the new course. The current prospectus is very misleading; I know that there is a warning in it that the course content will change, but there's no resemblance at all between it and what the course will be like.

If anybody reading this is considering doing the B.Ed in Ed. and Psychology course, the same stands. What it currently says in the prospectus and website is completely wrong, and should have been updated a long time ago.

Oh, I saw that but assumed it was just changing it to a four year course! Is it going to be a four year course beginning this September?

Yes, four years from September. That's one change, but the structure and content of the course is changing as well. I think there are also changes to Gaeltacht and Teaching Practice placements too. There will be far more of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Cailin CoisFarraige

M&S* wrote: »
    Oh, I saw that but assumed it was just changing it to a four year course! Is it going to be a four year course beginning this September?

Yep! All students starting a B.Ed. in September 2012 will be completing a 4 year course.

• Advertisement

Yes, four years from September. That's one change, but the structure and content of the course is changing as well. I think there are also changes to Gaeltacht and Teaching Practice placements too. There will be far more of both.
    So does the four years mean that I could teach abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

There is talks of a study abroad semester for B.Eds.
    It was mentioned at Union Council last week.
    It's optional and I think it will be a pass/fail system rather than affecting your QCA

So does the four years mean that I could teach abroad?

It should yes, I know there are certain countries that look for a four year teaching degree (but I think there are ways around that).

Thanks for all the information! Seriously getting annoyed with changes to courses, thought I'd be over that kind of hassle after the leaving but it appears not!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 goldensyrup

Im hoping to do educational psychology next year. (If i get the points:confused: ). Im just wondering can you study abroad during the course? also what do you study in first year. and how many hrs of lectures are there per week? Ive searched on the Mary I website, prospectuses and everything but I cant find any other info.

• Advertisement

Im hoping to do educational psychology next year. (If i get the points:confused: ). Im just wondering can you study abroad during the course? also what do you study in first year. and how many hrs of lectures are there per week? Ive searched on the Mary I website, prospectuses and everything but I cant find any other info.

Hi goldensyrup, do you mean the Masters in Educational Psychology or the B.Ed in Education and Psychology? I'm guessing you mean the second?

Hi goldensyrup, do you mean the Masters in Educational Psychology or the B.Ed in Education and Psychology? I'm guessing you mean the second?

sorry yeah I meant the B.Ed in Education and Psychology

Great, that's what I thought. Just to be clear, the course will qualify you as a primary teacher, who is also eligible to do further postgrad study in psychology afterwards. You won't be an educational psychologist without further study, but you probably knew that.

As far as I know you won't have the option to study abroad. That is being included in the revised B.Ed course, but won't be in the revised B.Ed in Ed & Psych course. So the answer to your question is no.

The hours per week won't be found anywhere on the website, and I'd say few in the college would even be certain of what they'll be yet. It's safe enough to say that they will be over twenty anyway. Perhaps closer to 25. It will vary depending on the semester/year I would think.

The reason I can't tell you for sure is that you will be in the first cohort to enter the revised B.Ed Psych programme if you get in.

oh right. thanks for the info:)

You're very welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭siobhanod93

Hey,
    Throughout the 4 years will you be able to take any arts subjects e.g History or French etc...??

Hey,
    Throughout the 4 years will you be able to take any arts subjects e.g History or French etc...??

Hello Siobhán. I think the plan is that students will have a certain amount of elective modules to play around with in later years. These electives will be in in education or in an arts subject. So yes, you will be able to take a few modules in an Arts subject. The college gives a brief outline of it here.

EDIT: That was my 2000th post \o/ . I really need to spend less time on this...

Mary I are really trying to make it hard for me to go there! I don't understand why fees are €3,500 is that now €1,000 more than every other college?
    EDIT: I'm not quite sure what fees I actually pay! :(

I think you're looking at the fees you'd pay if you were a European student or if you have done a degree before. If you're going from LC into college you'll be paying the registration fee only which will be €2250/€2500, rising each year (but that's Ruairí Quinn's decision, not MIC's). Of course if you're entitled to a grant you won't have to pay that either.

Yeah I figured that out, some of the information Mary I gives out is very misleading though. :P Right for now I'm going to spot worrying about the little things until after the leaving cert.

• Advertisement

Yeah I figured that out, some of the information Mary I gives out is very misleading though. :P Right for now I'm going to spot worrying about the little things until after the leaving cert.

I think it's difficult in general to figure out - it's not just in Mary I.

Hello Siobhán. I think the plan is that students will have a certain amount of elective modules to play around with in later years. These electives will be in in education or in an arts subject. So yes, you will be able to take a few modules in an Arts subject. The college gives a brief outline of it here.

EDIT: That was my 2000th post \o/ . I really need to spend less time on this...

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭crayon1

Hi I'm just wondering if you went into the BEd in Education and Psychology and found the Psychology aspect wasn't for you is it possible to change to just the BEd?

Thanks in advance!

I'd be slow to give you a definite answer on that one. I'd say that you probably could, but because the courses are changing that might be less certain.

Hey, when I tell people I'm going for Mary I, they ask me am I going for an interview to get in...

I know ages they did, but is this still the case? :eek:

Hey, when I tell people I'm going for Mary I, they ask me am I going for an interview to get in...

I know ages they did, but is this still the case? :eek:

Did you not do the Irish interview and the singing test over the Xmas holidays? They couldn't possibly admit female students who can't properly carry the air of a tune.

:p

You only do an interview for entry as a mature student or as a postgrad. Calm down!

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Did you not do the Irish interview and the singing test over the Xmas holidays? They couldn't possibly admit female students who can't properly carry the air of a tune.

:p

You only do an interview for entry as a mature student or as a postgrad. Calm down!

Ah you could have played with her for a bit longer. You're no fun Dambarude

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Ah you could have played with her for a bit longer. You're no fun Dambarude

I could have, I know, but I thought it might be a bit cruel :o

I'll send you a tip off the next time a golden opportunity like that comes up:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Anyone have info on the B.Ed. Hoping to do it next year if I get the points :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Cailin CoisFarraige

Anyone have info on the B.Ed. Hoping to do it next year if I get the points :)

The new 4 year course hasn't really been finalised, but there's a bit of information here [HTML]http://www.mic.ul.ie/education/Pages/bachelorofeducation.aspx[/HTML]

Advertisement