Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

rjt wrote: »
    How much would it cost to charge your phone though? Like 5c?

With that money, you could buy a teabag and reuse it. Win-win situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

I was packing bags in Dunnes (I know, everyone hates bag-packers, I don't care, it got me out of TY class) for SVP, I spent about 5 minutes packing two trolley-fulls of produce, I was sweating by the end of it.

The buyer paid with credit card, then took a handful of change from her purse, looked at my SVP T-shirt intently, went through her change, picked out a 1 cent coin and pushed it in to my hand.

I smiled and said thanks. She frowned. In my mind I kicked her in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Superbus wrote: »
    I smiled and said thanks. She frowned.

WTF? :eek: She frowned at you for saying "thanks." That's gotta be a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 titsmahgee

had to put this in when i read some of the posts;
    our local shop in the countryside in kilkenny buys the packs of chicken gougons from lidl or aldi, you know the packs with probably about 30 pieces in it den puts 6 pieces of each in little plastic bags and sells them off for 2 euro each, he also buys all the multiple packs of drinks, crisps etc and sells them off single.
    its surely illegal but people keep buying so he keeps doing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

WTF? :eek: She frowned at you for saying "thanks." That's gotta be a new one.

Honestly. She was a terrible, terrible person, judging from our brief interaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

titsmahgee wrote: »
    our local shop in the countryside in kilkenny buys the packs of chicken gougons from lidl or aldi, you know the packs with probably about 30 pieces in it den puts 6 pieces of each in little plastic bags and sells them off for 2 euro each, he also buys all the multiple packs of drinks, crisps etc and sells them off single.
    Not illegal, but I don't think the manufacturer would be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

rjt wrote: »
    How much would it cost to charge your phone though? Like 5c?

(5c + vat @21% * 2 phones)52 weeks = Euro 6.292 per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I think you win this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

blubloblu wrote: »
    Not illegal, but I don't think the manufacturer would be happy.

I think if they have multipack not to sold individually it's illegal as they're being bought at discount and then being sold at higher value

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dexterm99

If anything, the life of both phones will be considerably less with all the wear and tear from swapping batteries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Omar guest

titsmahgee wrote: »

Sounds good, how bad. It is alot cheaper then the cash and carry.

Dexterm99 wrote: »
    If anything, the life of both phones will be considerably less with all the wear and tear from swapping batteries.

One step ahead again; I did a quick count of what the most common phone was at work before we upgraded.

Thank you. A bit disappointed there is not a cash prize

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Thank you. A bit disappointed there is not a cash prize

Sure you'd only put it in a jar and hide it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

My dad does my head in.. heres a list of SOME of the things he does. (every friggen week he starts new tight things:mad:).

-Turns off the shower when you've only been in it for 5 minutes and you are covered in soap, he says its wasting money. (like he can't afford it in a friggen 8 bedroomed house.) :mad::rolleyes:
    -Doesn't let us eat more than two snacks in an hour because he will have to wash two dishes and he can't be bothered.
    -Never goes into the shop, makes my poor sister go in everysingle morning to get his paper.
    -Makes hang up the washing and then comes out and tells us its hung up wrong, what way do you bloody hang them up there is no bloody way!:mad:
    -Sometimes we volunteer to do stuff for him and then he says that its all wrong and shouts for like an hour after, after us volunteering.:(
    -Makes us get up at 10 in the summer and never lets us lie in.
    -Never gets us any sweets, he makes us pay for it ourself.
    -Puts a lock on everything so that we can't use it when we want to.:eek:.
    -Acts like a baby.
    -Annoys us so much with his ways that he makes everyone cranky and then when my mum shouts at him he says that shes backing me up, when shes only trying to get peace for us.
    -Nags me everytime i see him.
    -Sends us outside for hours in the summer because he doesn't want to see us.
    -Never takes us out anywhere in summer because he can't be bothered and his excuse is "i never got that when i was a wane" (so my mother has to take the day off, of work out of her leave to take us out.)

The list can go on, next he'll be locking the fridge, so we can't get food.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I just re-used a disposable bin-bag. It felt good :pac:

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I just re-used a disposable bin-bag. It felt good :pac:

Aw aye today he made me take the lid off a plastic bottle to separate it from the bottle so that it could be crushed. I mean wtf.:rolleyes:

this has probably been said somewhere in the thread but anyway

one place i worked in i told everyone i was going over to the shop across the way to get a sambo and a coffee and did anyone want anything? a few people asked to get them the same and one girl asked me to get her a cappuccino, the cappuccino was something like 1.99 or 1.98 and she'd given me 2 euro, she actually wanted the 1 cent back because she was saving up!!:eek: she was furious when she found out i gave it to the charity box thing at the till, i mean cop on 1 cent isnt gonna do much saving

I hate people like that they really do my head in, and if my dad doesn't stop getting worse some day i'm going to flip.:mad:

Superbus wrote: »
    Honestly. She was a terrible, terrible person, judging from our brief interaction.

Well good for you thats what i would've done, sicken her.

potsy11 wrote: »
    Women.....Go to hairdresser, cost of cut and full colour is anything form 100-180 then a tip of 10-30. The gas thing is the hairdresser will more or less have the hand out - thats how often they get tipped.

Barbers - you are in an out in no time so no need to tip but I usually give 1-4e depending on how nice the barber was and how good my new hairdo is!

£100 for doing your hair are you serious!! Thats discracefull it only costs me like £10, now i realise that the people down south really aren't lying, your government are a rip off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

owenc wrote: »
    My dad does my head in.. heres a list of SOME of the things he does. (every friggen week he starts new tight things:mad:).

-Turns off the shower when you've only been in it for 5 minutes and you are covered in soap, he says its wasting money. (like he can't afford it in a friggen 8 bedroomed house.) :mad::rolleyes:
    -Doesn't let us eat more than two snacks in an hour because he will have to wash two dishes and he can't be bothered.
    -Never goes into the shop, makes my poor sister go in everysingle morning to get his paper.
    -Makes hang up the washing and then comes out and tells us its hung up wrong, what way do you bloody hang them up there is no bloody way!:mad:
    -Sometimes we volunteer to do stuff for him and then he says that its all wrong and shouts for like an hour after, after us volunteering.:(
    -Acts like a baby.
    -Annoys us so much with his ways that he makes everyone cranky and then when my mum shouts at him he says that shes backing me up, when shes only trying to get peace for us.
    -Never takes us out anywhere in summer because he can't be bothered and his excuse is "i never got that when i was a wane" (so my mother has to take the day off, of work out of her leave to take us out.)

I think you have Daddy issues, kid! Majority of those aren't "stingy".

Some of those things are nuts though! How old are you?

Vinta81 wrote: »
    I think you have Daddy issues, kid! Majority of those aren't "stingy".

Some of those things are nuts though! How old are you?

14. Why? Hes live 50 something thats probably why and his father was very tight aswell, i have know proof i just know by the way he went on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

14. Why? Hes live 50 something thats probably why and his father was very tight aswell, i have know proof i just know by the way he went on.

When I was 14 I thought my parents knew nothing at all...they sure did learn alot in the last 7 years.

When I was 14 I thought my parents knew nothing at all...they sure did learn alot in the last 7 years.

I don't go on like that, hes like that he friggen thinks he knows everything and when we say something he'll argue with us that its wrong and then go up and research it to prove that its wrong (but most of the time hes wrong when i'm arguing with him:P). Hes a computer geek aswell so he sort of does know everything, he went to america and learn't how to fly helicopters.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 cazzycaz

Mont wrote: »
    Anyone notice that the meanest people are the rich ones - i have a mate whose family is loaded and the guy is the stingiest in the world - he would pick up 2c if he saw it on the street, always shops in the Somalia shop and is so proud when he picks up a top for under a tenner. One of the lads went shopping with him in Dunnes and he picked up a load of stuff but was too mean to pay the 22c for a bag so the 2 of them practically carried 15 items each for a half a mile

Thats why they are rich!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

I don't go on like that, hes like that he friggen thinks he knows everything and when we say something he'll argue with us that its wrong and then go up and research it to prove that its wrong (but most of the time hes wrong when i'm arguing with him:P). Hes a computer geek aswell so he sort of does know everything, he went to america and learn't how to fly helicopters.:rolleyes:

Typical disclaimer of "I'm not being mean/cliched but" I thought the very same of my parents at that age, (only 21 now). Everything they did drove me up the walls and down again :pac: You're not the only one who eels that way,you're at that stage where you want to be treated like an adult, but believe me you'll miss being protected like that! My parents are older than the majority of my mates parents, so always felt they were a bit more stricter and out of touch so to speak. He does mean the best for you, although try find way around those 5 minute showers, gotta love standing under the hot water for agessss :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 cazzycaz

I know a couple who always get one meal between them when they eat out!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭patakadarragh

-Acts like a baby.

Try here>>>>>>>>>>><>>>>>>>>>>>> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055754293

you're welcome.

Vinta81 wrote: »
    Typical disclaimer of "I'm not being mean/cliched but" I thought the very same of my parents at that age, (only 21 now). Everything they did drove me up the walls and down again :pac: You're not the only one who eels that way,you're at that stage where you want to be treated like an adult, but believe me you'll miss being protected like that! My parents are older than the majority of my mates parents, so always felt they were a bit more stricter and out of touch so to speak. He does mean the best for you, although try find way around those 5 minute showers, gotta love standing under the hot water for agessss :o

Naw but he is tight and theres no doubt about it full stop, i've been in other peoples houses and they get everything and get away with everything and nearly everyone that has been to my house has said that he is annoying, so its true! Come now your parents never did that crap.

• Advertisement

Try here>>>>>>>>>>><>>>>>>>>>>>> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055754293

you're welcome.

Ok this will be a laugh but its a year old..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement