Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Energia - 22% off Electricity

Options
  • 04-10-2015 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭

Energia are offering a "22% discount" (discount off their own standard rate) on electricity via Bonkers.ie.

Depending on your usage, for many people, it is the best deal out there for electricity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Watch out for the standing charge - €158 PA Mine came up with a saving of €66 PA but when I checked it they were more expensive by €27.22. Would still save me money, but I get other benefits where I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I saw this the other day but I'm not too familiar with the brand, anyone using them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭gipi

RedXIV wrote: »
    I saw this the other day but I'm not too familiar with the brand, anyone using them?

Currently with them for electricity and gas - haven't had any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I was till recently. I can't complain. They were more professional than most and have a decent online presence to check on details etc.

I had to change away from them though as they put their prices up after year 1 the same as other energy providers do to existing customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Have gas with them - no problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

My only problem with these offers is that I am living alone and as I am out most days I can really use very little electricity. For the comparison on bonkers for example I said 1000 kwhr/annum usage i.e. circa 160 per bill although my latest bill over the summer would not have hit 100 units but I would use a small heater (sparingly) during the winter because its not worthwhile turning on the oil. So in my case its the standing charge rather than the rate per unit that is the big factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Energy costs should continue to fall down even further based on the global market so the best BA is yet to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

machalla wrote: »
    I was till recently. I can't complain. They were more professional than most and have a decent online presence to check on details etc.

I had to change away from them though as they put their prices up after year 1 the same as other energy providers do to existing customers.

This. Had to change from them after 1 year, but they were good while I was with them and will probably go back next year if they offer the best price.

Their website even has an energy-usage comparison tool so you can see how much less (or MORE) energy you are using compared to others with the same size home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

Anyone have a link to somewhere on the site where it clearly lists their standing order charges and electricity unit prices.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Check how much is ur usage before registering for this offer..if ur total usage charges(excluding vat and standing charge)are below 800 eur....board gais with 10% discount and 100 cashback is still the best one !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

tharmor wrote: »
    Check how much is ur usage before registering for this offer..if ur total usage charges(excluding vat and standing charge)are below 800 eur....board gais with 10% discount and 100 cashback is still the best one !!

But Bonkers sorts all that out for ya doesn't it?

Is Bord Gais forcing that level pay on ya? I'd rather Meter read/submit a reading.

Is Bord Gais forcing that level pay on ya? I'd rather Meter read/submit a reading.

No they do not take cash back into consideration...they clearly highlight that...

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

Changed today, near 300€ savings per yr on my previous bord gas level pay scheme even taking in the standing charges, charges all providers charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭SMI

soirish wrote: »
    Energy costs should continue to fall down even further based on the global market so the best BA is yet to come.

Interesting, I know nothing of the implications of the shaky market.

I was about to bite the bullet and switch, but may hold off. I just put my name down for the next One Big Switch electricity campaign, but have to wait a few weeks for their offer to emerge.

When you say the best is yet to come, what sort of timeframe would you have a guesse at; weeks vs months?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

septicsac wrote: »
    Changed today, near 300€ savings per yr on my previous bord gas level pay scheme even taking in the standing charges, charges all providers charge.

How much power do you use? :eek:

SMI wrote: »
    Interesting, I know nothing of the implications of the shaky market.

I was about to bite the bullet and switch, but may hold off. I just put my name down for the next One Big Switch electricity campaign, but have to wait a few weeks for their offer to emerge.

When you say the best is yet to come, what sort of timeframe would you have a guesse at; weeks vs months?

In Ireland, it might never come. If you're out of contract id change and forget about it. Especially if you use alot.

Are we still near most expensive in Europe? And we've a really low quality Network compared to alot of Europe I read as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

You can adjust the level pay as you want.
    The BG deal was sweet with €100 cash back and no contract.
    I checked with flogas recently and the price I was on out of contract was better than the significant discount they offered me on current charges. :)

Need to look at it all again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭seanin4711

22% onto bill if you dont submit meter readings and the guesstimate!
    gud luk to energia with them since pilot scheme,I will do my best to undermine them from now on!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Are we still near most expensive in Europe? And we've a really low quality Network compared to alot of Europe I read as well.

Actually we have a very high quality network. The issue we face that pushes up prices is that we have a very large and very dispersed rural communities.

40% of Irish people live in rural Ireland, often in once off, ribbon development houses. By comparison, in France only 10% of their population is rural.

Ireland actually has by far the highest percentage rural population in Europe.

As a result, the ESB is forced to maintain three times the length of cable per customer as the UK does!!! And 1/3 the number of transformers as the UK, despite only having 6% the population as the UK!!:

https://oneoffireland.wordpress.com/economic-costs/

Unfortunately that leads to the high prices, someone has to pay for it (and no the increased rural rates don't fully covered the rural costs, not even close. Rural electricity is heavily subsidised by the urban).

seanin4711 wrote:
    22% onto bill if you dont submit meter readings and the guesstimate! gud luk to energia with them since pilot scheme,I will do my best to undermine them from now on!

So how does it work ? If u never submit meter reading ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

I've been on the Energia website and just can't find the rates they charge.

Anyone able to provide a link to them?

jprboy wrote: »
    I've been on the Energia website and just can't find the rates they charge.

Anyone able to provide a link to them?

Click on plan you want to switch to and they're all there under "view rates" tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

Click on plan you want to switch to and they're all there under "view rates" tab.

Thanks.

Ah, yes, tucked in beside Terms and Conditions, no wonder I couldn't see it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭florawest

For me Bord Gais saves me €89 in the year, am still with Airtricity out of contract since July but waiting to see what the people power one switch comes back with, my bills were level over 12 months at €56 so low user so Energia has lower unit cost but more expensive standing charge, now paying extra since contract up, so plan on moving next week or so

Looks like 23% off with Energia through big switch.

Nothing amazing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭barrystealover

seanin4711 wrote: »
    22% onto bill if you dont submit meter readings and the guesstimate!
    gud luk to energia with them since pilot scheme,I will do my best to undermine them from now on!

What do you mean by this?
    I signed up to that energia deal thru bonkers as worked out alot cheaper than current supplier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

soirish wrote: »

Not really though. Gas is sold sterling and oil in United States Dollar. The Euro is predicted to weaken over the next few months. Any decrease in energy prices, might be off set by the weakening Euro. Look at the pumps(I know a lot of the price is taxes and excise). But in the US due to them using USD, their petrol prices are super cheap. Where as our pumps prices are pretty constant over the year although oil has fallen, the weak Euro has offset this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I applied to energia over a year ago when I first moved into my current location, they lost my details (worryingly including bank statements and pps numbers) through so a man was sent out to cut our power, cost us €70 and the guy in their call centre was uninterested in helping saying that I was not a customer of theirs so it's my problem

Useless shower as far as I'm concerned and will never go near them as long as I live!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

I switched to energia for this offer took them 5 weeks to process application and only after I contacted customer service. I've had 3 duplicates of letters the place seems to be super disorganised.

Advertisement