Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Musicians for New Band Wanted / Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Deschain

No information on payment? Name of artist or links to her material would also be helpful. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 biggywiggy

Hi Deschain,

We will be putting in marketing costs, time & experience to promote the act. If any money is made from performances, it will be shared equally amongst all band members. Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

So you are looking for free session musicians?

^yeah thats what I was getting at. You are basically asking people to come on board a project which they have no creative input in with no flat fee. You are looking for a backing band for this individual and you expect to get that for free? The promise of leftovers from gigs would not be good enough.

Deschain wrote: »
    ^yeah thats what I was getting at. You are basically asking people to come on board a project which they have no creative input in with no flat fee. You are looking for a backing band for this individual and you expect to get that for free? The promise of leftovers from gigs would not be good enough.

What's worse, you could put in a LOT of time and effort, for little or no money, and then this girl who fronts it might be signed up and the backing band would probably be ditched for session musicians used by the label.

A lot of danger here.

• Advertisement

What's worse, you could put in a LOT of time and effort, for little or no money, and then this girl who fronts it might be signed up and the backing band would probably be ditched for session musicians used by the label.

A lot of danger here.

This is also true, which would be all well and good if you had made a few quid before this happens. If this was a creative project where musicians get together to make music then each member knows that money is not the motivation, but to come on board something where there seems to be very little financial gain for no creativity thats a little crazy to expect from a serious musician.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Siha

Good luck to find kids between 16-21 to have high standard of musicianship. Just get your self hired guns and save yourself time, stress and money too because you will be paying for rehearsal place. But good luck.

Dear heaven,

We’re trying to form a young band, that will work together, hopefully long term - with yes, a lead singer.. big deal.

As with any band, they have to gel which is more likely, if they’re roughly the same age.

I’m sorry some of the commenters find it so offensive.

How do you expect a new band to be put together? Do they fall off trees? ..

And yes, we are happy, if this band gels and works that we will market it. Someone has to. :rolleyes:

biggywiggy wrote: »
    Dear heaven,

We’re trying to form a young band, that will work together, hopefully long term - with yes, a lead singer.. big deal.

As with any band, they have to gel which is more likely, if they’re roughly the same age.

I’m sorry some of the commenters find it so offensive.

How do you expect a new band to be put together? Do they fall off trees? ..

And yes, we are happy, if this band gels and works that we will market it. Someone has to. :rolleyes:

No you are forming a band with a singer/published songwriter and you are looking for free musicians to play with her so both the management and writer can benefit financially while the musicians might get a few crumbs from gigs and will probably be dumped once she and management get a recording deal. That would appear to be the likely scenario, for me. Feel free to address any of those valid points.

You haven't addressed one of our concerns here, not a single one. As it stands, the only parties that are likely to benefit from this set up are the management and songwriter. If some 18 year old came to me looking for advice on this, I would say to avoid it, as it is likely to leave you high and dry in 2-3 years with nothing to show for it. Feel free to tell me why I am wrong.

Just giving my honest opinion here. There are a LOT of bad deals out there in just about every performing art, and young people are especially vunerable to getting screwed by them. Yours could be a good deal, but your not convincing anyone yet.

Nope that’s not the case Chazz.

It was never said that there will be no creative input allowed from any musician. It was never said they wouldn’t be allowed to write, & that if they did, they would as per normal, get their full share of said song rights through their PRS.

The band will operate as any other band on the market .. They will be a team. The singer writes music, that’s ok isn’t it? She writes music good enough to be published. Not a crime.

If someone else in the band has the ability and wishes to start creating/writing that’s fine too. However, overall there would have to be consensus that the song is good enough to be released. Just like any other band.

I honestly don’t know what your angling at.

I have addressed the points you’ve made as best I can.

If I had just put up ‘band members wanted’ .. would you have been quite so suspicious? ..

• Advertisement

biggywiggy wrote: »
    Nope that’s not the case Chazz.

It was never said that there will be no creative input allowed from any musician. It was never said they wouldn’t be allowed to write, & that if they did, they would as per normal, get their full share of said song rights through their PRS.

The band will operate as any other band on the market .. They will be a team. The singer writes music, that’s ok isn’t it? She writes music good enough to be published. Not a crime.

If someone else in the band has the ability and wishes to start creating/writing that’s fine too. However, overall there would have to be consensus that the song is good enough to be released. Just like any other band.

I honestly don’t know what your angling at.

I have addressed the points you’ve made as best I can.

If I had just put up ‘band members wanted’ .. would you have been quite so suspicious? ..

Of course not, but it wouldn't be the same thing at all.

Anyway, I have given my opinion. I really have nothing more to add.

But you stated that you are looking for a new band FOR a up and coming singer. So from this statement we can gather that the band is for this singer. No mention that this singer is looking to start a original band, which is completely separate thing to what you stated. You should be more clear in your opening statement that is all. This is were the confusion has come from, and the reason so many posters have seen it that way. So maybe it is you that should address these concerns in your original poster rather than defending yourself. You must realise that you were not exactly clear on the role of the band, otherwise people would have not responded the way they did.

Fair enough.

She is a great singer, and a pretty good songwriter, and that has been acknowledged by ’the industry'. I wanted that to be known in the advert, as it means the band will have a better chance of ‘success’ with a great lead & good/great songs than not.

We will be paying for recording, promoting, imaging, and responsible for getting gigs. It’s not a bad deal for a young musician to join.

There’s very little money to be made in the music industry as is. I know for a fact that very well world established promoters/managers I know are making losses on tours. So we’re the ones taking a risk, and losing money initially too. Standard management deal is around 25% - not trying to make a killing or ‘rip’ anyone off etc.

If a big label came along, they’d be buying into the band as a unit, that is why we’re being particular about the standard of musician that joins. If we were just looking for free ‘session’ musicians, we wouldn’t be to fussed about their age etc.. would we? And in this day and age, it’s debatable how many of the ‘major’ labels are actually doing anything worthwhile anyway.

But that is, at the moment down the line. And all opportunities that turn up will be considered on merit.

We can hire session musicians any time (and do).. this is about creating a band.. yes she’s the lead / boss and ultimately we have to have some control over output etc - but then, I think that’s fair, if we are going to put money in to get this off the ground.

We can’t promise anything, success, fame etc, nobody in this game can. But we’re going to have a go at creating a truly great band.

Bump..

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭reniwren

I would try out, but I'm too old and don't live in Dublin, tbh your gonna have slim pickings for people who are actually professional, have their own transport look the part and gel together

Advertisement