Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Power and Torque figures for Ford Sierra 1.8TD

• 17-11-2006 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭

Does anyone know/ havw performance figures for Ford's 1.8TD engine that was fitted in sierras? Or anyone know any useful places to go for info on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

http://sierracorner.net/tech.htm

Looking in an old edition of car magazine it states ... Top Speed 100mph, 0-60 15 seconds, average mpg 38, ... & Summary - Just right for Terry & June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭AsphaltRisin'

ha ha thanks for that

aha 75bhp, that's what i'd thought it was. not too bad... now to find a turbo off a transit.....

ha ha thanks for that
    When I went looking for an old car mag ... What do you know, I found something else I was looking for, for the past few months ... so Thank You !

ah fair play, funny how things like that happen isnt it? thanks for the point in right direction, hope you get some use out of whatever you found

• Advertisement

ah fair play, funny how things like that happen isnt it? thanks for the point in right direction, hope you get some use out of whatever you found
    My previous post probably makes it sound like something seedy ... but no, they are expensive microfibre cloths, I had stashed away from her indoors (honest) ... I can now go out and polish my car.

ah no, i just didnt know aht it was you'd found, hmm. speaking of polishing.. i am unfortunately reminded of a very dirty ford granada outside the window, damn! I'm going to have to wash it later

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The later ones had 90bhp i think.

The later ones had 90bhp i think.

What about a '91?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭BrianD3

According to a mag from November 1990:
    75 bhp
    112 ft lbs
    top speed 99 mph
    0-60 15.2 secs
    weight 22.1 cwt
    56.5 mpg @ constant 56 mph

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,374 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the first mondeo 1.8 TD's were 90bhp, so it's probable that the engine was in the last of the Sierras.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭maidhc

colm_mcm wrote:
    the first mondeo 1.8 TD's were 90bhp, so it's probable that the engine was in the last of the Sierras.

88bhp to be exact.

I don't know about the Sierra. 75bhp seems a more typical output for that age of diesel Sierra/Carina/405

maidhc wrote:
    88bhp to be exact.
    anorak.jpg

:)

We have had one for going in 12 years. I'm entitled to be a bit of an anorak.

EDIT:
    Of course the later facelift mondeo had a 90bhp engine. It was the same as the Turbo-Diesel, but badged as an Eundra-DE. This was later updated in 1999 for the focus only as a 90bhp Endura-DI (direct injection, semi electronic fuel pump). In 2001 this engine became a common rail Duratorq TDCI with 113ps, and in 2002 was modified slightly to produce 100 or 115ps. It can now be found in the S-Max/Galaxy as a Duratorq TDCI with 100 or 125 ps.

So the 1753cc block from the Sierra TD will probably be fitted to James Bonds new Mondeo!

Now ill get me coat.

maidhc wrote:
    :)
    Now ill get me coat.

a waterproof coat of cloth or plastic, usually with a hood, of a kind originally used in polar regions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

My parents had a '93 Sierra 1.8TD. Slowest thing on 4 wheels, you would be putting your life in your hands over taking a car!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,086 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Max_Damage wrote:
    My parents had a '93 Sierra 1.8TD. Slowest thing on 4 wheels, you would be putting your life in your hands over taking a car!

That's nothing, my father had a 1985 Sierra with the 2.3 litre diesel engine with no turbo for a short time. It went as fast in reverse as it did forward and you needed planning permission to overtake. It also sounded like a truck when starting and the whole interior of the car vibrated when the car was ticking over at idle. That engine must have been straight out of a Transit or commercial truck.

bazz26 wrote:
    That's nothing, my father had a 1985 Sierra with the 2.3 litre diesel engine with no turbo for a short time. It went as fast in reverse as it did forward and you needed planning permission to overtake. It also sounded like a truck when starting and the whole interior of the car vibrated when the car was ticking over at idle. That engine must have been straight out of a Transit or commercial truck.

The 2.3 engine was made by peugeot actually and i think it's basic design was from about 1960 or something silly like that

Max_Damage wrote:

ah they're not that bad, sure they can be bad if the timing and and fuel injection are all over the place and the havnt been serivced, and the turbo is shot, which is unfortunately how most of them are, but when running poroperly they're not too bad, plus, i plan to somehow get a transit turbo onto one and get better injectors as well, plus hopefully get the ecu remapped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

ah they're not that bad, sure they can be bad if the timing and and fuel injection are all over the place and the havnt been serivced, and the turbo is shot, which is unfortunately how most of them are, but when running poroperly they're not too bad, plus, i plan to somehow get a transit turbo onto one and get better injectors as well, plus hopefully get the ecu remapped

Don't get me wrong, our Sierra was actually very reliable. The onlt thing to go wrong with it in our 7 years of ownership was a faulty injector and a snapped clutch cable. When we got rid of it, it had nearly 190,000 miles on it, and still going fine.

• Advertisement

i plan to somehow get a transit turbo onto one and get better injectors as well, plus hopefully get the ecu remapped

It is a great engine, but your not going to be doing any remapping! I don't think it has any more than the most rudimentary of ecus. The fuel system is more or less completely mechanical in the mondeo, so I doubt if the sierrra is any more advanced.

There is a well known adjustment that can be made to the fuel pump, but you would want someone who knows what he is doing to play with this.

Why not fit an Endura DE from a mondeo rather than messing with injectors and stuff.

Advertisement