Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Man outsources his own job(s)

• 16-01-2013 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭

A security audit of a US critical infrastructure company last year revealed that its star developer had outsourced his own job to a Chinese subcontractor and was spending all his work time playing around on the internet.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/16/developer_oursources_job_china/

This is outstanding.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

Stolen from Reddit. But yes, it sure it outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Ha, brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Drakares wrote: »

I stole it from somewhere other than Reddit, but does it really matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭pitythefool

Scary

More power too him though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Many of our own do it here, usually under the guise of having consultants

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Bob is a god amongst men!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

nobody gives a shit where it came from.....

well unless it's the news of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I don't get this whole "stolen from......." attitude, i've seen a good bit of round here lately.
    Did you think boards was populated solely by journalists who would only post original material or what?
    Every news story you see here is "stolen" from somewhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Outsourcing is the way to go, I provide a service and most of the actual work is outsourced. It can be a pain though if the person I outsource the work to, makes a balls of it because for the customer it reflects badly on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

I wonder where reddit stole it from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭HHobo

Nolimits wrote: »

This whole "stolen from reddit" thing is really starting to annoy me. Unless reddit is the ultimate source for all news, then most of what is on reddit was taken from somewhere else. As someone who doesn't use reddit - or entirely know what it is for that matter - I am glad people take the time to bring these things to boards. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Who gives shít?

Boards.ie is enough for me, so I and probably a lot of other users here don't go near Reddit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

• Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Unless Reddit wrote the bloody article, nobody stole anything from them. And considering the pro-piracy outlook of the majority of its users, that any Reddit fan could decry online intellectual property theft is hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

People so mad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

he could have gone off and done anything at all and he watches clips of cats?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

he could have gone off and done anything at all and he watches clips of cats?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he outsourcing for other firms as well. Why not just set up an outsourcing company if that's all he's going to do all day?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Bob is a genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

This happens a lot more than people think, especially in the IT industry.

I have done it myself for many programming contracts/jobs, but not to the extent that 'Bob' has in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭suave.4u

Nolimits wrote: »

Stole it from BOB :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Itzy wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he outsourcing for other firms as well. Why not just set up an outsourcing company if that's all he's going to do all day?
    I'm sure he's doing that now given all the publicity he's gotten for knowing the top Chinese coding companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

The only thing I don't understand - why was he fired? Getting much lower-paid people to do all his work, while taking all the credit for it. Sounds like perfect management material.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Itzy wrote: »

Not exactly. All he did was pay someone else to do his work then got other jobs and sent that to them to do too.

If anyone actually knows who this guy is and he tries to use what he did as a marketing tactic it should fall under his feet. He has shown no consideration towards IT Security needs at all and has possibly provided sensitive data or a means to acquire sensitive data to an unverified third party.

He's just a cute whoer. Nothing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

What a hero. Bagging himself six figure sums, considered top software developer in the company, all while sitting on his hole watching videos of Detective Mittens.

:D:D

Great story on a piss raining day.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

hat off to bob.. what a hero

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

who_me wrote: »
    The only thing I don't understand - why was he fired? Getting much lower-paid people to do all his work, while taking all the credit for it. Sounds like perfect management material.

Some companies don't like it when the 'exploiting the wage slave' system gets turned on its head. For the same reason some companies will hold talks about company loyalty and taking a hit for the team and then lay people off if cheaper methods are opened to them.

Luckily a lot of companies don't look at things this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

who_me wrote: »
    The only thing I don't understand - why was he fired?
    A security audit of a US critical infrastructure company

A nasty Chinese commie writing code for critical infrastructure in the good ol' U, S and A?...

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭happypants

HHobo wrote: »

This whole "stolen from reddit" thing is really starting to annoy me. Unless reddit is the ultimate source for all news, then most of what is on reddit was taken from somewhere else. As someone who doesn't use reddit - or entirely know what it is for that matter - I am glad people take the time to bring these things to boards. Thanks!

I would thank that post more than once if I could. Can't make any sense of reddit so I'm also glad people take the time and effort to "steal" from it!

Back on topic tho, the man is both an idiot and genius all at the same time. Clever idea, he made a load of money from it! however on being found out he's alerted the company that their work can be done cheaper and better elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭circadian

Excellent work Bob.
    He'll become an auditor for some other company off the back of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Amazon Mechanical Turk. :D

Advertisement