Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

University changing exam marking scheme suddenly

• 27-02-2012 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

My university has just informed me that due to an omission in the marks and standards document that was distributed to all students at the beginning of the year, and which has been available on their website all year, the marking scheme for one particular subject has been massively altered.

Originally the subject had a marks breakdown of 70% exam and 30% practicals, but we've just been informed that the actual numbers are 40% exam and 60% practical.

This is a huge development and leaves many students in the position where they might fail the year unless they achieve very well in the exam, since the practicals were never well attended.

Is an NUI university legally required to abide by their own exam regulations, or are they allowed to change things just before the exams and say tough luck?

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

The case of Tansey v College of Occupational Therapists Ltd [1995] 2 ILRM 601 almost immediately springs to mind. Of course, it is slightly different to the scenario you mention.

You can't seek legal advice here unfortunately, but it does sound like it's a little bit unreasonable.

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

Not much help to you but colleges seem to do as they please.
    On a course I was on someone was meant to ask if anyone was a qualified electrician or held an engineering degree at the start of the course, and if they did they were to start on year two of this course. This person never informed them of this until of course they had already paid for and done the first year!!!

It would be nice to see something put in place though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Get onto your class reps and the education officer in the SU. A similar thing cropped up with (I presume it's UCG we're talking about here) the B.Comm Internationals last year.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Had similar happen before.

"Answer at least 3 questions" on the paper.

But exam was marked out of all 5.

Education officer at the SU helped me file an appeal to the marking of the exam and represented me at the hearing. All exams were regraded out of 3 questions due to the vague nature of the statement.

Im sure you could do similar and the Education Officer at the SU will know best.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Avatargh

maki wrote: »
    My university has just informed me that due to an omission in the marks and standards document that was distributed to all students at the beginning of the year, and which has been available on their website all year, the marking scheme for one particular subject has been massively altered.

Originally the subject had a marks breakdown of 70% exam and 30% practicals, but we've just been informed that the actual numbers are 40% exam and 60% practical.

This is a huge development and leaves many students in the position where they might fail the year unless they achieve very well in the exam, since the practicals were never well attended.

Is an NUI university legally required to abide by their own exam regulations, or are they allowed to change things just before the exams and say tough luck?

Legal advice would be sensible here...and quick. There are comparable (ish) situations which have "gone to law" in the past.

• Advertisement
Advertisement