Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The super duper retro gaming review thread

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Back on topic please. I enjoyed your review Retr0 you make some good points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

LoGiE wrote: »
    Back on topic please.

Normally I'd never argue a mod instruction, but isn't the topic
    This might die a horrible death , but a thread geared towards retro reviews?

And myself & Retr0 are discussing his Goldeneye review, primarily focusing on the whole description of how its aged? I'm not trying to be smart/callous here don't get me wrong...but to my knowledge we wern't exactly off topic.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Normally I'd never argue a mod instruction, but isn't the topic

And myself & Retr0 are discussing his Goldeneye review, primarily focusing on the whole description of how its aged? I'm not trying to be smart/callous here don't get me wrong...but to my knowledge we wern't exactly off topic.

Prehaps I should have said I don't want to read a page of posts arguing about Goldeneye. We've been down that road before. If you disagree with Retr0 why not write your own review and post it here?

Prehaps I should have said I don't want to read a page of posts arguing about Goldeneye. We've been down that road before. If you disagree with Retr0 why not write your own review and post it here?

If anyone's been down that road, its Retr0 & myself so I know what you mean :o If I may ask though, is the thread to facilitate dicussion on said reviews, or simply review links?

Edit - Apologies to LoGiE, I really should be voicing my queries by pm, slap slap EnterNow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Genius!!
    Write a review for Goldeneye then we can get a good laugh comparing the 2 reviews.

I'd do a review of Goldeneye but the visuals would make me vomit on my keyboard..

Paperboy FTW!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

EnterNow wrote: »
    If anyone's been down that road, its Retr0 & myself so I know what you mean :o If I may ask though, is the thread to facilitate dicussion on said reviews, or simply review links?

Yeah this discussion has been kind of sedate compared to usual and I'd hardly call it argung since we both seem to be agree with each other? I don't mind people discussing my reviews at all. It gives me feedback and sure I'd rather they got discussed even if people disagree with me.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yeah this discussion has been kind of sedate compared to usual and I'd hardly call it argung since we both seem to be agree with each other?

Second tremor in the force in two days....we're gonna have to get back to arguing before the laws of causality break down.

Now before LoGiE permabans me, I shall take my leave of this thread & allow it to get back on topic :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Huzzah! Its another review!
    Today Xybots

Cool video luas, cheers for taking the time to do it.

If I can be picky I thought it would have been useful just to briefly mention what the aim of the game is just for folk who hadn't played it before, maybe I'm the only one in that bracket though! :o Nice and informative it was too, you mentioned the colours on his back to show health - Dead Space used something similar if I recall correctly. Looks like a cool game, must give it a bash on mame too.

A general thanks to all for doing these reviews, it's cool when it brings a game to your attention that you haven't played before.

Now to build up the courage to read Retr0's Goldeneye review without punching the screen. :D

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Now to build up the courage to read Retr0's Goldeneye review without punching the screen. :D

Sorry man I can't quite make your post out...there's a huge crack in my tv right across the text :D

I would prefer if the discussion stuck to reviewing techniques, video and written reviews from members and suggestions for reviews. Feedback on individual reviews (Style, layout, etc) is welcome however should someone disagree strongly with a review then they should write their own review rather then posting a rebuttal in this thread. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That Xybots review has me interested in a lynx now. Looks like a great game. Never seen the original in motion, it looks amazing for its time. I wonder if the programmers could have gotten the scrolling smoother by using a raytraced engine like wolfenstein. The lynx was capable of it since it could scale and rotate images with little performance penalty and the alien vs. predator beta that is floating around shows that it was possible to do an FPS in the vein of wolfenstein 3D.

Feedback on individual reviews (Style, layout, etc)

And no one mentioned how awesome by new blog header is :( Just ignore the ign logo in one of the screenshots :P

I would prefer if the discussion stuck to reviewing techniques, video and written reviews from members and suggestions for reviews. Feedback on individual reviews (Style, layout, etc) is welcome however should someone disagree strongly with a review then they should write their own review rather then posting a rebuttal in this thread. :pac:

Thanks, at least that clarifies expectations of the thread. I genuinely was agreeing with Retr0 though (shock horror), but your right I suppose the finer details should be left for another thread :) Apologies

Pimping my crappy blog but put up my thoughts on Dragon Quest 1. Currently doing one on goldeneye to be controversial :P

http://lifein16bit.blogspot.com/2011/08/dragon-quest.html

Ok here goes, deep breath.....

Your review wasn't too bad at all actually. Some points you raised brought back fond memories of the game like the hit boxes and being able to shoot guns out of hands. I think you're probably spot on about the hit and miss level design too.

I didn't think it was accurate to compare character models or interiors to games like Mario or Starfox. Goldeneye was meant to put you in real world locations, that's apples and oranges when compared to cartoony or sci-fi settings. I'm not sure how you can spice up an underground bunker anyway. :pac:

There seemed to be a theme of comparison to pc based shooters or more modern console ones but I'm not sure if that was deliberate or not? Overall a good article, fairly balanced. Thanks for doing it! Oh and nice little article on the PAL N64 av issues.

P.S. Your new blog header was the first thing I noticed along with the VB pimping. Looks good. Would it be possible to have each game name appear when you mouse over each one? Mainly for the more obscure ones. :)

Glad you thought it was balanced, it's what I was aiming for and cut out my usual hyperbole :)

I suppose it's not fair to compare a stylised game with one that isn't. I still don't think the art design is all that good though. One part I just thought about where I don't give the game credit is the incidental details in each room, stuff like the science equipment in the labs etc., that gave them a lived in feel. This is something you would see in build engine games like Duke 3D but for a full 3D engine game Goldeneye was the first to do it and it wasn't until a year later with Half-Life that you saw these kinds of believable environments.

As for comparing Goldeneye to PC games it wasn't deliberate it's just that there's not much to compare it to on console before Goldeneye was released. I mentioned some of the features it introduced to the FPS genre that were taken from RPG and simulation genres, genres that were at the time were almost solely confined to the PC. This isn't a slight against the game as in PC got there first, it'smore to show what Goldeneye did to spice up the FPS genre by introducing all these new elements. The mission structure was present in a few obsucre FPS games like Dark Forces and the severely underappreciated Outlaws but I found Goldeneye was a lot less linear in how you achieve these objectives and also it did this in a full 3D environment as opposed to the pseudo 3D games before it based on raycasting 2D engines.

I don't compare goldeneye to earlier FPS games because I believe at the time that Goldeneye was the most advance FPS out there in terms of the ideas it introduced to the genre. In the same year the most advanced PC FPS was Quake 2, a game that really hadn't evolved much from Quake 1. In hindsight it was more technologically advanced as well but a much uglier game thanks to some poor art and overuse of coloured lighting. The levels were not believable in the way that Goldeneye made them. I guess I didn't give goldeneye enough credit in this regard.

As for comparing it to later FPS games I was really trying to find out why the game is no longer playable. A few PC games tried to mimmick the goldeneye experience, most notably Sin which was decent but a week later the big game changer came along, Half-Life which really overnight changed the way FPS games were made and set the quality bar so much higher that it was another year before games were even coming close to the quality of that game. It really just left goldeneye and ever other 3D engine based FPS behind and made us demand far more from FPS games. I feel the 2D engine games have aged more gracefully due to being unique experiences from 3D engine games.

I feel also the frame rate is a big factor. It was forgiveable when Goldeneye was released because you were getting the best FPS experience around at the time. However as it was surpassed by better games which also had smoother feeling controls due to stable 30+ frames per second it becomes less forgiveable in goldeneye.

Anyway that was practically another blog post!

As for the blog header, doing something like that would be beyond my capabilities so I'll just list them here:

Top row from the right: Virtual boy, Actraiser 2, Earthbound, Persona 4, Super Metroid
    Bottom row from the right: Shin Megami Tensei, Donkey Kong, Catherine, Dragon Quest 8, lastly my old videogame set up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

In fairness, if I'd written the post above, I would've guised it as a blog post.

As for the blog header, doing something like that would be beyond my capabilities so I'll just list them here:

Top row from the right: Virtual boy, Actraiser 2, Earthbound, Persona 4, Super Metroid
    Bottom row from the right: Shin Megami Tensei, Donkey Kong, Catherine, Dragon Quest 8, lastly my old videogame set up

Tks. The above were the two I didn't recognise. Actually picked up that Persona 4 pre-owned for a tenner recently, missing the cover but figured it might be nice to have it in the collection anyway.

You can't go wrong with either Persona 3 or 4. Fantastic titles.

You can't go wrong with either Persona 3 or 4. Fantastic titles.

That reminds me, I have the NTSC version of P3 that came with the art book and soundtrack cd, art book is really nice. Must give it go sometime.

You're best to start with Persona 3. P3 is an amazing game but I've seen some people find it hard to go back to P3 after playing P4 because of all the improvements P4 made to P3.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The jump from P3 to P4 would be a shame to miss out on because P4 really does fix pretty much every niggling concern one could have with the third one. But as retr0 said, they're both well worth playing as they each have a uniquely compelling story and it would be a shame to miss out on either. Just make sure you're willing to commit 150-200 hours of your life to the games. They're worth every minute.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

In fairness retr0 I did find the review interesting , its easy to review a game you like , but to take one that we all know you're not too found of and at least be objective makes for interesting reading.
    The one thing I always liked about Goldeneye was the fact that the coders had some access to the film sets.So if you've seen the film after playing the game , you can see that yeah ,the stairs behind bond do lead up to a gantry that in turn leads to a library, so when he runs up there and its the same path you took in the game when you shot your mate who was playing as oddjob (regarded as cheating by the way)it adds a little authenticty to the game.
    I'm actually going to dig it out and have a play myself in the next few days.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Cool video luas, cheers for taking the time to do it.

If I can be picky I thought it would have been useful just to briefly mention what the aim of the game is just for folk who hadn't played it before, maybe I'm the only one in that bracket though! :o Nice and informative it was too, you mentioned the colours on his back to show health - Dead Space used something similar if I recall correctly. Looks like a cool game, must give it a bash on mame too.

A general thanks to all for doing these reviews, it's cool when it brings a game to your attention that you haven't played before.

Cheers , to be honest I wasnt going to review the game until I received a sealed copy of it.I dont want to start getting into the 'sealed collection '
    thing , and I didnt want to waste it , so I figured I may as well film the opening , and when I'd done that I figured , feck it , I'll review.I'd originally been going to do a fairly obscure atari 8 bit game!
    The reviews are only vaguely scripted , in that I plan briefly the points I want to make then waffle into the mike while the game plays, but I'll try and add a little more structure to them in future I think, and yeah I'll try to include the aim as part of that in future(tbh in xybots the plot has you clearing a space station of rogue robots , although in reality its a run and gun maze game).
    Retr0 have you seen stun runner on the lynx, or warbirds..the lynx can actually throw 3d graphics around fairly handily at least to the level of an average mid nineties pc, so I'd say it could have done wolfenstein 3d style animation.Even without it its a good, fast game.

Obscure C64 games ahoy
    StarAce, I remembered it as being great.It is not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mr Vengeance

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Guys there is a civil war going on in Libiya at the mo

Lets not start one here:D

But i agree Halo is ****

I've argued aobut the merits of Halo more than any other topic ever on the internet. I love it and its my favourite in the series (which has admittedly become quite samey in recent entries). I suppose, my argument down through the years was as follows:

"You're not playing it properly!!1"

Thems were the days! :D

For me Halo is like a 3D Contra that needs to be played on a high difficulty setting to get the blood pumping. There's loads of depth in the gameplay that you have to uncover on the higher settings.

But its all subjective in the end, and some people just don't get it. I never really got the buzz from Half Life or Call of Duty 4 to be honest with you....

Halo being compared to Contra? That's a slight against contra :) I've played Halo on the higher difficulty levels and there's not difference other than 1. the AI doesn't change but the enemies become bullet sponges, and 2. it gets really frustrating and not a whole of fun anymore compared to the more managable easier difficulties. It's definitely no where near as rewarding as working out a Contra boss and then executing the skills to beat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Think Cideys alternate account has gone public:pac:

Right , taking a break after this , as I'm knackered.
    After the rubbish game from yesterday , I wanted to look at something decent , so an obscure shooter called Zybex was the order of the day

since it isnt a japanese game , and wasnt released on the pc engine or NEoGeo or the like none of you lot will probably have heard of it ..but it was AWWWWWSUM!!(unless you had the spectrum version ,in which case it was kinda crap).Also on uploading this I got my "you can post videos over 15 mins" flag..so time to post that 16 hour 'nyan cat' clip ;)

Something new!
    History of Batman games on just about everything (part one )
    Its hosted over at gamersireland.ie (as I'll be putting some special content up there over the coming months)
    embedded vid to follow but heres the link for now.

http://www.gamersireland.ie/?p=9912

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mr Vengeance

Halo being compared to Contra? That's a slight against contra :) I've played Halo on the higher difficulty levels and there's not difference other than 1. the AI doesn't change but the enemies become bullet sponges, and 2. it gets really frustrating and not a whole of fun anymore compared to the more managable easier difficulties. It's definitely no where near as rewarding as working out a Contra boss and then executing the skills to beat it.

I see what you mean and I don't expect a whole load of people to agree with me because Halo, like a lot of popular series, divides opinion.

I think the reason it devides opinion is that a lot of people expected it to be perfect after all the hype down through the years. And the Halo games aren't perfect. Halo 1 had some **** levels, Halo 2 ended abysmally, and Halo 3 was one of the biggest letdowns for me in the history of gaming - a superb game taken by itself, but it was nearly unchanged from Halo 2. The first level was very pretty and pushed the 360 hard, but the rest of the game could nearly have been done on the Xbox 1, albeit in lower resolution, in my opinion. I spent the entire gaming waiting, ney hoping it would sparkle. It never came.

Halo 3 ODST is my favourite Halo game on the 360 as it at least offered some innovation, along with the traditional top-notch gameplay. Reach was very good too, but overall, the series does need a big dose of innovation at this stage - after the completely unnecessary remake this Christmas I am hoping the next entry in the series next year will be different - here's hoping for bigger, more open levels, more enemies on screen, some exploration and a weapons upgrade system a la Resident Evil 4 - something to make it stand out, both within the Halo context and the genre as a whole.

Having said all of that though, Halo is still a lot of fun, no matter which version you play. Its a simple game, done well.

Advertisement