Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Stuff Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I have issues with Venter and his fondness for patents, but f*ck me that's amazing news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

So here's the question:
    When they eventually fully simulate a human being (note the spelling, it's not "stimulate"), and make further advances with 3D Printing, will they be able to print out a human?
    I am only half-kidding with this question.

Imagine going into your local Office Supplies shop and asking:

Me: Please make me 3 copies.

Staff: Of what?

Me: Of me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,988 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Kivaro wrote: »
    So here's the question:
    When they eventually fully simulate a human being
    if they ever eventually *fully* simulate a human being, that would imply it is sentient. would they be able to turn off the computer then without commiting murder?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

if they ever eventually *fully* simulate a human being, that would imply it is sentient. would they be able to turn off the computer then without commiting murder?

computer-shut-down.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

I read that post title as 'Scientists simulate an entire orgasm in software for the first time'...

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Does anybody think that maybe sentience or consciousness is contingent on metabolism? I think simulations would have to take that into account.

ninja900 wrote: »
    I read that post title as 'Scientists simulate an entire orgasm in software for the first time'...

Take your head out of the gutter ........
    But then again, the simulation was that of a sexually transmitted bacteria.
    Does anybody think that maybe sentience or consciousness is contingent on metabolism? I think simulations would have to take that into account.

So will this be Data (Star Trek) Ver 1?

But your question is very interesting.
    Including sentience or consciousness takes it to a different level altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Does anybody think that maybe sentience or consciousness is contingent on metabolism?
    Consciousness dependent on eating and $hitting? No.
    I see where you are coming from though; it would need an energy source. But this research is only a simulation, it is not an actual bio-engineered bacterium.

Still its nice to know that when they simulate the first man, simulated Mycoplasma genitaliumwill already be there, waiting to give him an itchy scrotum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

recedite wrote: »
    Consciousness dependent on eating and $hitting? No.

No I mean the entire set of chemical processes that occur within a living organism in order to maintain life, including the workings of nerve cells and neurons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 badspealler

ninja900 wrote: »

LMAO : )

Cheers for the giggle ; )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Moncrieff today might be of interest to some. On Newstalk.

http://www.newstalk.ie/2012/featured-5-slideshow-homepage/on-moncrieff-today-mike-dilger-life-after-murder-and-fake-baby-dolls/
    Fionn Davenport’s sitting in for Sean today. He’ll be joined by Labour TD Gerald Nash, live in studio for News and a Natter. Tune in to hear his views on the stories of the day. That’s at 1.30.

At 2.05 we speak to David Niose, President of the American Humanist Association, and author of ‘Nonbeliever Nation: The Rise of Secular Americans’

What is the guidebook for the urban age? We speak to author Peter Smith at 2.20.

At 2.35 tune in to hear from Mike Dilger, Author of “My Garden and the Other Animals” & presenter on BBC 1’s The ONE Show

At 2.45, Henry Mckean investigates the world of fake baby dolls in Ireland.

At 3 o’clock, Andrea Pappin is in studio for her weekly look at stories from around the world.

At 3.35, could you live with life after murder?

And at 3.45 today, it’s time for John Kelleher’s weekly obituary slot. This week he looks at the life of Donald J. Sobol, Creator of Encyclopedia Brown

And at 4.05, are we experiencing the rise of apocalyptic thinking? We speak to Mathew Gross Co Author of “Last Myth: What the Rise of Apocalyptic Thinking tells us about America”

For all this and more, Moncrieff live from 1.30-4.30 Monday- Friday.

Ahh shoyt, just noticing that Fionn Davenport is sitting in.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

“You don’t really understand how something works until you can reproduce it yourself,” says graduate student and co-author Jayodita Sanghvi.

From http://venturebeat.com/2012/07/21/big-leap-in-bio-engineering-scientists-simulate-an-entire-organism-in-software-for-the-first-time-ever/

Can't wait for Human 2.0!
    I see your computer simulation and raise you an actual artificial jellyfish.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18953034

MrP

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,988 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

fake baby dolls?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

The Muppets dump Chick-Fil-A (restaurant with christian 'values') over their homophobic comments.
    The Jim Henson Company has celebrated and embraced diversity and inclusiveness for over fifty years and we have notified Chick-Fil-A that we do not wish to partner with them on any future endeavors. Lisa Henson, our CEO is personally a strong supporter of gay marriage and has directed us to donate the payment we received from Chick-Fil-A to GLAAD. (http://www.glaad.org/)

I'd love to see Bruno, (Sacha Baron Cohen) visit a few of their restaurants.

For anyone who may have seen Bruno (2009)

Brüno: Look at the four of us; we are so like the Sex in the City girls!
    Donny: Oh no, we aren't either!
    Brüno: Which one are you, Donny?
    Donny: I ain't any one of them, I'm Donny.
    Brüno: That is such a Samantha thing to say! :D:D

MrPudding wrote: »
    I see your computer simulation and raise you an actual artificial jellyfish.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18953034

MrP
    I'm pleasantly surprised at how close we are getting to matching the natural biological performance, but also that we're seeing ways in which we can probably improve on that natural performance. The process of evolution missed a lot of good solutions."

Perhaps a rocket propelled jellyfish is next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

f31IQ2.jpg

So that's how God fooled us.

• Advertisement

Mars One plans suicide mission to Red Planet for 2023.
    There will be a reality show to fund the trip.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/07/24/is-mars-one-serious-about-suicide-mission-to-red-planet/

This one-way mission is of course the brainchild of a Dutchman.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I for one would watch that show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Where so I sign up?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Day 523 in the Mars One probe... :yawn:

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Mars One plans suicide mission to Red Planet for 2023.
    Idea taken from here, no doubt:

http://www.geekwire.com/2012/reality-series-be-microsoft-employee/

fitz0 wrote: »
    Where so I sign up?

The thing is all the geeks will presume that smokin' hot women will sign up for this gig, and the accommodation will be something similar to that of a Starship.

Where to sign up, you ask???????

(Just below my name .....)

Meanwhile, NASA has maintained that future missions will probably involve robots.
    I'm looking forward to watching the reality TV show as the turf war develops on Mars between the Nasa robots and the suicidal humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Ha and people called me stupid for buying land on Mars. Well who's stupid now? Huh?

If the people land on your bit, you can start charging rent. But how are you going to collect it from them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Western Union will probably be easiest...

Advertisement